Reload this Page >

Travel without technology?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel without technology?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
It's been a long time..... I last did without internet in Fiji, 2001. I had access to email, from one of my customer's PCs at the office, and that was it. Similar situation in Nairobi, 2002. The hotel had a modem port in every room, but the quality of the local system was so bad that I only managed a connection once in over a month.

These days, you can get internet pretty much everywhere. Even my hotel in the (pretty much broken) city of Kinshasa offered a slow (and free) satellite connection, via mostly reliable WiFi in the room.

To not have internet, you'd have to be going out to really remote areas; the kinds of places that only NGOs really go to (and even they will be packing a portable satellite internet hotspot, these days).
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I used to appreciate being offline, but now it just causes me severe anxiety. I suppose it's a combination of aging parents who have both have been hospitalized several times in the last couple of years and greater job responsibilities.

There was hell to pay about five years ago when I as emergency contact was unreachable because I was undergoing a lengthy dental procedure.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:22 pm

Sometimes we go camping or backpacking specifically to get away from TV, Internet, etc. and to refocus our minds in a way that's hard to do in the modern world. At home I'm online much of the day, and my kid does some cyberschool lessons, so he's online a lot, too. It's nice to look at trees and stars instead of screens.

While camping or hiking I carry my cell phone, turned off, just in case of emergency, but I figure that pretty much anything else can wait until I get back home.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
You must use that token a lot if it's giving you RSI...
LOL, funny typo. Although I have to type that damned number in so often I feel like I'll get RSI. I work remotely, so everything I do is by VPN or remote access.

I hate that token with the burning heat of a thousand suns....
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by wco81
The must-have gadget thread made me wonder if people here would ever go to places which didn't have reliable connectivity or even electricity.

Or would be inclined to consider other destinations where there were no such restrictions.

I guess we can't do polls here. Comedians used to joke about how people couldn't go camping because they wouldn't be able to plug in their TVs or other electric conveniences.

Maybe even 15-20 years ago, there would still be a lot of places in developed countries which didn't offer any connectivity, even as the dot com boom was gaining all kinds of momentum.

Even today, you'll see hotel reviews with complaints about Wifi signals being weak or absent in the rooms.

Not only that, more and more people are seeking mobile roaming (either through local SIMs or international data roaming deals) in various countries so that they'll always be connected.

How many here would rule out destinations where there wasn't going to be connectivity (or reliable electricity)?

Say cruises or climbing some peaks somewhere or safaris? Or maybe some areas in the developing world?
I wouldn't rule out a destination just because there wasn't connectivity, but there would have to be some pretty strong reasons that I would choose it -- that is, unplugging my tech and being off the grid would not be reason enough. If I wanted what was there, a lack of connectivity probably wouldn't stop me.

Also, I frequently travel alone, and I do like the connectivity option for safety (I am a middle aged woman). When I buy a SIM to use my smartphone in my vacation destination, I use it primarily for accessing online maps -- nothing I couldn't do on paper, but it's more convenient and less obvious on a phone -- and as a safety connection. I do often send "travel log" emails to my family, but that's more at their request than for my desire, and I'd be just as happy not to.

All that being said, my current work really does benefit from being able to check my email at least a couple of times a week. I am self employed and it would be best for client retention if I didn't ignore their requests for too long and let them start to think about hiring someone else
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
How was it to catch up on a week or more worth of emails, messages, RSS feeds, etc?

Or do you figure that period was dark and you will just pick up from when you return?
For me that's just the price of the chance to get away from it all for a while. Catching up sucks, but so does burning out.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When I go overseas I don't bother to make sure my phone works there. I'll go a week or so with no texting or phone calls. The only technology I'll use is wifi in my hotel room. Amazing how much more reading I get done when I don't have my phone with me.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:50 pm

1) My new work phone's end user agreement from my employer has a specific clause "Removal of this device from the continental United States constitutes theft. In the even you remove the device from the continental United States, the device will be deactivate and [employer's security department] will report the device stolen to Federal law enforcement authorities."

Though onerous in implementation. I'll gladly leave my work phone behind when traveling internationally.

2) Prior to the implementation of #1 above, I often traveled out of coverage in sub-saharan Africa. The bane of my existence was finishing up a great trip and getting back into coverage only to have the next few hours spoilt seeing scores of petty work-related issues stream into my device. While they may not have required immediate action, it was a scroll of flipping petty issues, problems, turf wars, etc. that made me dread getting back on the plane home. I'm glad #1 was put in place. Now, I can just leave it behind!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
There are times, like out in the middle of an ocean, but for the most part I want
to have access.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
In the even you remove the device from the continental United States, the device will be deactivate and [employer's security department] will report the device stolen to Federal law enforcement authorities."
Hahaha. Federal law enforcement might not be able to stop laughing at their report.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
Hahaha. Federal law enforcement might not be able to stop laughing at their report.
Yeah, that seems like an...odd stipulation.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:05 pm

I barely use internet when I'm traveling -- I'm still that person who only uploads holiday photos a couple weeks after getting back home. I used to like the idea of completely unplugging, but now it feels better to be reachable just in case anything serious happens back home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.