Wiki Posts
Search

How to get rid of Nav-links

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
How to get rid of Nav-links

Suddenly, it seems my Chrome browser started show up hyperlinks (blue font and double underscore). I just noticed them a few days ago. It only appears on certain web pages such as FlyerTalk and a few newsites.

I use AVG, MalwareBytes regularly for scans and nothing shows up for viruses. I click on the hyperlinks and if I click on the question mark, it will take me to nav-links.com and asks if I want to opt-out. I click on opt out but they are still there.

I google on how to get rid of them and each of the suggestions do not work.

Does anyone else have suggestions?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Try an adblocker.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

I have an adblocker (AdblockPlus as an extension of Chrome). As it turns out, about the time I noticed these hyperlinks, I was getting a popup asking for a contribution for the use of FlashFree extension. I just closed it when it would appear. Right afterwards, the nav-links started showing up. I disabled the flash free extension and no more links.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I have an adblocker (AdblockPlus as an extension of Chrome). As it turns out, about the time I noticed these hyperlinks, I was getting a popup asking for a contribution for the use of FlashFree extension. I just closed it when it would appear. Right afterwards, the nav-links started showing up. I disabled the flash free extension and no more links.
Sounds like FlashFree is actually adware. Chrome's own Click-to-Play feature should do most of what you likely wanted that for.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Type chrome://extensions into the address bar and double check you haven't picked up any extensions you don't want - sure sounds like an adware extension to me.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Type chrome://extensions into the address bar and double check you haven't picked up any extensions you don't want - sure sounds like an adware extension to me.
I did. I only have a few extensions I use and nothing was unusual. I did unclick the FlashFree extension and that solved the problem. As previously stated, I received a few popup message from whom I assume was the creator of this particular extension for a "donation" to support the use. I declined and closed each popup. After that, the nav-links showed up.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did. I only have a few extensions I use and nothing was unusual. I did unclick the FlashFree extension and that solved the problem. As previously stated, I received a few popup message from whom I assume was the creator of this particular extension for a "donation" to support the use. I declined and closed each popup. After that, the nav-links showed up.
Sounds like this guy is trying to punish non-donators by monetizing on other ways. Might be worth leaving a complaint on the Chrome Extensions page and/or seeing if there is a way to report/flag the bad extension (I'm pretty sure Google does some amount of curation on Chrome Extensions.)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the extension has already been savaged in the reviews on the Chrome web store for this.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I didn't even think to go back to Chrome store to give them a review. I did read some of the recent ones left behind. I deleted the extension all together and added one from a different company (had excellent reviews).
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster

So a few days ago I stopped using the extension (and deleted completely). Imagine my surpise that it showed up again yesterday (with the annoying popup asking for "donations" to the web company for the free extension. I closed the popup and the nav-links showed up again. I go back to Google Chrome and the stupid extension was back there (and enabled). How annoying. I guess I will check my extensions in Google Chrome every couple of days to ensure it stays gone.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So a few days ago I stopped using the extension (and deleted completely). Imagine my surpise that it showed up again yesterday (with the annoying popup asking for "donations" to the web company for the free extension. I closed the popup and the nav-links showed up again. I go back to Google Chrome and the stupid extension was back there (and enabled). How annoying. I guess I will check my extensions in Google Chrome every couple of days to ensure it stays gone.
Are you sure you deleted it the last time around, by clicking the little trash can icon?

If so, you must have re-installed it without realizing.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure you deleted it the last time around, by clicking the little trash can icon?

I've had some problems with getting rid of extensions in Firefox because of sync; I remove it on one machine, and it doesn't tell sync about it, and then it re-installs after forgetting to remove it on another machine syncing to the same account.

Not sure if Chrome can have the same issue, but might be worth looking into.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
I've had some problems with getting rid of extensions in Firefox because of sync; I remove it on one machine, and it doesn't tell sync about it, and then it re-installs after forgetting to remove it on another machine syncing to the same account.

Not sure if Chrome can have the same issue, but might be worth looking into.
Ah, this makes sense. Come to think of it, similar things have happened to me.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

I did click on the trash icon to delete it. I am going to keep monitoring my extensions to make sure it doesn't come back.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:03 pm

If the malicious extension comes back (likely due to sync) try resetting your sync data via google dashboard https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync

Also if you need a well-trusted flash blocker, go with FlashControl. It's clean and its been around for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.