Reload this Page >

Booking air tickets is getting trickier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking air tickets is getting trickier

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by boberonicus
Orbits admits that it shows pricier hotels to Mac users. Wouldn't airlines tend to manipulate pricing in the same sort of way?
Note that Orbitz were never actually accused of charging different prices for the same hotel. They were displaying different *hotels* by default, based on the visitor (or more specifically, their OS).

The analogy that article gives is wrong, as it's implying they charged different prices for the same thing. A better analogy is a well-dressed business man and a poorly dressed uni student walking into a car dealership - do you the salesman is going to show them both to the same cars first?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by callum9999
That's not how this works... You can't claim something happens then insist that others prove you wrong instead of you backing up your own claim. How on Earth am I meant to possibly prove a negative? Sit in front of you with 1000 computers and try and buy every item in the Amazon catalogue multiple times?
@callum9999 log into Amazon, put something in you cart, go to a different computer/phone/tablet with a different IP address and you could see a different price for the same item. It doesn't happen every time but it does happen.

I wasn't asking anyone to prove a negative. Several people said that the airlines don't adjust the pricing. I simply asked them to site how they know this doesn't happen.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
@callum9999 log into Amazon, put something in you cart, go to a different computer/phone/tablet with a different IP address and you could see a different price for the same item. It doesn't happen every time but it does happen.

I wasn't asking anyone to prove a negative. Several people said that the airlines don't adjust the pricing. I simply asked them to site how they know this doesn't happen.
Well obviously you can never know that something as complex doesn't happen, but to the best of my knowledge, not one single person has ever managed to demonstrate it. Ever.

It's rather like God (without wanting to turn this into a religion thread!). It could theoretically exist, but it's not something I'm going to believe without evidence. Same principle with this. Airlines theoretically could do so, but I'm not going to listen to assumptions and flawed logic by a load of strangers on the internet!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by UAVirgin
I wasn't asking anyone to prove a negative. .... I simply asked them to site how they know this doesn't happen.
You're going to need to try again.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:38 am

As a software developer that has worked in all kinds of industry (currently and a major online retailer) developing both back-end and front-end applications, I can tell you - it will be overly complicated and make no sense to do what you describe, period!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Well obviously you can never know that something as complex doesn't happen, but to the best of my knowledge, not one single person has ever managed to demonstrate it. Ever.

It's rather like God (without wanting to turn this into a religion thread!). It could theoretically exist, but it's not something I'm going to believe without evidence. Same principle with this. Airlines theoretically could do so, but I'm not going to listen to assumptions and flawed logic by a load of strangers on the internet!
We are not strangers on the intetnet callum9999. We are Flyertalkers.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Amazon absolutely do "dynamic" pricing. Prices on individual items change continually based on demand. This is most obvious when someone posts a "deal" to one of the various deal websites, and the additional demand that site generates causes the price to increase in fairly short order.

Whether they do per-user pricing (either based on location, browser, or browsing history) is not something I would rule out, but it's also not something I've ever seen proven that they do, other than what's caused by their rapidly changing prices.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
They aren't doing either of those things, but I'd be interested in which law they're breaking in your first example. I'm not aware of any.
I can categorically assure you that most airlines do exactly that if they can.

As for the price aspect, in many countries offering differing prices to different customers in a general market (& online selling is a general market by definition) is illegal. Try that in the EU and the airline'd be facing fines so fast they wouldn't know what had happened.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Does that mean that prices are so dynamic that different customers can be offered different prices for the exact same routing, simply based on the search history of one customer over the other?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by mrcamp
As a software developer that has worked in all kinds of industry (currently and a major online retailer) developing both back-end and front-end applications, I can tell you - it will be overly complicated and make no sense to do what you describe, period!
A display sort based on previous stored purchase or search history? Trivially complex - and I doubt somewhere like Sourceforge is running short of scripts for exactly that.

If I log into my AA account and search for one of the trips I take regularly, the cheaper options are lower in the results that are presented to me compared to doing the same search without logging in and done via a VPN & fresh browser. Same fares are there, but on the logged in account they are showing me the higher priced ones that are closer to previous flight timings & costs that I've taken in the past on the first screen.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would be surprised, let alone upset, that it happens.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:28 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by mrcamp
Finally someone with the same background. Exactly the point I want to get across. Their system is likely to be outdated and inefficient after years of modifications.

Alright, here's what we can do. Go out there and search the same flight, days, etc on regular browsing mode for a bit. Take a screenshot. At the same time go directly and search for that exact flight in incognito mode. There is no difference from many tests done.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Flying Blue, Skywards
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Does that mean that prices are so dynamic that different customers can be offered different prices for the exact same routing, simply based on the search history of one customer over the other?
I would be interested to know this as well!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Flying Blue, Skywards
I am going to experiment, with dummy destinations and dates.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by flyerhormones
I am going to experiment, with dummy destinations and dates.
Be sure to ask everyone else in the world to stop buying tickets while you do - otherwise their actions will impact your results.

Ohh.. and also make sure the airlines revenue management department is at lunch, otherwise they might make changes that also impact your results.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:32 pm

I have heard of this happening.... i have been using private browsing for this reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.