Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

LTE coverage using iPhone 6/6+

Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Seems like most every LTE band works with iPhone 6/6+...

I have Verizon, and have unlimited international data through work. Planning a trip to Japan in May - will LTE roaming data work there?

Also, for future reference, does anyone have experience with the iPhone 6/6+ in other countries? (LTE)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:53 pm

To my knowledge, Verizon doesn't have any LTE international global roaming agreements. 3G, yes, they have negotiated rates and billing with carriers in many countries.

AT&T does offer some global roaming agreements with LTE
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=37438

The upside is that the Verizon iPhones come unlocked, so you can purchase a Japanese LTE data sim. Downside - It wouldn't necessarily be that much faster than your included 3G roaming as prepaid visitor data sims in Japan are all from MVNOs which get throttled. Encroaching on the "PrePaid SIM Japan " thread a bit, you'd need to rent a docomo sim to get the "domestic subscriber experience" http://www.jcrcorp.com/mobile/mobile_rental_simcard.htm

Last edited by freecia; Jan 14, 2015 at 10:53 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Sun Country Ufly
Not the thread jack but how does one (after inserting sim card) turn on/activate the sim and then after the sim turn off that service and re-activate Verizon once stateside?

Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toby16custom
Not the thread jack but how does one (after inserting sim card) turn on/activate the sim and then after the sim turn off that service and re-activate Verizon once stateside?

Thanks
Activate the SIM per the instructions from the SIM provider.

Re-activate Verizon by putting its SIM back in the phone.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

LTE Coverage...

Back from my 2 trips to Japan now - LTE coverage was excellent all throughout Japan. Had full LTE coverage in Tokyo, Kyoto and everywhere in between. Granted, I have unlimited global data through work, but was still good solid coverage with my iPhone 6.
**I DID NOT use another SIM - used my Verizon SIM the whole time.

Also had a friend/coworker that went to a remote island in Indonesia and had excellent/fast 3G coverage (North Maluku), yet Verizon's international coverage map said there would be no service at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.