Texting while in flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Texting while in flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:54 pm

This could explain it: http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-i...uncarrier.html

Essentially tmobile has a partnership with gogo where you can text from your phone using your cell phone number and not some third party app such as whatsapp.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:26 am

If the plane was at cruise altitude it wouldn't be possible to get a regular cell signal. As others have noted T-Mobile now has a partnership with Gogo. Probably just using iMessage or some other third party app that looks like texting.

You should be able to receive a cell signal until you reach around 4,000 feet AGL (above ground level). Nothing really scientific to back this up other than what I find when I go flying in my Cessna.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:44 am

Guys, thanks to all!
My bad it's really possible to turn on wi-fi
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I was connected to gogoinflight myself and my time did not adjust as we passed through the time zones. Notwithstanding that, I accept the other comments that he could have been using a wifi based message package. Thanks.
If you're using the inflight Internet, your "location" is static, it doesn't change during the flight.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
This could explain it: http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-i...uncarrier.html

Essentially tmobile has a partnership with gogo where you can text from your phone using your cell phone number and not some third party app such as whatsapp.
It is deeper than that. Tmobile enables cellular service over wifi, whereas other carriers don't. For example, you can use wifi to make a call on some Tmobile devices. You cannot do that on any other carrier.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
It is deeper than that. Tmobile enables cellular service over wifi, whereas other carriers don't. For example, you can use wifi to make a call on some Tmobile devices. You cannot do that on any other carrier.
Right. I know about the UMA technology. However, it was blocked on gogo prior to this deal. Trust me, I tried it with my UMA or as they call it now wifi calling phones. I've been using the tmobile wifi calling feature overseas for at least 7-8 years. It worked best on the samsung flip phone that did the handoff well. The new ones didn't do handoff but I read the iphone 6 handoff works well so I can't wait to try that. Apologies for the tangent. Of course this is kinda moot since you can couple the tmobile international free data with vonage to make US landline calls free of charge.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You can't do it on other carrier's devices without specific apps such as Skype or Google Voice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.