Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Landline phone system

Landline phone system

Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by Fornebufox
Luddite that I am, I still maintain a landline, mostly for the convenience of certain callers and for emergencies. But yesterday I reached my limit with all the junk calls: my 25-year-old cordless works perfectly well BUT it lacks a caller display screen. Any recommendations for a decent replacement? Preferably with at least 2 handsets.

CNET doesn't even cover landlines anymore!
The cheapest multiple-handset system you can find at Wal-Mart/BestBuy/wherever. These days they're all pretty much the same.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I do think Panasonic is still a notch above the rest. With that said, I bought V-Tech. Mainly because Mrs. Swede uses it as her business line and wanted a cordless earpiece.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I've been very happy with my Panasonic cordless system. The handsets have a small headphone jack, so I have a Plantronics headset plugged into one of them. I can wander around the house if I want while talking hands free.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:01 pm

Another vote for Panasonic. I bought the set from Costco and it links to my cell phone (via Bluetooth) which is handy because you can answer cell calls from any handset on the land line. It also blocks something like 250 phone numbers so not only can you ignore numbers you don't know, you can block the ones you never want to talk to.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:13 pm

Very happy with my AT&T SynJ 4-line system.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My parents have a V-Tech something with bluetooth so they can use their mobile phones with it. Dad likes it because mom uses her unlimited minutes for long distance, they get to keep just the "basic" line for service.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
we use a panasonic cordless system that only has the base station/answering machine connected by wire and the rest of the headsets around the house are wireless. Now that we switched to $5/mo phone through the cable company with unlimited long distance, it is good for all calls. Still better and more reliable quality than my mobile at our house.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:44 pm
Suspended

BTW, Costco presently has the Panasonic 3-handset landline cordless phone on sale for $39.99 thru next week. That's as good a deal as I've seen on a landline cordless phone.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I think Panasonic has the worst interface and user manuals on the planet. This goes for their consumer and small business systems. I would look for some other brand.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have both VTech (home phone) and Panasonic (home office phone) systems. I'd pick VTech every time. Always an annoying operational glitch with the Panasonic, notably not being able to make a call because the handset isn't communicating with the base.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
I have VTech w/ 4 sets. Love it. Get the batteries for cheap on ebay.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I have the Panasonic and like them because they take regular AAA NiMH batteries.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
We have the Panny Bluetooth. Love it.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I know I'll take some ribbing for this thread, but I still have a landline.
No ribbing from me.

All you need is to experience a major disaster in your area (i.e., Katrina & subsequent flooding) and you'll find out the value of having a landline. No cellphone service. No internet. Couldn't use the digital phone connected to the landline. Being a semi-Luddite, we keep an old analog phone connected to the landline as it was the only way to connect to the outside world.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
No ribbing from me.

All you need is to experience a major disaster in your area (i.e., Katrina & subsequent flooding) and you'll find out the value of having a landline. No cellphone service. No internet. Couldn't use the digital phone connected to the landline. Being a semi-Luddite, we keep an old analog phone connected to the landline as it was the only way to connect to the outside world.
Agreed. And if you evacuate before the disaster a land line helps you monitor when to return. (e.g if the phone rings and answering machine picks up I know likely that power is restored and house is standing)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.