Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Motorola Nexus 6

Motorola Nexus 6

Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
From TMoNews...

The device is going to support “Wi-Fi Un-leashed” from early 2015. After an OTA software update, it’ll become the first Nexus device to support Wi-Fi calling thanks to capabilities baked in to Android 5.0.

Please please please please put this feature into the Nexus 5 update.

It too darn big. Please refresh the Nexus 5.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

More specs from Motorola.

And claims that it will retail starting at $649.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
From TMoNews...

The device is going to support “Wi-Fi Un-leashed” from early 2015. After an OTA software update, it’ll become the first Nexus device to support Wi-Fi calling thanks to capabilities baked in to Android 5.0.

Please please please please put this feature into the Nexus 5 update.

It too darn big. Please refresh the Nexus 5.
It looks like they'll continue to sell Nexus 5 but without a refresh. I'm kind of surprised at that. I want a massive phone, but not everybody does. Perhaps they figure those who want a smaller phone will go with a Moto X.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
That price... what happened to my nice affordable Nexus devices?!

I'll stick with my OnePlus One...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roastpuff
That price... what happened to my nice affordable Nexus devices?!
They stopped making compromises to get the price down.

I'll stick with my OnePlus One...
I had an invite and placed an order, but cancelled it when I started reading about all the problems with them. it's a great device, but like the previous Nexus phones has some big compromises.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:24 pm

I just went to Best Buy yesterday to look at the iPhone 6 Plus. I am debating whether to switch back to iPhone or not. Since I was there I also looked all the new Android devices including the Note 4, S5, and the LG G3. I have to say the LG G3 video playback blows all the other phones (iPhone and Android) out of the water. The other phone's videos look great, but the LG one looks 3D coming out of the screen.

The Nexus 6 looks nice, but I think if I am to stay with Android I would go with the LG...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Dirt
Don't forget the Nexus 9!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:36 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'm disappointed there's no new Nexus 7. I'm thinking the Nexus 9 will be too big for my liking. The 7 is perfect for me.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:10 pm

$650 price range makes the 6 less attractive than other phablets on the market (i.e. Note 4).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lazard
$650 price range makes the 6 less attractive than other phablets on the market (i.e. Note 4).
As noted elsewhere...

Note 4 32GB - $750
iPhone 6+ 64GB - $850
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm hoping that they'll do this for the N4 as well. Google said that the N5 and N4 will get 5.0 at some point.

The latest crop of Android phones are looking pretty good, Apple really needs to step up its game. The Sony Z3c has caught my eye though, just wish that Tmobile would release it.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I think the $649 and list of carriers makes this a pretty standard $200 on-contract offering. Since the new Moto X is near-stock Android already, the Nexus 6 is more like a Moto X Plus with a slight edge on receiving updates at the cost of not having Moto Maker. I too don't really want a 6" phone, so the Moto X is still where my money will probably go... though I do like the Silver Aluminum on the black version of the N6 better than the gunmetal-ish aluminum used on the black-front Moto X. The silver Nexus logo on the back is a bit much, though.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Motorola Nexus 6

I don't see anything that makes me want to dump my nexus 5, especially since i think it is the perfect size already. Looks like I'll be sticking with my policy of skipping Nexus generations.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Motorola Nexus 6

Too big and too expensive. Google seems to be changing how it does business regarding Nexus phones. Most people don't pay $650 straight up for a phone, they go the carrier subsidy route for phones in that price range.

A lot more onboard storage than before which goes against previous Nexus and the push to cloud storage. Nexus 9 has removable storage, so Google is really changing what a Nexus device means.

As owner of a few Nexus 4 and 7's, pretty disappointing day as far as prospect to replacing my devices go. I hope Apple has more interesting news tomorrow (I also own iPad and iPad Minis).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.