Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2015: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2015: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Motorola is giving out a $140 discount code starting 11AM Central Time on 2nd February, which should bring the MotoX down to a very attractive price point, for those who prefer to buy their handsets outright.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The HTC One M7 for ATT is $150 right now BRAND NEW from BEST BUY of all places. Like I said, I love the Moto G, but these 2013/2014 flagships in the $150-$200 price range really make it harder to justify. This is an amazing deal for people using ATT MVNOs, and unlock codes can be had for $4 or less if you want to use it on other networks. The ease of converting this to a GPE phone make it an even better deal, but I've always found Sense to be FAR more tolerable than TouchWiz and, at times, even useful (I like the idea behind BlinkFeed even if it is a bit of a resource hog).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SQ421
Motorola is giving out a $140 discount code starting 11AM Central Time on 2nd February, which should bring the MotoX down to a very attractive price point, for those who prefer to buy their handsets outright.
AKA, in most cases, those who can do math.

(There are exceptions where the subsidy wins, but not many.)
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If the Asus Zenfone 2 is actually going to be priced $199 off-contract (assuming with 2GB RAM/16GB ROM), then I think it could be an amazing value.
Disappointing to hear that the $199 price-point is now going to be a 5" 720p 1st-gen 32-bit Atom proc model. My guess is that the 5.5" 1080p models will start at $399.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:16 pm

I went from a Blackberry to a Motorola Droid Razr HD Maxx...and absolutely hated the Motorola. Sound quality was poor, didn't have enough RAM, didn't feel good in-hand, interface and UI was poor (Who the heck thought light gray letters on a white background was a good interface idea on a mobile phone)?

Now have a Note 4 and it's the first touch-screen phone I'm happy with. Battery life is acceptable (but still not Blackberry-good), reasonably well-designed. Has enough RAM that the bloat isn't anywhere near as noticeable as the Motorola was.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The new Motos from the X/G and Droid Maxx/Mini and onward are completely different animals...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Motorola introduced the new E today, has 8 GB on board memory, LTE bands (supports all the T-Mobile bands), bit bigger screen. Price is expected to be around $150.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/25/new-moto-e/
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Dirt
Great to see LTE available on an entry level phone. Now where is the 2nd gen Moto G with LTE? That would the phone with my ideal size, specs and price.

Motorola has been on the roll with X, G and E models, developed under the stewardship of Google. Hope the sale to Lenovo won't take wind out of Motorola's sails, and pray they don't get the idea of putting superfish on Android.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The LG G2 can be had for around $210 right now. Unfortunately, the T-Mobile version doesn't have wireless charging capabilities--but it has built-in wifi calling.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Z3 is an excellent phone to get, great camera(for a phone), excellent battery life and waterproof too which is always a plus.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Is it me or is it getting harder to decide what phone to get these days? My HTC M7 is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm ready to upgrade. Was hoping the M9 (announced today) would be an easy decision...but while it has solid specs it's basically still the same design, and I was hoping for something a bit different for the next two years. The Galaxy S6 (also announced today) looks a lot nicer than previous Galaxy models...but I've always disliked the physical home button and I hate the idea of losing my front facing speakers. Seems like everything is a trade off or a compromise. So I have no idea what to buy at this point.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: TK Elite+(*G), UA*S, IHG Plat, Avis First
If you like off contract world phones, I've been really happy with my OnePlus One. It was a pain to get in the beginning due to their invite system, but they do have open orders every Tuesday. Spec-wise, it's a beast compared to most on the market, and has great global capability.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
So I have no idea what to buy at this point.
If you don't need a subsidized phone, and don't mind the high price, the Nexus 6 is almost the full package.

If you want something a little more affordable, or a little smaller in the hand, the new Moto X is a great choice -- only real downside for general use is the camera which is a bit dated in that it lacks OIS.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nkedel
If you don't need a subsidized phone, and don't mind the high price, the Nexus 6 is almost the full package.

If you want something a little more affordable, or a little smaller in the hand, the new Moto X is a great choice -- only real downside for general use is the camera which is a bit dated in that it lacks OIS.
Thanks. Actually, I'm on Sprint. It looks as if they charge $199 for the N6 with a 2 year contract extension...although the only option appears to be 32gb in blue. How much is it un-subsidized?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Thanks. Actually, I'm on Sprint. It looks as if they charge $199 for the N6 with a 2 year contract extension...although the only option appears to be 32gb in blue. How much is it un-subsidized?
$650 (32 GB) or $700 (64 GB, if you can find it), give or take a few bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.