Search

Chromebook and Microsoft Office 365

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Chromebook and Microsoft Office 365

I have a subscription to Office 365, which I think includes OneNote and storage for documents. I have used it mainly with the Office apps on an iPad. I was wondering if people had any experience that they could share concerning using it with a Chromebook (the web Office 365 version). Particularly concerning document workflow, say someone mails you a Word doc and you want to edit and return as a Word doc. We use Google docs a lot but sometimes go to Word for a variety of reasons. I was trying to understand how Office 365 could help that or would it be better to go Word-Google doc-word? Thanks for any insight and experience that you can share.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:37 am

I've dabbled a little with Office 365 on my Chromebook, and it seemed to work decently. My best piece of advice would be to see how things work with Chrome on your PC. That should provide the same experience as the Chromebook.

Or, even better (maybe), if you have a Windows 8 PC: CHrome can launch in Chrome Desktop 'mode'. GIve that a spin to see if it meets your needs.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:18 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by dakuda
I've dabbled a little with Office 365 on my Chromebook, and it seemed to work decently. My best piece of advice would be to see how things work with Chrome on your PC. That should provide the same experience as the Chromebook.

Or, even better (maybe), if you have a Windows 8 PC: CHrome can launch in Chrome Desktop 'mode'. GIve that a spin to see if it meets your needs.
I second this.

I feel the best Microsoft Office is still desktop however... but hopefully that will change soon... 365 still has better formatting than GDOCs though.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
I second this.

I feel the best Microsoft Office is still desktop however... but hopefully that will change soon... 365 still has better formatting than GDOCs though.
Office on the desktop will be even better when Windows 10 comes out
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by dakuda

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
I second this.

Well, I am finding it extremely frustrating. I created a document in Office on the Desktop and tried saving to OneDrive. No dice, finally figured out I had to share to my OneDrive account. Okay. The desktop Word sees it. The iPad Word sees it. Office online doesn't see it. It just isn't there. How is that possible?

Edited to add: I found the document. No idea why it was in such a, for me, nonintuitive place. Someone at Microsoft should get a Mac and try using iCloud.

Edited to add: I tried saving from my office desktop to OneDrive. I can save and then see it in Chrome when I save blank test documents, but a real document vanishes into the ether. I can see the document on Word on my iPad but not on Word on my desktop Word program or my Office 365 version of Word in Chrome.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jan 26, 2015 at 7:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.