Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2015: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2015: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Any interest in the new Moto X Pure Edition coming in September and unlocked for all US carriers? Great specs - now waiting to see about camera.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I just bought new iPhone 6 plus and it's great! We just upgrade it. We won't need the old iPhone 4, but it was very small. I like a bigger iPhone and it's much better. I can barely see it.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by N830MH
I just bought new iPhone 6 plus and it's great! We just upgrade it. We won't need the old iPhone 4, but it was very small. I like a bigger iPhone and it's much better. I can barely see it.

just to be clear, the new iphone 6s and 6s+ are due to be announced in about two weeks, probably available within a month.?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jwhite4304
Any interest in the new Moto X Pure Edition coming in September and unlocked for all US carriers? Great specs - now waiting to see about camera.
More interested in the Moto X Play for the slightly smaller screen, more efficient processor, and larger battery... unfortunately it's going to be Verizon exclusive in the USA as the Droid Maxx 2. It will still be $300 off-contract, so I'm hoping there's at least partial AT&T LTE band band support... otherwise I may look into importing one from Canada or just go with a Zenfone 2 64gb.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
just to be clear, the new iphone 6s and 6s+ are due to be announced in about two weeks, probably available within a month.?
It's been confirmed that the announcement is on September 9 (well, Apple's event is on September 9); most rumors suggest the iPhone 6S will be available on the September 18.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jwhite4304
Mixed reviews:
WSJ: Moto X Pure Edition Review: One of the Year’s Best Smartphone Bargains

The 21-megapixel camera is the most disappointing aspect of the Moto X. Daytime shots are sharp with natural colors, but nighttime and low-light shots are the complete opposite. Most of these have been washed in darkness and full of noise. I even took a few pictures that were so bad you can’t clearly make out what I was attempting to photograph.

I asked Motorola about the poor low-light shooting. The company says they’re working on software updates that will improve that performance.

While it remains to be seen if a software fix really could help, there’s also no manual mode in the camera app, and no optical image stabilization—two things that likely could have helped the Moto X’s low-light photos. Compared to Motorola’s past camera travesties, this is an improvement. But the cameras we’ve seen this year in phones from Apple, LG and Samsung are much better (and come at higher cost).

Wired: Review: Moto X Pure Edition

The camera doesn’t suck anymore. The 21-megapixel camera on the back takes clean, sharp photos in most situations, and even does well enough in low light that I wouldn’t fear taking this phone anywhere. Ditto the 4K video, which looks great. The phone does have a tendency to slightly de-saturate photos shot in bright light, making everything look a little duller than real life. But that’s nothing an Instagram filter can’t solve. The camera is fast, too, as is the twisty gesture you make to access it. It’s not the best camera you can get—that’d be the Samsung lineup or the iPhone—but it’s good enough.

My only lingering issues with the camera are with its app. I hate its shooting mechanic, where you just tap on the screen and it focuses, exposes, and captures in one fell swoop. Over and over, it just missed focus—and enabling, then awkwardly dragging the focus ring around is hardly a real solution. It’s even weirdly confusing to use; most people understand what a shutter button looks like, but hand someone your phone and say, “Just poke the screen anywhere,” and see how that goes. I will say this: It is a ridiculously fast way to take pictures. Shooting landscapes, people, anything easy, you’ll be fine. But I stood at a concert last weekend, trying to photograph the performers, and I mostly just got blurred mess. Still, though—it’s mostly a great camera.

The Verge: Motorola Moto X Pure Edition review

Perhaps the biggest (and most anticipated) upgrade from last year to this is the Moto X’s new 21-megapixel camera. It’s a significant leap in both resolution and capability over the 13-megapixel model from last year, and it does a much better job at taking photos. But last year’s model set a really low bar, and while the new camera is much better, it’s still outclassed by Apple, LG, and Samsung’s cameras.

Images taken in good lighting conditions are bright and colorful, though there’s a tendency for them to look over-sharpened. It makes the images look unnaturally digital and not as attractive as those captured by the Note 5, iPhone 6 Plus, or G4. In poor lighting, the Moto X does a much better job than before, but it still misses focus often and pictures come out much softer than I’d expect. I also wish it had optical image stabilization, which has basically become a must for any premier smartphone.

If this sounds like I’m being overly critical of the camera, that’s because I am. The camera is one of the most important features on any smartphone, and it’s something that many people use every single day. It’s one of the few things that can make or ruin a smartphone experience, as my colleague Vlad Savov has pointed out time and again. The Moto X’s camera isn’t bad by any means, it’s just not as good as other options.

On the plus side, the Moto X’s camera is better than virtually any other option in its price range, including the OnePlus 2 or ZTE Axon Pro. Its app is also quick, and the twist gesture to launch the camera is faster and more reliable than before. (It’s still not as quick as Samsung’s double tap on the home button, however.) But if you’re looking for the absolute best smartphone camera, the Moto X doesn’t have it.
I'm seriously considering the Moto X Pure to replace my slow, laggy and prone to freeze year and a half old LG G2.

I really like the fact that it comes without all of Verizon's bloatware and that it has no manufacturer overlay or skin which affects performance; however, I'm now using the phone as my camera when traveling and this could be a deal breaker.

I guess that I will not pre-order and just wait until I can experiment with it myself before I decide.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Sounds like just using the Google Camera app (or some other 3rd party camera app) would take care of most of the camera-related complaints.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:21 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
...however, I'm now using the phone as my camera when traveling and this could be a deal breaker.
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Sounds like just using the Google Camera app (or some other 3rd party camera app) would take care of most of the camera-related complaints.
I've now read Gizmodo's extensive review of the Moto X Pure's camera (The Moto X's Camera Is Truly Stunning, But Still Afraid of the Dark). I don't think that the camera's deficient performance in low light situations is entirely due to software issues; it is probably due in large measure to the lack of an optical stabilizer. The white noise is likely a byproduct of the digital correction of blurry images. That's a deal breaker for me, as I take a lot of pictures in less than optimal light conditions.

Today, I received an email promotion from Verizon for "an exclusive opportunity to upgrade early with our Device Payment option." They are basically offering to put me on the Edge plan on condition that I trade in my present phone. I later found out that it will be $5 a month more than the new Verizon One plan ($20/month for each smartphone line). I need to call back and discuss this with the sales representative. For two phones, over the course of two years, it adds up to $240.

Assuming that the cost of the monthly service could be satisfactorily resolved, I was all ready to set the wheels in motion to upgrade to the LG G4, which meets all of my requirements, except for the bloatware.

As I was doing my due diligence on the G4, I learned that the G4 Pro is about to be announced next month.

Decisions, decisions...
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Nexus 6 is now on sale for $350/$400 on Amazon...

Amazon Amazon
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My Galaxy S4 was becoming really laggy--and hot when put under any kind of processor stress (and sometimes just randomly). The screen is also cracked, and I'll eventually get around to replacing that. I bit the bullet and did a factory reset the other night.

The one nice thing is that it didn't get rid of root on the phone, although I did have to reconfigure everything in Xposed. The other perk is that the phone is very fast again; the only slightly laggy app is Swype.

Now I'm pretty confident that this phone will be perfectly serviceable until reviews of the new LG Nexus 5 come out.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Unloc.../dp/B00R1984DI
Thanks.

First, this is a GSM model that does not have CDMA capabilities and thus is incompatible with Verizon; I'm not about to switch carriers. Verizon is the only cellular carrier with reliable service in the hilly area where I reside.

Secondly, I've checked out the Verizon version of this phone. It is cumbersome - way larger and heavier in comparison the 5.7" models that I'm considering - and an awkward fit for my pockets.

My Galaxy S4 was becoming really laggy--and hot when put under any kind of processor stress (and sometimes just randomly). The screen is also cracked, and I'll eventually get around to replacing that. I bit the bullet and did a factory reset the other night.
I have tried the factory reset. It helped for about two or three weeks and then it got worse than before.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Unloc.../dp/B00R1984DI
Also, a Nexus 5X is supposed to be released at the end of this month, starting at $400. So far they're saying 16GB and 32GB, although I'd love to see base at 32GB and an upscale version at 64GB, and do away with 16GB altogether. Or they could be like Apple and do 16GB and 64GB, skipping the 32GB.
http://bgr.com/2015/09/03/nexus-5-20...-release-date/

The most recent leaks about the 2015 Nexus 5 indicate the device will feature a 5.2-inch Full HD display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor and Andreno 418 GPU, 3GB of RAM, 16GB or 32GB of storage, a 12.3-megapixel rear-facing camera, 5-megapixel front-facing camera, a USB Type-C connector (either USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 connectivity), 2,700 mAh battery and Android 6.0.
Might be a good option if I feel like taking advantage of my Google Fi invite.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:47 am

I'm currently waiting to see what the new Nexus 5 price point ends up being... I'm not sure I'd drop $399 for it, but $349 might be right at the edge of what I'd spend. I'm also waiting to see if a US version of the Zuk Z1 has ATT friendly LTE bands, though based on the international model listed on Expansys, it's not looking promising.

I REALLY wish more Snapdragon 615 phones would start hitting in the mainstream, especially in the 5.2"-5.5" range with 2gb RAM and 1080p screen. I really don't need more processor speed than that and I appreciate the multi-threading capabilities along with the battery-friendly nature. A 5.2" Moto X Play would be my IDEAL phone, but just being able to get an ATT friendly version of Moto X Play in its current form in the US would have me yelling "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!", at least at the $300 price point.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

Amazon Amazon
This is a great deal on a great phone.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by TWA884
Thanks.

First, this is a GSM model that does not have CDMA capabilities and thus is incompatible with Verizon; I'm not about to switch carriers. Verizon is the only cellular carrier with reliable service in the hilly area where I reside.

Secondly, I've checked out the Verizon version of this phone. It is cumbersome - way larger and heavier in comparison the 5.7" models that I'm considering - and an awkward fit for my pockets.
Just to nitpick: this device includes a CDMA radio and is technically able to work just fine on Verizon's network, but Verizon will not officially activate a Nexus 6 that isn't purchased directly from them. Even so, it will still work without issue.

As for the size, there is a brief adjustment period, but now I'm ruined and an never go to a smaller device.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Sep 4, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.