Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2015: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We return now after the messages from our sponsors.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-i-get-13.html
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If the Asus Zenfone 2 is actually going to be priced $199 off-contract (assuming with 2GB RAM/16GB ROM), then I think it could be an amazing value.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If the Asus Zenfone 2 is actually going to be priced $199 off-contract (assuming with 2GB RAM/16GB ROM), then I think it could be an amazing value.
Intriguing, as is the Zoom.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:14 am

New phone

Originally Posted by nkedel
Intriguing, as is the Zoom.
Replying to your post in the 2014 thread.

I ended up getting an Xperia Z2.
Great phone IMO, loving it.
Excellent battery life (with and without STAMINA mode), great display (Frankly, I like it better than the one on the Nexus 5), it looks amazing and the camera is ten times better than the Nexus 5. Got it for $400.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are now rumors of a 5" version also being released around the same time priced even less.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:38 am

Especially with the dual SIM, and the all LTE/GSM bands. T-Mobile global roaming will get you free data/text, pop in a local sim for cheaper local calls in the country you are in. That's amazing for 199 for a phone that actually worth using everyday when you aren't traveling.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA EC, EK Skywards, UA MP, A3 M+B
considering the experience my dad had with his zenfone 4 [utterly, terrible, horrible, no good, very bad battery life], i might be a bit wary. although i could also say the same about the droid incredible i'm using now...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After a brief stint with the Amazon Fire Phone (don't buy), I bought Miss Swede at Moto E for $120. It also includes two extra shells for extra personalization. It's a nice little phone, and definitely sufficient for my tween's needs (only talk/text while outside the house, wifi access inside the house).

If you need a small travel phone, this one certainly fits the bill--although you probably want to get the global GSM version.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:19 am

Latest HTC desire is the best or HTC One. Great hardware and quadcore chipset makes it a perfect business machine. And yes, they even had a dual sim card hand set. Great for business travelers.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I would have bit on the previous ZenPhone 5 had it been available with US-friendly LTE Bands... it was/is widely available off-contract for $150-$200. I was still considering it even without LTE (mainly against the 2014 Moto G) but my company ended up getting me a 2014 Moto X. Had that not happened, I probably would have ended up jumping on the PadFone X w/ ATT LTE and 9" Tablet Dock that keeps popping up on eBay for $199.

At the low end I've been a big proponent of the Moto G since the 2013 model was released (I currently have a '13 Moto G as my backup device), but there seem to be so many great deals on 2013 flagship phones right now that I can't see myself making due without LTE and a higher-res screen. The LG G2 is commonly available ~$200, as is the HTC One M7 and the '13 Moto X has been as low as $150 for the 32gb Unlocked version. The PadFone X I mentioned above is a bit niche, but at $200 is tough to ignore too.

At the mid-range, the '14 Moto X may not grab people's attention at $500 unlocked, but at the $360 price it will be discounted to during the Valentine's Day sale it kinda fills the role of "New Nexus 5" pretty well, especially when you sit it next to the actual Nexus 6... all the people who keep saying "I'd buy a Nexus 6 if it were smaller and cheaper" should have less to complain about.

At the high end? Honestly I don't see the point of a high-end anymore... unless you just want the newest/fastest/biggest at which point get a Nexus 6 if you like Android or a Note 4 if you like Styli. Otherwise, the phones you can get for $200 off-contract are just too compelling to consider spending $200-$300 ON contract or $500-$700 OFF.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:33 am

I was certain that I was going to switch back to the iPhone 6 Plus last year from my Galaxy Note 2. But after seeing the 6 Plus, I really didn't feel like it would be much of an upgrade.

I am waiting for the Galaxy 6. Samsung pay is supposed to work with most of the current magnetic credit card readers in the US. I don't even know how that would work... And it supposes to come without bloatware or even toughwiz. That would be awesome.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Need
Samsung pay is supposed to work with most of the current magnetic credit card readers in the US. I don't even know how that would work... And it supposes to come without bloatware or even toughwiz. That would be awesome.
As unlikely as any of that is, I'd say contactless payment working with mag-stripe readers is somehow MORE likely than a Samsung phone with no bloat or touchwiz...
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:04 am

Love my OnePlus One, thanks to an invite from a generous FTer. Battery life is good, easily gets me through 24-30 hrs of regular use.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Originally Posted by Need
I was certain that I was going to switch back to the iPhone 6 Plus last year from my Galaxy Note 2. But after seeing the 6 Plus, I really didn't feel like it would be much of an upgrade.

I am waiting for the Galaxy 6. Samsung pay is supposed to work with most of the current magnetic credit card readers in the US. I don't even know how that would work... And it supposes to come without bloatware or even toughwiz. That would be awesome.

What is the time frame of the Galaxy 6?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by DLB404
What is the time frame of the Galaxy 6?
March 2 - 5 during Mobile World Congress.

And LOL @ IsleOfMan about Samsung having no bloatware/touch wiz.

I am still hoping. If Galaxy S6 is not the phone I want, I will look forward to LG G4. If I have to pick a phone last year, I would have picked the G3. I really dig the G3 phone size vs screen size ratio.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.