Search

Please recommend a good memo app

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Please recommend a good memo app

I have a Galaxy S2 and the memo app that came with it is annoying. I cannot find the files anywhere and so when I want to format the phone I have to email them to myself and then download them one by one. I would like an app with the following features:

- something that my wife and I can update. For e.g., the shopping list.
- something that I can easily copy paste into an SD card or other memory.
- If I make a note that has a deadline, would like to set an alarm or reminder.
- not very important, but something where I can log into a website and see details.

Any recommendations?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
It seems to me you want something like Evernote, OneNote, or Google Keep.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For a shopping list app, I highly recommend Our Groceries.

For everything else, what SRQ Guy said.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Evernote is the one I've been using forever. It does all you want, and more (and even more if you pay for it).
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:14 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Evernote is the one I've been using forever. It does all you want, and more (and even more if you pay for it).
This. I use Evernote for everything.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
I've tried Evernote a couple of times but I still always find myself coming back to OneNote. Its integration with the rest of the MS Office suite is a huge selling point for me.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA
I have enjoyed using OneNote for years and still do. I've tried to get into using Evernote too but haven't made much progress. Don't know why it doesn't grab me. Maybe if I could identify clearly different uses for OneNote and Evernote, I'd have a reason to use Evernote more often.

For lists, Wunderlist is great.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:58 pm

Google Keep-accessible on any device you run Google on and is automatically restored when phone is wiped.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Another OneNote user here. I've tried Evernote but it just doesn't do it for me. I love the Office integration...I send meeting invitations to OneNote for taking notes and they come across with all the meeting details, as well as flagging OneNote tasks to appear in Outlook.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I tried OneNote at first in a failed attempt to use my Surface Pro with pen for note taking. When I gave up on the Surface Pro in this regard, OneNote lost most of its appeal. I'm MUCH happier with the OCR quality with Evernote Premium ($5/month), and I don't look like a tool taking notes on a tablet in meetings... I just take notes in my Moleskine-style 8x6 notebook and snap a pic in Evernote to upload... by the time I'm back to the hotel the OCR has already completed (Premium users get priority over free users in the OCR queue) and I sort into notebooks by customer with individual notes for each meeting (I either attach relevant PowerPoints or other files before or after the meeting). The Desktop app is where I search and recall notes and also has some basic Outlook integration (mostly for taking content FROM outlook TO Evernote).
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:30 am

Putting in another vote for Evernote. You don't really realize how useful it is until you've transferred in your bookmarks, notes, etc. -- and then you wonder how you managed so long without it.

On the other hand, here's a question for all the other people who use these services: Should I assume all the data would be retrievable if the service went under? Because if I lost my Evernote records, that really wouldn't be pretty.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:36 pm

The big drawback of Evernote is that it doesn't sync properly. You have to remember to sync if you use different devices, and up until now the Windows app didn't even sync upon starting up. It doesn't handle discrepancies in notes well at all. You just have to delete one from a computer, as a phone won't really work.
It also doesn't have true offline capabilities on a phone. Sometimes you'll try to pull up a note and it says it needs a connection.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've never had any of the sync issues you're describing with the Desktop app... on Win7 the Desktop app has always synced nearly immediately for me, whether it's already open or on startup.

Are you saying it doesn't sync when the MACHINE starts up? This is possible, though the work-around would be to simply have the app launch at start-up.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I've never had any of the sync issues you're describing with the Desktop app... on Win7 the Desktop app has always synced nearly immediately for me, whether it's already open or on startup.

Are you saying it doesn't sync when the MACHINE starts up? This is possible, though the work-around would be to simply have the app launch at start-up.
It doesn't sync when you start up the app, except now they fixed it. In the past it would sync on whatever interval you had it set on (say half an hour, then it'd sync half an hour after it started up).

I don't like having apps launch on startup. Then you don't get your 10 sec boot time.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
...except now they fixed it.
Key portion of that statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.