Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Will FAs treat a 13" convertible as an ipad that can be used for take-off an landing?

Will FAs treat a 13" convertible as an ipad that can be used for take-off an landing?

Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Will FAs treat a 13" convertible as a table that can be used for take-off an landing?

I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and am seriously thinking about the convertibles (such as laptops whose lids you can flip 360 degrees to function as ipads). One thing I really like about this option is that I can assume I could use the laptop in tablet mode during take-off and landing, rather than having to store it then.

Lenovo has recently come out with a Yoga 3 convertible, that has a 13" screen. I'm sure other companies have or will have similar products out. Does anyone have any experience with a convertible that size, and whether FAs view it as a tablet for take-off and landing purposes? Or any guesses on how they'll treat it?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Nov 19, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:48 am

which answer do you want? And does it matter?

-David
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
which answer do you want? And does it matter?

-David
LOL! The answer I want is Yes! And it does matter in that, given how much travel I do (a shock here at FT, I'm sure ), one very nice feature of a convertible is that I could use it during take-off and landing.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
LOL! The answer I want is Yes! And it does matter in that, given how much travel I do (a shock here at FT, I'm sure ), one very nice feature of a convertible is that I could use it during take-off and landing.
I'm guessing you'll get both answers, but I didn't research it to see if there is even a clear official answer for it.

The official concern is that larger objects can become dangerous projectiles in an accident or other quick/sharp motions of the a/c.

-David
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I certainly understand that concern. I'm by no means sure any airline has an official policy on this - which I guess would mean whether there is a cut-off size for tablets being kept out during take-off and landing - and would not be surprised if the decision varies from FA to FA. But I thought I'd ask.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
As with most issues like this, the FAs have a lot to do and probably use a very simple test to determine if a personal electronic device is allowed. My guess: If the FA sees a physical keyboard, the FA will assume that it is a laptop and thus not allowed; if not, the FA will assume that it is a tablet and will allow it. I doubt the size (within reason) will have anything to do with this determination.

I just purchased a smallish (10") Windows transformer (basically a tablet with a keyboard dock), and despite its small size and a combined (with keyboard) weight less than that of many tablets, during takeoff I plan to use it without the keyboard just to avoid any issues.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: QF
I think the best answer is "Do you think this will be a dangerous missile to yourself or others should the unfortunate occur?"
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
I think the best answer is "Do you think this will be a dangerous missile to yourself or others should the unfortunate occur?"
But under that standard, they would disallow hardback books and lap babies, and there is no sign of that.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by mikew99
But under that standard, they would disallow hardback books and lap babies, and there is no sign of that.
That's completely beside the point.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is any help, I've traveled with a Surface Pro 3, Yoga 2, Galaxy Tab pro 12 - and have never been asked to put it away. As long as you have it folded flat in tablet mode, most FA's probably won't be bothered to tell you that it can't be used.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How would a 13" laptop be "a dangerous missile" when an 11" laptop wouldn't? Do you really think an iPad would do less damage than a lightweight tablet like the Yoga 3?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
If it is any help, I've traveled with a Surface Pro 3, Yoga 2, Galaxy Tab pro 12 - and have never been asked to put it away. As long as you have it folded flat in tablet mode, most FA's probably won't be bothered to tell you that it can't be used.
Yes, this is quite helpful. While I very much appreciate everyone's input, this is the specific information I've been seeking (and hoping for!). Thanks!

Of course, any other experience consistent with or contrary to what ScottC offered is most welcome.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:08 pm

That's completely beside the point.
Which is what, exactly?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99
Which is what, exactly?
That you're knowingly and willingly putting other folks lives in danger. There's plenty of cases of passengers being injured from objects throw around the cabins and there isn't lot of justification for not putting your tablet/thing away for 30 min while the plane lands.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
How would a 13" laptop be "a dangerous missile" when an 11" laptop wouldn't? Do you really think an iPad would do less damage than a lightweight tablet like the Yoga 3?
I don't think passengers should be using any sort of solid device while landing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.