Wiki Posts
Search

Is an airplane "hackable?"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Is an airplane "hackable?"

If I was an evil-doer, say someone like a North-Korean hacker or ISIL/AQ terror guy bent on destruction of the West, I might want to gain control over an aircraft's control system. Is this something that can be done through hacking? Are such systems at all connected to the internet?

Last edited by 747FC; Dec 22, 2014 at 12:38 pm Reason: spellun mistake
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Definitely.

(OP reported to appropriate authorities because of what he's planning)
Old Dec 21, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Definitely.

(OP reported to appropriate authorities because of what he's planning)
LOL. When you say "Definitely," is this based upon knowledge of the systems, a guess, or are you just jesting? More information would make your comment more appreciable.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Technology Forum
Thanks....
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any computer system is hackable.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
To this day, I think the Malaysian Airlines flight, that went missing, was stolen. Hacked? Perhaps not, but I think stolen is possible. Now feel free to tell me to stick my tinfoil hat where the sun don't shine .
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Any computer system is hackable.
If you can get to it. Aircraft are not "online".
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Indeed, basic security. I would also expect to find the IFE system is totally divorced from the avionics package, or the interface is so basic that it's not hackable, so no, you can't plug your iPad into the IFE system and upload a virus. Real life is not a Roland Emmerich movie
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Correct. The most basic (and perhaps most effective) security there is.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
Indeed, basic security. I would also expect to find the IFE system is totally divorced from the avionics package, or the interface is so basic that it's not hackable, so no, you can't plug your iPad into the IFE system and upload a virus. Real life is not a Roland Emmerich movie
Also correct. IFE isn't a part of, say, the FMS or EICAS. The closest they get is that they (occasionally) share a power supply (GenX, APU, GPU, etc). However I be willing to bet the IFE does NOT work on battery or ADG power (i.e. emergency sources).
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
True, but it doesn't have to be online for it to happen. Someone (like maintenance) could plug in a rogue USB thumb drive or something that is otherwise infected - see the famous Stuxnet virus, which infiltrated an airgapped (not network connected) Iranian nuclear facility.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, Omni, Marriott
Most of the avionics packages in those airplanes are somewhat old and cannot be directly attached to a thumb drive. Even in the newer glass-panel aircraft, the entire system has to be physically removed. The primary driver for this is security and stability - you really don't want to have something that hasn't been tested and re-tested guiding an airplane on a long (or even short) flight in questionable weather.

Experience: Software Engineer, LSRM, Experimental Aircraft Builder (helped with my own avionics packages)
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Allow me to play devil's advocate. Aircraft are in communication with the airlines' maintenance facilities, right? Is it two way communication or is the aircraft only capable of sending information, not receiving it?

I too thought aircraft weren't online in the usual sense, but then thought of this...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by theskunk
Most of the avionics packages in those airplanes are somewhat old and cannot be directly attached to a thumb drive. Even in the newer glass-panel aircraft, the entire system has to be physically removed. The primary driver for this is security and stability - you really don't want to have something that hasn't been tested and re-tested guiding an airplane on a long (or even short) flight in questionable weather.

Experience: Software Engineer, LSRM, Experimental Aircraft Builder (helped with my own avionics packages)
is youR "theskunk" moniker related to Skunk Works? ^

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Dec 22, 2014 at 1:51 pm Reason: TO MAKE SENSE
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
It's next to impossible, arguably impossible (but I guess nothing really is). There's someone on the AC FT board who works directly in this line of work. PM Jaysona if you have questions, he might answer as long as you guys don't pile all your questions on him!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.