Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2016 "Which Smartphone Should I Get?"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I wonder how annoying and intrusive the ads will be. I'm thinking about nabbing one of these for my daughter.
That's a very good question. On our Kindles, they are hidden behind a cover when not in use, so I only see ads when open the cover to read. Unless you buy a flip cover case for the phone, I would think it would be much more present. I also wonder how much battery life is affected by this.

I also wish you could adjust the "appropriateness" of the ads. Some of the books advertised on the lock screen of my kid's Kindle are not child-friendly.

When do you think the Play version might come out?
IIRC, they did say Summer 2016 (so, in theory, it could be as late as September), but I haven't seen any confirmed release dates yet.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:42 pm

Due for an upgrade this year

I currently have the iPhone 6. Should I get the 7 that comes out this year or wait for the next version in 2017 after the 7 assuming they call it the 7s?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Going on Apple's known release pattern, the 7 should be a major upgrade over the 6S, so the 7 would be the big one to get, though waiting for the 7S and then getting the 7 gets a major upgrade at a cheaper price, if you can wait.

That being said, many tech writers believe Apple will be pushing from a 2-year release schedule to a 3-year release schedule, and the 7 won't be as major an upgrade (though reports of them removing the 3.5 mm headphone jack)
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Is the Moto G4 Plus worth the extra $50-70? Looks like the difference is pretty much just the RAM, the fingerprint sensor, and better camera (and 64gb rather than 32gb on the larger model... also not clear to me whether the 16gb Plus has more RAM or not.)

Tempted to get one or the other for a new travel phone... my Moto G LTE (aka 1.5 gen) is kind of useless at this point, too little RAM.

The G4 Plus might even be worth it to replace my Nexus 6 if it supports wifi calling with T-mobile... although the screen is a little small; also tempted by the upcoming Zenphone 3 Ultra ... the hardware looks incredible. Pity the ASUS software is such utter cr*p and the price is kind of too high.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:58 am

Is the G4 series including any dual sim models?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
That's a very good question. On our Kindles, they are hidden behind a cover when not in use, so I only see ads when open the cover to read. Unless you buy a flip cover case for the phone, I would think it would be much more present. I also wonder how much battery life is affected by this.

I also wish you could adjust the "appropriateness" of the ads. Some of the books advertised on the lock screen of my kid's Kindle are not child-friendly.

IIRC, they did say Summer 2016 (so, in theory, it could be as late as September), but I haven't seen any confirmed release dates yet.
Based on this unboxing video, I just pre-ordered a Blu R1 HD, the 16 GB (also with 2 GB RAM) ad-subsidized model for $60 from Amazon.

Interestingly, in the unboxing he was able to get rid of the ads by simply using a third-party lock-screen. I wonder if that will be the case on the Moto G as well?

At any rate, for my 9 year old I'd rather have $60 on the line if she loses it rather than $125-$155.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
In the interest of providing a data point, I finally activated my daughter's new Blu R1 HD today on AT&T, and it's an impressive device for $60. So far it runs buttery smooth. The wifi is not great and the speaker is tinny, but everything else seems fine so far. The reviews of the base model with 1GB RAM seemed a bit laggy, but with the 2GB RAM device I haven't seen any of that and it's only $10 more (and incidentally gets you 16GB of storage rather than the base 8GB which is virtually useless).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
This is a question I've been tossing around in my head.

I'm currently on a BlackBerry Z10, and I'm pretty happy with it, but whatsapp is dropping support, so I can't really use it past December 31. I only really use the browser for Facebook (and don't plan on getting the app) and FT. The only apps I really use are whatsapp, BBM, snapchat, and Instagram. I'm not huge on games.

So do I really need a flagship? I'm eyeing the OnePlus 3 at C$519, but I could probably get a medium-range phone cheaper. I just want something that can last ~3 years and work both in Europe and Canada. My aunt offered to sell me her LG G3 for $100 used, but I feel like I'm better off buying new / refurbished so I have a warranty?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Based on this unboxing video, I just pre-ordered a Blu R1 HD, the 16 GB (also with 2 GB RAM) ad-subsidized model for $60 from Amazon.

Interestingly, in the unboxing he was able to get rid of the ads by simply using a third-party lock-screen. I wonder if that will be the case on the Moto G as well?

At any rate, for my 9 year old I'd rather have $60 on the line if she loses it rather than $125-$155.
The Blu R1 HD has been rooted, unlocked, and debloated. Have fun.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07...pport-debloat/
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:34 pm

Motorola has been cagey about the long-term availability of firmware updates ever since Lenovo's entry. I'd look again at Google's Nexus models and their Asian versions, although for basic calling/messaging and media play the Moto G4 Play and the cheaper Lenovo A-Series and Vibe models with 16GB storage will be fine.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by pewpew

I'm currently on a BlackBerry Z10, and I'm pretty happy with it, but whatsapp is dropping support, so I can't really use it past December 31. I only really use the browser for Facebook (and don't plan on getting the app) and FT. The only apps I really use are whatsapp, BBM, snapchat, and Instagram. I'm not huge on games.

So do I really need a flagship? I'm eyeing the OnePlus 3 at C$519, but I could probably get a medium-range phone cheaper. I just want something that can last ~3 years and work both in Europe and Canada. My aunt offered to sell me her LG G3 for $100 used, but I feel like I'm better off buying new / refurbished so I have a warranty?
Moto G4 Should meet all of your needs.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Moto G4 Should meet all of your needs.
Or any of the other present generation upper-entry/mid-tier phones, assuming (in any of the cases) that it has the bands needed.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

Nexus 6P or 5X some really fantastic deals to be had on these right now.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite

Even the $60 Amazon Blu R1 could do everything you need and probably surprisingly well. There's not much in the mainstream of productivity and social apps that can't be easily handled by even the most basic of current-gen devices. If my company didn't pay for it, there's no way I'd spend more than $300 of my own money on a phone, and even then it would probably be for some specific esoteric feature (like getting a refurb S6 just for Samsung Pay, for example).
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
OMNI new phone clinic : iPhone or Samsung Galaxy?

So we're looking at new phones, and I've almost decided on an iPhone 6s. My husband thinks Samsung is better because it had an sd card, and isn't as controlled as Apple products with regard to browser and flash player. Thanks!

A few questions:
Which has the better camera?
Best sound/volume for someone hard of hearing
Easiest to navigate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.