Windows Tablets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:44 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Windows Tablets

Quicky ..... seeking wisdom!

I am looking for a tablet that runs Windows that will basically run traditional Windows programmes ie those that will run under standard desk-top Windows. Are there versions of Windows I must avoid or will they all be OK?

Also if price isn't too much of an issue which tablets should I look at. i'd like to add a blue-tooth keyboard as and when and would like decent main storage, processor, reasonable sound to connect to my Sony bluetooth travel speaker and possible expansion via usb but not totally necessary as I have blue tooth drives.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
You, good sir, are looking for the Surface Pro 3. It fits all of your requirements and runs full Windows 8.1. The detachable keyboard cover is better than any Bluetooth keyboard, you can specify whether you want i3/i5/i7 processor and the amount of storage, reasonable sound and a USB3 port as well as a DisplayPort port to connect to projectors.

Surface Pro 3
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:02 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I'll take a peep. I'm also trying to work out whether I'd still need keep my ipad with me. Do you think most users would?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:32 pm

Pretty much all the Windows 8.1 tablets would do what you want to do. Surface 3 Pro is near the top end. The are bunch of them at the bottom like Dell Venue 8 Pro, Asus T100, etc... It all depends on how much money you want to spend.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Lenovo also makes some very nice thinkpad tablets, and they have the Yoga convertible as well.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:27 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks all.

I'm tempted by the top end 8gb i7 with 512gb Surface. I always grumble at myself if I don't get the top end even if I think I can move down. It is better to hurt now than later!

It looks like the docking will give me my two screens. However I'd want to buy it from John Lewis and they are out of stock.

I know that forums only tell you about reliability issues, but is there much of a perception of problems yet? I'm reading of bluetooth issues etc.

Thanks for any further feedback / comments / pointers.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by uk1
Quicky ..... seeking wisdom!

I am looking for a tablet that runs Windows that will basically run traditional Windows programmes ie those that will run under standard desk-top Windows. Are there versions of Windows I must avoid or will they all be OK?

Also if price isn't too much of an issue which tablets should I look at. i'd like to add a blue-tooth keyboard as and when and would like decent main storage, processor, reasonable sound to connect to my Sony bluetooth travel speaker and possible expansion via usb but not totally necessary as I have blue tooth drives.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.
Which programs are you interested in running? Office Suite will run on your existing iPad for instance.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:06 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Which programs are you interested in running? Office Suite will run on your existing iPad for instance.
Hi Thanks.

I've just purchased the one I mentioned above from John Lewis - it came back into stock this morning. Bought the docking station as well ... the credit card shed a tear.

I prefer open office so don't need MS Office.

I'm quite heavily reliant on a legacy version of Mailwasher because of the historical investment I have in the filters. The new versions didn't allow importing old filters. I own several domains and I'm receiving but washing via server and mailwasher filters virtually all of the 10k pieces of spam received weekly. I will be switching these domains off once I sell them but this will take some time.

I'm also tempted to migrate some programs like Corel x3 etc.

Thanks for the pointers and help.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uk1
I know that forums only tell you about reliability issues, but is there much of a perception of problems yet? I'm reading of bluetooth issues etc.
I have the i5 / 256GB SP3 and docking station and they've been great. I've heard about some folks having WiFi issues but thankfully mine has been great. I also understand that the i7 doesn't get the battery life of the i5, which is to be expected. Under normal use I get around 8 hrs with mine, but when I'm in Lightroom and Photoshop a lot it really chews up the battery much faster.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks so much. I'll take a peep. I'm also trying to work out whether I'd still need keep my ipad with me. Do you think most users would?
I've had every version of the Surface (Pro and RT) and also have an iPad 3. The iPad sits in a corner collecting dust.

To be fair, prior to the SP3 I did use the iPad to read. I subscribe to magazines via the Zinio app and I'm constantly reading whitepapers, PDF's, and slide decks for my job. I found the iPad's aspect ratio to be a better reading experience in portrait orientation (16x9 tablets are just awkward while portrait) so I would frequently copy a bunch of documents to the iPad then go in a quiet room to read. However the SP3's 3:2 aspect ratio negates the only thing that I needed my iPad for.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:23 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for that.

A question you may simply be able to say yes or no to to save deep googling.

When I dump my main PC is there a simple procedure for me to set up a profile so that when it is in the dock it will revert to 2 screen but when taken out it reverts to travel pc? I guess it might mean two users?

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by uk1
When I dump my main PC is there a simple procedure for me to set up a profile so that when it is in the dock it will revert to 2 screen but when taken out it reverts to travel pc? I guess it might mean two users?

Thanks
Not sure I totally understand the question. If the dock is connected to an external display then the SP3 will automatically connect to it when docked and disconnect when undocked. Is that what you mean?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: DL PLT, WN A-List Preferred, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks for that.

A question you may simply be able to say yes or no to to save deep googling.

Thanks
I don't post on FT much, but wanted to jump in. My company replaced our laptops with Surface Pro 3s and I absolutely love mine. We have the 2 screen setup, with wireless keyboard/mouse.

I didn't have to do anything with the surface to get it to recognize two screens when docked, and then automatically revert itself to the single Surface screen when undocked and on the go.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:25 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bnamike
I don't post on FT much, but wanted to jump in. My company replaced our laptops with Surface Pro 3s and I absolutely love mine. We have the 2 screen setup, with wireless keyboard/mouse.

I didn't have to do anything with the surface to get it to recognize two screens when docked, and then automatically revert itself to the single Surface screen when undocked and on the go.
Many thanks ....
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:28 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClishe
Not sure I totally understand the question. If the dock is connected to an external display then the SP3 will automatically connect to it when docked and disconnect when undocked. Is that what you mean?
Thanks,

On my current under desk PC it needed to be set up as left and right screen, and I had presumed that once the sp3 was set up that way it wouldn't cope when on the go without resetting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.