Wiki Posts
Search

I'm new here. And I have a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Question I'm new here. And I have a couple of questions

I travel often. And I once stumbled upon a web site, which I unfortunately forgot the URL/name. You click on a city/airport on the map of that site, and it shows you all the routes into/out of that airport.

I am flying to UKFF/SIP (Simferopol) from ATL. And I wanted to use that site to see the cities, to which I can fly, which will lead me to the destination.

Any of you familiar with such a site?

Also, I have a cheap Samsung "travel" phone, which I must buy a SIM card in each destination. Because my "regular" phone has no international service. Nor is there an international service available for my regular phone.

I'm looking for a phone/plan that works worldwide. It would also be nice to have a phone which has a GPS, which works worldwide. And one where I can located restaurants, attractions, whatever.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to FlyerTalk Mannix Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Technology Forum.
Thanks......
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mannix
I travel often. And I once stumbled upon a web site, which I unfortunately forgot the URL/name. You click on a city/airport on the map of that site, and it shows you all the routes into/out of that airport.

I am flying to UKFF/SIP (Simferopol) from ATL. And I wanted to use that site to see the cities, to which I can fly, which will lead me to the destination.

Also, I have a cheap Samsung "travel" phone, which I must buy a SIM card in each destination. Because my "regular" phone has no international service. Nor is there an international service available for my regular phone.

I'm looking for a phone/plan that works worldwide. It would also be nice to have a phone which has a GPS, which works worldwide. And one where I can located restaurants, attractions, whatever.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Phone plans that work world wide are *EXPENSIVE*. Much better to get the SIM cards.

Or put Skype on your phone. $15/month, call anywhere on the planet as often as you want for free. As long as you have wifi.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Welcome to FT!

As to your first question, routes served out of a given airport... I see you've listed Delta on your profile. Is this what you are referring to: http://delta.innosked.com? I've seen these for specific airlines (with varying levels of details for destinations served by partners), but don't think I've ever seen one that covers all airlines.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Isn't it easier to just find a ticket to Russia and fly on a separate ticket from there? (Given that no international airlines services that area due to the Russian invasion.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:52 am

You could check out Telestial, they sell a range of travel SIMs and unlocked handsets, from old-school brick phones to the latest Androids. Rates are good, and you won't have to waste time standing in line, filling out forms or other registration issues like you would if you were buying a local SIM.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

This is similar to the site I was seeking:

The other site, to which I was referring, had a nicer, brighter map. And you could click on a route for more information.

Yes, I can fly to SVO, and then to SIP. But I was looking for options, in order to compare costs and total flight time.

Looks like I can fly to either Frankfurt, Istanbul, Kiev or Moscow.

Yes, Skype seems like a good idea. So, I'd need a smart phone with international internet service. I was thinking about the Moto X, or whatever it's called, since it is made in the USA.

I'd also like a phone which I can use as a wifi hotspot. Anywhere.

I work remotely. And if I had a phone where I could receive calls/pages/messages anywhere, then I wouldn't have to take time off work when I travel.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:57 am

The Wikipedia entry for most airports usually lists all the routes to/from that airport and who flies them.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I've replied to this thread twice. Where are my replies?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; Hilton Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Delta PM; United Silver; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mannix

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Was it flightconnections.com by chance?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by duhe
Wow, thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The 2014 Moto X is an EXCELLENT phone, but not made in the USA... many of the 2013 models were, especially those purchased through Moto Maker in North America, but the rest and all of the 2014 models are being made in either China or Brazil.

If you're keenly interestedin having LTE service everywhere it is available, and you're keen on the phablet size, you might want to consider the OnePlus One which has one of the most complete set of LTE radios of any phone on the market... if you can get a pre-order or an invite to actually buy one. I was leaning towards the OnePlus One when it was looking like I'd have to buy a new device out-of-pocket, but my company came through and got me a 2014 Moto X.

Getting an unlocked international phone isn't the hard part... getting an AFFORDABLE service you can use anywhere is the tricky part. If you can live with 2.5G speeds (email, maybe some Google Maps, etc) while abroad, TMobile is a solid choice (service isn't bad in Metro Atlanta either as they've started deploying 1900mHz spectrum in addition to AWS. If you need 3G/4G while abroad but don't want to swap sims, something like KnowRoaming might interest you as it will allow you to use your traditional service while in the US and their partnership of providers with a unified number while abroad in ~55 countries. This, coupled with an MVNO in the USA like Cricket or Straight Talk would probably be an excellent value and keep you on the more reliable ATT network (though, again, TMobile isn't bad in Metro Atlanta).
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duhe
No. But that's very similar. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.