iOS 8: upgrade or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iOS 8: upgrade or not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Pangu just released their jailbreak but only compatible with Windows and Chinese.
http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/co...ak_for_ios881/

Saurik is on the road and has not linked Cydia to the tweak yet. Hopefully everything will be sorted out by this weekend?

So, windknown has contacted me, about a half hour ago, via e-mail. He has told me one of the issues that is keeping Substrate from working on the device, which will probably require me to build a little binary patch for dyld as part of the Substrate installation sequence. This was the worst possible day for me, as I'm traveling back to Santa Barbara today (I'm currently in Texas, having come here to give a talk at The Big Android BBQ), which means this will take me a little longer than I'd like, but clearly getting Cydia and Substrate working on iOS 8 is my highest priority.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After upgrading to iOS 8.1, I've noticed a marked improvement in battery life. I'm at 78% now. With earlier versions of iOS 8, I'd be at 55-60% at this time of day.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
After upgrading to iOS 8.1, I've noticed a marked improvement in battery life. I'm at 78% now. With earlier versions of iOS 8, I'd be at 55-60% at this time of day.
I look my Iphone6 off the charger at 8:00 this morning. I haven't used it, but 5.5 hours later I'm still at 100%.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
I look my Iphone6 off the charger at 8:00 this morning. I haven't used it, but 5.5 hours later I'm still at 100%.
I may have spoken too soon. Yesterday and today, I'm down to almost dead battery by the end of the day again.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I may have spoken too soon. Yesterday and today, I'm down to almost dead battery by the end of the day again.
Maybe the hardware and not software, aka new battery?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 pm

I'm betting the iOS upgrade resets any metrics previously kept for predictive battery performance and it has to reacquire that information over time.

When I upgraded my iPad Air, it saw a surprising (and temporary) apparent improvement in battery life. The difference, though, is that it would previously drop steadily from 100%, and after the upgrade, stay at 100% for an extended period then drop more quickly.

It seems to now be returning to the previous behavior.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
[I don't know much about Apple tech]

Can I still update a 4s/16GB to iOS7 (currently on iOS 6.1.3), or do I have to jump to 8? If the former, how?

thanks
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
[I don't know much about Apple tech]

Can I still update a 4s/16GB to iOS7 (currently on iOS 6.1.3), or do I have to jump to 8? If the former, how?

thanks
You'll have to upgrade to 8, since Apple isn't signing 7 anymore.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:45 am
Original Poster

I pulled the trigger and upgraded to 8.1 this morning. Had problems with my flashlight turning on and wanted to go to genius bar given my 1 yr anniversary up on Nov 18th and my 5s was jb.

The upgrade process was painless, used the 'Restore' button, not the 'Upgrade' button, took less than 20 minutes to upgrade the iOS. Plus waiting another 20 minutes restore apps, music, etc. to the iphone from my backup. And the surprise of the day: the flashlight via notification screen came back on. So apparently a software and not hardware glitch. And of course no need to visit the apple store!

My only complaint was losing all my tweaks but understand Pangu working on jb for Mac OS. Now to see what's new in the iOS 8.1.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Pangu jailbreak for Mac released earlier today: http://en.pangu.io/
Video instructions here, note recommendations to do a clean restore and turn on airplane mode first: http://9to5mac.com/2014/11/09/pangu-...reak-os-x-mac/

OT, after running 8.1 past week, notice improved battery life on my 1 yr old 5s. No significant change on iPad Air. Both fairly stable.

Last edited by dtsm; Nov 10, 2014 at 9:00 am
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: United MP
8.1.1 update has improved my iPad 2 back to what it was with iOS 7.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
And the same for my iPhone 4S (and I will be updating goalie-mom's 4S and iPad 2 this weekend as I told her to hold off in updating to iOS 8)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sadly, in 8.1.1 I still experience the bug in both my iPhone 5s and iPad Mini 2 where I lose wifi connectivity even though the little wifi icon shows full signal. I have to toggle wifi off and back on.

It's very annoying.

I read yesterday that iOS 8 was the buggiest yet. I believe it. What's happened to QA at Apple?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:22 am

Happily, no wifi connectivity issues with my 5s or iPad Air & iOS 8.1.1.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I also noted (inconsequentially perhaps) that the name of the device is back where when I updated to iOS 8 the device identification "name" iPad was absent and the only thing that showed is the WiFi strength and now 'iPad' is back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.