Wiki Posts
Search

Ipad - netflix - surfeasy Vpn

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
This, this and this.

Those "business class" wifi claims are a joke. At Marriott, I've actually seen them be slower than the normal connection.

Yes, the captive portals are a pain, and even worse, I'd be willing to bet they put streaming QoS near the bottom of priority.

+1 on take it with you. I use Plex. I have a server that automatically downloads OTA shows we watch. Plex Media Server organizes and meta tags them. Then using the Plex app, I have them automatically sync to my iPad. As soon as I watch an episode, it marks it as "watched" and then downloads the next one(s) in queue. I generally keep about 8hrs worth of footage on my iPad for travel. It will also try to download them while I'm on the road, but hotel internet speeds are so low it's rarely successful. If I'm really jonesing for that next episode, I'll break out my hotspot.
Plex sounds interesting - I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Just an update - the set up worked perfectly with netflix and amazon prime in Germany.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
In my experience, a hotel with terrible wifi speed in the evening will often have great speed before 6 AM the next morning. I imagine that a lot of customers stream video at night, which uses all the available bandwidth.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:16 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Ipad - netflix - surfeasy Vpn

Nice. I use ipvanish and my hotel seems to have downstream bandwidth capped at 512k. So pretty much unusable unless I want to spend 28 euros to unlock the faster speeds...

Fdw
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
We used witopia when we were in China and Taiwan.
Works well for me too!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Crap I'm about 2 weeks late on this thread LOL. Been in Germany and Switzerland for the last 2 weeks, leaving Friday.

Have a few shows to catch up on. Gonna try at least now.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:13 pm

If your primary purpose is streaming-related, SmartDNS would work and if your primary purpose is to bypass restrictions (from China, etc.) you can try different browser extensions like Olive, Zenmate or Hola.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.