Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How do I convert a micro SD card to FAT32 format?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

I have a phone that accepts 32GB SD cards and I have a 64GB card. To use it on the phone I need to convert the card to the FAT32. Anyone know of a reliable tool?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Format it in your favorite PC or use Disk Utility on a Mac. You can get a microSD to SD adapter cheaply if your card did not come with one.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
Format it in your favorite PC
Tried but there are only two options - NTFS (?) and exFAT?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Here is a tool for you -

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:48 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Windows 8 suggestion here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:42 pm

Let the phone format the SD card!@:-)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glob99
Let the phone format the SD card!@:-)
It does not even recognize the card.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
If you have access to Linux, you can (try to) read the mSD card and reformat it (FAT32) - i have the stable Mint OS loaded on USB stick to boot up from, and have very good results reading even damaged SD card, recovery & reformatting are more challenging otherwise.
What about a digital camera (perhaps it will need an adapter) for reformatting ?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a phone that accepts 32GB SD cards and I have a 64GB card. To use it on the phone I need to convert the card to the FAT32. Anyone know of a reliable tool?
Since you say the phone doesn't recognize the card I think there's another factor here and reformatting probably won't do you any good, the phone will probably never speak to the card.

You say the phone accepts 32gb "SD" cards. 32gb is a special value here--it's the maximum possible SDHC card. Any card above this must be SDXC--and devices from the SDHC era won't recognize them. (I used quotes around "SD" because there is no such thing as a 32gb SD card--I forget the breakpoint between SD and SDHC but it's far below 32gb.)

Given that capacity limit I think it's very likely the phone does not recognize SDXC cards and there is no question your card is a SDXC card.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Choose exFAT. That's what I used for 64GB microSDXC. After formatting, worked fine on my SGS4.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Since you say the phone doesn't recognize the card I think there's another factor here and reformatting probably won't do you any good, the phone will probably never speak to the card.

You say the phone accepts 32gb "SD" cards. 32gb is a special value here--it's the maximum possible SDHC card. Any card above this must be SDXC--and devices from the SDHC era won't recognize them. (I used quotes around "SD" because there is no such thing as a 32gb SD card--I forget the breakpoint between SD and SDHC but it's far below 32gb.)

Given that capacity limit I think it's very likely the phone does not recognize SDXC cards and there is no question your card is a SDXC card.
I had an S2 which could take only 32GB and I was able to format my SD card to FAT32 and use it. I had the same initial problem in that the phone wouldn't even recognize the card. After formatting everything worked well.

I can't remember where I got the tool to format the card which is why I posted this thread. Since my personal laptop is down at the moment, I was also hoping there is another way to do this without having to download anything i.e. directly through the computer.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For some odd reason, I couldn't get my Windows 8 laptop to format a 64GB SDXC correctly. I eventually formatted it using my digital camera.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.