Travel network needs - advice!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:04 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

Ok experts....

We are travelling next month.... hate to say I have not been out of the country for several years.... and new technology. Trying to figure out the cheapest/easiest ways to stay in communication while we are travelling.

We will be in Hong Kong for five days and Sydney, Australia for nine days.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on AT&T and my partner has an iPhone 5 on Sprint.

What would you recommend as the easiest/cheapest way to have data/voice while in Hong Kong and Sydney?

If there is somewhere else I should look... do let me know.

Thanks, as always.

Last edited by wharvey; Oct 24, 2014 at 10:11 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For starters, I'd check the sticky thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...m-threads.html

Cheapest will be to buy a local SIM. Easiest will be to activate each of your carriers' international roaming and buy a data plan through them - usually $25/100 MB for data and somewhat discounted rates for voice/text.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by wharvey
We are travelling next month....

We will be in Hong Kong for five days
You may want to check out this beta testing thread for Hong Kong:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...hong-kong.html
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Will u be staying at hotels that have wifi?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Yes, the two hotels will have wifi... just wanted a cheap option when we are out and about.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Must you have data? Unless you're using online maps and/or really need to collect mail 24/7, I'd be tempted to jump onto wifi when I had a chance.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:02 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
This is where I went in HKG - http://patnotebook.com/buying-mobile...-kong-airport/ it was inexpensive enough and worked in my unlocked phone. As long as the phones you have are unlocked. If they are, than you should be able to just swap out the SIM card, which they will be able to do and they can also set it up and make sure the data is good to go. As far as Syndey is concerned, I have not been yet but I am fairly certain it's the same deal. I saw recently in HKG that the Hyatt was renting out cell phones for travelers, don't know if you are staying there.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Do you need to be in contact with each other when out and about (i.e. will you be separating), or is it just to stay in contact with those at home? If you need to be in contact with each other while apart in the city, I'd say a local sim is the way to go. If you just need to stay in contact back home, I'd say Google Hangouts (now with voice dialing) or Skype while on WiFi would do the trick just fine.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM

Find a friend with T-Mobile, have them buy an extra sim and activate it on their account. It will be about $10 per month and that will give you unlimited free data and texting while roaming most anywhere in the world.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Find a friend with T-Mobile, have them buy an extra sim and activate it on their account. It will be about $10 per month and that will give you unlimited free data and texting while roaming most anywhere in the world.
With tmobile roaming:
the texting works, the phone calls do as well. The data is really spotty. It isn't consistent and they limit you to EDGE speeds (which, if you haven't used that recently, make almost anything online impossible, other than checking email).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.