Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

e-boarding pass scanner and Apple Pay problems.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

e-boarding pass scanner and Apple Pay problems.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I just came off an international trip so I was not able to test the problem described in this thread. However, early tomorrow morning I have domestic flights and so I want to use EBPs in Passbook on my iP6.

I noticed in this thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6659565 - that one person claimed it did not help to go to the airlines' app and pull up the EBP. Has anyone here had that experience?

I am resorting to what I used to do which was to take a screen shot of my EBPs until I have seen for myself what will happen tomorrow at OKC and ATL then the next day at MEM.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Has there been any reports of this happening anywhere else but LGB?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
Actually it's not different. NFC is a form of RFID. The chips in the passport are ISO/IEC 14443 standard on which NFC and EVM (the NFC chip in your credit card) are built. The three technologies are interoperable. Thus, your NFC phone or credit card can be read by the TSA document scanner.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/I...mplementations
To elaborate a little bit, NFC is specifically used to refer to standardized hardware conforming to IEC 14443 and specs from the NFC Forum. These devices communicate through very close range tap transactions. In an NFC transaction, you can tell intentionality - e.g. the range is short enough that the user must have brought the device(s) together on purpose. Passports use this form of communication, and all standard mobile payments do as well.

There are also a lot of cards based on IEC 14443 that are technically not NFC: most transit cards are based on Mifare Classic or Mifare Ultralight, proprietary technologies developed by Phillips, now spun off as NXP. This difference is pretty irrelevant for the average consumer - pretty much everyone refers to Mifare cards as "NFC" these days, and I think those card standards may even have been adopted by the NFC Forum to make it official.

In practical use, NFC is not normally referred to as RFID anymore: that term is reserved instead to generically describe a wider range of technologies that don't require close proximity. A great example of RFID is the NEXUS card, which is detected by giant readers that can find the cards anywhere in the general region of your car window. Another good example is replacements for UPC bar codes in products - imagine waving a reader at a pallet of products in a warehouse and identifying all of them.

Quite complicated!

Back to the topic on hand, the TSA readers almost certainly have a 14443-compliant NFC reader of some sort embedded in them for e-Passports and possible future ID cards. They may not even be active, but all that's necessary for Apple Pay to "wake up" is for the reader to be wired up electrically to trigger a Card Present message to the phone.

I suspect Apple will end up fixing this eventually by suppressing Apple Pay when a Passbook boarding pass is visible on screen...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait - can't you just turn off NFC on the iPhone? On every Android device I've ever owned with NFC, I can turn the whole thing off.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottC
Wait - can't you just turn off NFC on the iPhone? On every Android device I've ever owned with NFC, I can turn the whole thing off.
There certainly isn't a "switch" in 'Settings' for that specifically.

NFC on the iPhone 6 is locked to Apple Pay only, which requires a fingerprint scan to activate. Perhaps the NFC chip is in some sort of permanent standby mode.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I am just home from two days of domestic travel and had no problems with my DL EBP on my iP6 with Apple Pay. I had no problems with TSA PreCheck, DL gate and lounge check-ins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.