Reload this Page >

Installing DVD software on a no-ODD drive laptop

Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

I want to install MS Office '07 on my new Lenovo. Unfortunately I don't have a external optical drive. I was hoping to use the connector of a SATA HD to connect a laptop DVD drive but I see that the connector for an laptop optical drive is shorter than that of a SATA HD so that won't work.

How can I install it? Anyway to make an image and install?

At my disposal, I do have 2 Acer Aspire with ODDs, various SATA external drives and drive housings and an ODD HD caddy.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I want to install MS Office '07 on my new Lenovo. Unfortunately I don't have a external optical drive. I was hoping to use the connector of a SATA HD to connect a laptop DVD drive but I see that the connector for an laptop optical drive is shorter than that of a SATA HD so that won't work.

How can I install it? Anyway to make an image and install?

At my disposal, I do have 2 Acer Aspire with ODDs, various SATA external drives and drive housings and an ODD HD caddy.
I have installed Office from an image copied to the hard drive.

The only program I have run into that won't install that way is Visual Studio.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could put the CD in another computer and mount it over the network, then just run setup.exe on the Lenovo.

You could also create an iso image file of the CD on one of the Acers, then put it on a USB stick and mount it on the Lenovo using something like Virtual CloneDrive (free).
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Is Office copy-protected? If not, just copy all the files on the DVD to a USB and install from there.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You could put the CD in another computer and mount it over the network, then just run setup.exe on the Lenovo.
^ Doing this right now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.