Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon iPhone 6/6+ in HKG/USA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Verizon iPhone 6/6+ in HKG/USA?

I was looking at both this thread and this chart and it was mentioned that as long as the model of the phone on the left matches the carrier on the right of the chart, it should be fine. What would happen if the carrier and model on the chart don't match? Anyone have any specifics? Thanks
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by maortega15
I was looking at both this thread and this chart and it was mentioned that as long as the model of the phone on the left matches the carrier on the right of the chart, it should be fine. What would happen if the carrier and model on the chart don't match? Anyone have any specifics? Thanks
That chart from Apple is very misleading. The carriers listed on the right are the official carriers that supported that model. For example, if you buy A1549, it doesn't mean that it will ONLY work in US, Canada and Puerto Rico. It just mean that it is the model being sold by those carriers listed on the right. The phone (if unlocked) will actually work in just about every country listed on the entire page.

Hong Kong carriers uses mostly LTE band 3 and 7 with China Mobile also uses 40 I think. You can look at this page to see the LTE bands by country and carrier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Makes sense but shouldn't Apple just pack all the features of the two phones into one? Wouldn't that make sense?!

And I noticed that the second model has the TD LTE bands. How much difference in speed would be noticed with the TD and non TD?

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's more a case of there not being baseband chips available that support all the different bands, I think.

TD LTE is a homegrown Chinese standard that I think is only used in China. Speed differences are more due to what the individual network supports and current usage on that network.

The iPhone will work on 3G anywhere in the world. LTE is hit or miss, depending on which specific frequencies the carrier has deployed where you are. While my iPhone 5s on Verizon should support most LTE bands in use in Ireland, for example, I only had 3G when in Dublin a few weeks ago.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It's more a case of there not being baseband chips available that support all the different bands, I think.

TD LTE is a homegrown Chinese standard that I think is only used in China. Speed differences are more due to what the individual network supports and current usage on that network.

The iPhone will work on 3G anywhere in the world. LTE is hit or miss, depending on which specific frequencies the carrier has deployed where you are. While my iPhone 5s on Verizon should support most LTE bands in use in Ireland, for example, I only had 3G when in Dublin a few weeks ago.
When you were in Ireland, did you pop in a local sim card or you we're roaming? Would TD be widespread or that's just in China? I don't need to worry of speed difference with TD and non TD?

Thanks mate.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
Would TD be widespread or that's just in China? I don't need to worry of speed difference with TD and non TD?
TD LTE is not superior to FD. It is just a different scheme (Time Division vs Frequency Division). If your phone doesn't not support the TD band offered by the carrier, it will just drop back to 4G or 3G or which ever speed offered by that carrier in that region. You can look the link I posted earlier to see which country and which carrier offers TD or FD bands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.