Amending an ESTA

Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Amending an ESTA

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I'm due to fly to the US from the UK in a few days. I've had an ESTA for a while, though well within the 2 year expiry. Anyway, it has always been my understanding that every time you fly, you need to change the flight details on the application.
However, when I have gone to change them this time, the only fields I can access via "update my application" relate to the address at which I am staying (which hasn't changed.)

Is this a change? If so, how do I update my flight details, short of buying a new ESTA?

Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:46 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Don't bother, it doesn't matter.

I used to always change mine, but I was told it didn't really matter, so I stopped. I never got questioned about it.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

As far as I am aware you do not need to update the ESTA ( and I have not since renewing it).

You do have to update the Advanced Passenger Information ( ie on BA and Virgin Atlantic ) which includes name, passport number and address for your stay in the US). I am not sure what this would be called on other airlines.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's move this to the Practical Travel Safety/Security forum - I think that's the right place.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by rpjepson

I'm due to fly to the US from the UK in a few days. I've had an ESTA for a while, though well within the 2 year expiry. Anyway, it has always been my understanding that every time you fly, you need to change the flight details on the application.
However, when I have gone to change them this time, the only fields I can access via "update my application" relate to the address at which I am staying (which hasn't changed.)

Is this a change? If so, how do I update my flight details, short of buying a new ESTA?

Thanks.
No, you don't need to update an ESTA for each new US flight entry. The fields you're looking at (flight, address details, etc) are optional for the ESTA. They get that information from APIS which the airline sends prior to departing when the flight closes.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by rpjepson

Thanks.
Not only do you not need to update arrival flight and US address details in ESTA, there is no need to even enter anything in those fields. US CBP gets the info they need from API data (at booking or check in for each flight to USA).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.