Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Amazon Fire Stick TV dongle

Amazon Fire Stick TV dongle

Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC
Yes - but it appears that it will support captive portal at some point using your phone as a keyboard to log in. It is afterall just an Android device.
I'm guessing you'll actually have to use the remote and an onscreen keyboard since there won't be a shared wifi connection to use the phone as a keyboard. Another alternative to a hotspot (as video would consume A LOT of data) would be a travel router if there's a wired connection in the room.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'm guessing you'll actually have to use the remote and an onscreen keyboard since there won't be a shared wifi connection to use the phone as a keyboard. Another alternative to a hotspot (as video would consume A LOT of data) would be a travel router if there's a wired connection in the room.
It supports a variety of Bluetooth protocols - so either a small Bluetooth keyboard, or the app will communicate using Bluetooth, freeing up the WiFi.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My vote is for Bluetooth, as well.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
"qualifying product" ???

Maybe I can't follow the thread right. I looked at the terms and conditions for the $19 buy. There is this phrase: "If you do not purchase a qualifying product while the promotion is in effect, the offer will not apply. Offer does not apply to digital content."

I could not find anyplace that told me what the "qualifying product" was. Does it mean the $19 is only good until 10/29 or does it mean that I have to purchase something specific in addition to the Stick?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The Fire Stick is the qualifying product. Add it to your card and it will drop to $19 at checkout.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
The Fire Stick is the qualifying product. Add it to your card and it will drop to $19 at checkout.
Thanks. I thought I was missing something. It's worth dropping that money for it in anticipation of it's future travel use!!!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:38 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:13 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ordered one earlier today. Don't really need another one, but for $20 bucks, why not.

a gizmodo review vs the roku stick and chromecast

http://gizmodo.com/fire-tv-stick-vs-...-do-1651295833
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dugernaut
a gizmodo review vs the roku stick and chromecast

http://gizmodo.com/fire-tv-stick-vs-...-do-1651295833
Another comparison http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2014...tick-like.html
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:03 am

I've not seen any of the comparissons mention it, so I'll ask... has anyone said for sure if it can download apps from the FireTV section of the Amazon App Store? I'm still assuming so since it shows up in your Compatible Devices list in the App Store but, if not, it will likely become purely a travel stick for me once captive portal login becomes available.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:45 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I own 2 TVs, but now also have 2 Chromecasts, 1 Roku3 and 1 Fire Stick on order. I think the Roku exponentially better than the Chromecasts. If the Fire Stick is as good (or better) than the Roku, then my Chromecasts will almost certainly be given away.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
Received my FireTV stick today and setting it up now. Nice, simple packaging all the way down to the included Amazon Basics batteries for the remote. Initial download of updates started immediately after connecting to Wi-Fi. It has been about 10 minutes and it shows about 30 % progress.

Two moderate annoyances right off the bat: the USB port placement on both the stick and the included AC adapter is far from optimal, in both cases potentially blocking access to adjacent power or HDMI ports, respectively.

There is a short HDMI extension cable in the box that could help with the latter.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:57 pm

Can you confirm it has access to the Fire TV section of the Amazon App Store?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Camarones
Received my FireTV stick today and setting it up now.
Wow, there must have been a real run on these. I ordered mine on 10/27 and I show an expected delivery date of 12/23.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I ordered one on 10/28 about 9am Pacific time. My delivery date was and remains January 5. Have a friend with a January 8 date, who ordered a couple of hours later.

Me thinks Amazon was overwhelmed by the demand. At that price a lot of people bought one just for the heck of it, on the assumption that even if it was a dud, it was a disposable purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.