Search

Mobile wifi or other ways to get affordable int'l data

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA++
Mobile wifi or other ways to get affordable int'l data

Hi,

I will travel to Taiwan, Korea, HK and Indonesia next month.
I have AT&T old grandfathered data plan.

What is the most affordable way to get international mobile data these days? Basically, it is important to browse the net to get info on certain things during the trip, messaging either text msg, viber, whatsapp, etc.

I looked at at&t and they have $30/month for 150mb int'l data, but not sure if i can just sign up and cancel it after my trip is done... or what happens if i exceed 150mb.

Any suggestion and previous experience that can be shared?

Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've moved your post to the most appropriare forum (and the most informed replies).

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Btw have you looked at T-Mobile? Their data is free of roaming charges in many countries, calls twenty cents a minute (with Skype and Skype Wi-Fi, who needs them?)
Old Sep 27, 2014, 1:27 pm

There is some ambiguity in the original poster's post, but what I am interpreting it to say is: (a) he has a smartphone grandfathered with ATT's old unlimited international data plan; and, (b) he needs some data for his/her other devices. He seems to want to know the best way to get affordable data on a four country Asian trip.

I don't know what the users resources are abroad, but the best deal is Singtel's data roamer pass at SG$15 (US$11.77) a day for unlimited. If you don't have anyone in Singapore who will do this for you, look at the various Task Rabbit-esque services:

http://e27.co/the-attack-of-taskrabb...-in-singapore/

Factor in Priority Mail (time willing to the US) and the Task service charge and it is still a bargain.

Want things "simpler," check out this plan:

http://www.rebelfone.com/DataMifi-sim-cards.aspx
Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
http://www.att.com/att/global/afford...packages/?data

That says it's only 120MB of data for $30. Overage billed at the same rate.

Fine print on the page has this:
One-month minimum required. Discounted countries/carriers subject to change. Must be added to existing domestic data plan.
No info about annual commitment. This matches the experience I've heard from other users, who have signed up for short periods of international data use. You do have to call when you return to have it canceled.

The "know before you go" link also includes this reminder:
Determine if your wireless device will operate in the country you are visiting. Tip: To ensure the broadest coverage, a quad-band (850/900/1800/1900) device is recommended. To roam in Japan or South Korea, a 3G device that operates at 2100 MHz is required.
I think there's always a danger for people with grandfathered plans that they love that something will get screwed up whenever a change is made. I've heard that a lot with AT&T, where there were issues getting LTE enabled on your account if you were on a grandfathered plan. Make sure you're clear with them that you don't want this to impact your current data plan.

Good luck, and please come back here to share your experience after the trip.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please check out the existing threads in the sticky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.