Reload this Page >

Can I use Roku Internationally?

Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Anyone know if Roku itself can be used internationally?

It seems that between Slingbox and Crackle, I can get the main things I want without international restrictions - just want to make sure Roku itself will work.

Additionally, anyone know how to get around the international issues for stuff like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. specifically for Roku? I can watch on my computer, but I hate connecting my computer and then not being able to use my computer or not being able to control the TV without sitting right next to the computer.

If Roku won't work, any recommendation on a better streaming stick?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
You pretty much need a VPN to get around the geo restrictions.

In hotels, I tend to hook my laptop up to the TV via HDMI, and extend the desktop onto the TV. TV = TV, laptop screen = work. When I want to lay on the bed, I use a wireless mouse to control it without getting up. I watch all of my stuff via Slingbox, or occasionally direct on the channel's website.

The only other idea I can think of is a tablet with HDMI output (or whatever the combo usb/hdmi is called these days). Hook it up and free up your laptop

Last edited by bchandler02; Dec 19, 2014 at 1:14 pm Reason: added Slingbox
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
I've had good luck with the service "unblock-us.com". It uses a replacement DNS server to make Netflix, etc. think you are in the US while you are traveling. I have used it on my Mac, iPad and Apple TV. I'm pretty sure that a Roku box will also allow you to change the DNS server address to use this service.

Update: I checked the unblock-us.com site, and it looks like Roku has recently made it much harder to get around the geo restrictions on Netflix - http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...rticles/323038 . In this case, I would recommend an Apple TV as a better streaming device (for Netflix - no Amazon Prime).

Last edited by KevinSFO; Dec 20, 2014 at 7:49 am
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by bchandler02
You pretty much need a VPN to get around the geo restrictions.

In hotels, I tend to hook my laptop up to the TV via HDMI, and extend the desktop onto the TV. TV = TV, laptop screen = work. When I want to lay on the bed, I use a wireless mouse to control it without getting up. I watch all of my stuff via Slingbox, or occasionally direct on the channel's website.

The only other idea I can think of is a tablet with HDMI output (or whatever the combo usb/hdmi is called these days). Hook it up and free up your laptop
I can do the HDMI connection, but without a particularly strong wireless mouse and keyboard, it can still be an issue. Otherwise, I'm really forced to sit right next to the computer/TV.

I ended up going for Chromecast as that should help with the majority of what I want to do without needing to pay for a VPN, and I'll still be able to watch Slingbox, Netflix, Hulu, Xfinity, and Amazon Prime.

Do you mean the geo-restrictions for Netflix, or the Roku itself?

What do you mean regarding the tablet USB/HDMI?

Originally Posted by KevinSFO
I've had good luck with the service "unblock-us.com". It uses a replacement DNS server to make Netflix, etc. think you are in the US while you are traveling. I have used it on my Mac, iPad and Apple TV. I'm pretty sure that a Roku box will also allow you to change the DNS server address to use this service.

Update: I checked the unblock-us.com site, and it looks like Roku has recently made it much harder to get around the geo restrictions on Netflix - http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...rticles/323038 . In this case, I would recommend an Apple TV as a better streaming device (for Netflix - no Amazon Prime).
Do those sites help when you're not watching through the computer?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Do those sites help when you're not watching through the computer?
Yes. The unblock-us.com service can be used by changing the DNS settings on the router (if you have access) or on the viewing device itself (computer, phone, tablet, set-top box, etc. ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.