Search

Photobucket alternative ... must have FTP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:35 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Photobucket alternative ... must have FTP

Looking for help to identify an alternative to my PB account.

Basically I have a load of security IP cameras that continually upload images (jpg) which I go in a couple of times a day and either move to another folder or bulk delete. PB has become unreliable and it's CS has been disinterested and unresponsive. I would like to move to something else if there is anything. Searched all of the main ones but FTP seems to be a sticking point. I can either get an FTP site that is unfriendly to images or an image site that is unfriendly to FTP. I can't seem to identify a site that likes both. An ipad app is also fairly important.

I need the following functions:

1. FTP upoading.
2. The ability to create folders.
3. The ability to select individual pictures and move them to another folder ie a tick box below each picture that can be selected one by one.
4. The ability to see all pictures within a folder as images rather than file names at the same time rather than just go through page by page ie "view all" within folder.
5. The ability to hit a tick box to select all pictures within view and then delete them.

I don't need "free" - happy to pay a reasonable annual charge.

Can anyone point me to a decent hosting site please?
Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do your cameras upload directly from their server, or do they write to a computer and THEN FTP to your cloud service?

If you write to your PC first (or have the ability to do this), you could use something like Allways Sync to send the photos pretty much anywhere you want, using FTP, Dropbox, Google or even Amazon AWS.

If you upload directly off the PC, why not set up an FTP server on your desktop, and send them there? Then, either remote desktop into your computer, or have Allways Sync keep them in sync with something like Dropbox.

My Logitech cameras upload to Dropbox 24/7 as I didn't want to pay Logitech for their service. I used to use the Dropbox app to do this, and now I use Allways Sync as I find it more reliable.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:29 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Do your cameras upload directly from their server, or do they write to a computer and THEN FTP to your cloud service?

If you write to your PC first (or have the ability to do this), you could use something like Allways Sync to send the photos pretty much anywhere you want, using FTP, Dropbox, Google or even Amazon AWS.

If you upload directly off the PC, why not set up an FTP server on your desktop, and send them there? Then, either remote desktop into your computer, or have Allways Sync keep them in sync with something like Dropbox.

My Logitech cameras upload to Dropbox 24/7 as I didn't want to pay Logitech for their service. I used to use the Dropbox app to do this, and now I use Allways Sync as I find it more reliable.
Thanks Scott,

They are remote cameras and work directly from an inbuilt server via the router with all PC's switched off.

Thanks.

Last edited by uk1; Aug 18, 2014 at 2:54 am
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks Scott,

They are remote cameras and work directly from an inbuilt server via the router with all PC's switched off.

Thanks.
Have you looked at these people?

https://www.cameraftp.com/CameraFTP/...e/Default.aspx
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:41 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for your patience ... and this looked like a possibility from the start. However .....

I went to pricing and put in some basic stuff in and it comes up with a price of $4500ish to $6200ish per year depending on some paremeters. And this is for 1 month retention. My current PB issues are annoying but it's practically unlimited storage ...

Thanks again.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:28 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm resurrecting this thread again, because PB has just enhanced the product and removed the feature of being able to bulk edit jpgs ... and so I am seeking help to identify an alternative to my PB account.

Basically I have a load of security IP cameras that continually upload images (jpg) which I go in a couple of times a day and either move to another folder or bulk delete. PB has become unreliable and it's CS has been disinterested and unresponsive. The removal of bulk edit is the final straw.

I would like to move to something else if there is anything. Searched all of the main ones but FTP seems to be a sticking point and viewing jps - loads to a page seems impossible. I can either get an FTP site that is unfriendly to images or an image site that is unfriendly to FTP. I can't seem to identify a site that likes both. An ipad app is also fairly important.

I need the following functions:

1. FTP upoading.
2. The ability to create folders.
3. The ability to select individual pictures and move them to another folder ie a tick box below each picture that can be selected one by one.
4. The ability to see all pictures within a folder as images rather than file names at the same time rather than just go through page by page ie "view all" within folder. In other words like a big proof page with small images that you can click and see them larger ... just like PB.
5. The ability to hit a tick box to select all pictures within view and then delete them.

I don't need "free" - happy to pay a reasonable annual charge.

Can anyone point me to a decent hosting site please?

When I posted this before there didn't seem to be any viable alternatives.

Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
http://fylet.com/

Have you looked at amazon s3 cloud storage?

https://bitnami.com/stack/owncloud/cloud/amazon

or

https://owncloud.org/features/

or

http://blog.storagemadeeasy.com/category/copy-com/

or start reading here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/software/com..._alternatives/

Last edited by ZZYZXROAD; Apr 30, 2015 at 4:58 am
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:26 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for your trouble. I have Amazon as a part of Prime and that doesn't support FTP although it does give a gallery view. From what I can see nor does fylet. Owncloud allows ftp but stores them as a list so they cannot be viewed across and down the page like a gallery or proof sheet at more than a fraction of a stamp. I'm looking quickly at possibly hundreds of security pictures and simply wish to see them and then delete them in bulk or indovidually. Similar challenges appear to be with the last to suggestions.

Both FTP upload and gallery view are essential.

Thanks for trying to help me ... much appreciated.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
bitnami supports sftp with client software but I think its like Norton Commander view, no thumbnails.

Google Picasa has upload folder at a time functionality, right click and upload whole folder, behaves just like ftp imo.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:43 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
bitnami supports sftp with client software but I think its like Norton Commander view, no thumbnails.

Google Picasa has upload folder at a time functionality, right click and upload whole folder, behaves just like ftp imo.
Thanks, as I said, these are remote IP cameras. They each have their own web server in them and ftp upload pictures remotely when their vision is disturbed as well as live streaming - and all obviously by themselves ie unmanaged. There is no computer involved, it's all inside the cameras.

Appreciate your time.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks, as I said, these are remote IP cameras. They each have their own web server in them and ftp upload pictures remotely when their vision is disturbed as well as live streaming - and all obviously by themselves ie unmanaged. There is no computer involved, it's all inside the cameras.

Appreciate your time.
In the absence of a one-piece solution, perhaps you can set up two components. Set up the cameras to upload to a convenient ftp site, then use an automated ftp transfer scheduler to move them to the image-management site of your choice. This would be feasible provided the image-management system has a Windows client ŕ la Dropbox.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:02 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajGoes
In the absence of a one-piece solution, perhaps you can set up two components. Set up the cameras to upload to a convenient ftp site, then use an automated ftp transfer scheduler to move them to the image-management site of your choice. This would be feasible provided the image-management system has a Windows client ŕ la Dropbox.
Thanks, but I'm afraid it isn't practical.

On a breezy day the cameras can literally upload thousands of pictures each. Each property has it's own folder on PB and there is a dozen or so cameras uploading to each. So when I check in regularly there called be many hundreds. If they are all on the same page I scan down them and then simply bulk delete if I'm on the PC. Only if something looks odd do I need to have a closer look. This happens only rarely.

However when I'm traveling or at other times during the day I use the ipad app. This just means having to tap each one at a time and then deleting.

So the methgod you suggest wouldn't be as practical but I appreciate the suggestion.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:38 am

I have used fotki for many years. I know that it supports FTP and you could create all the folders you want and it supports gallery view on the web. You could try it out with the Free version (5GB) and even the free version supports FTP.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:37 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
I have used fotki for many years. I know that it supports FTP and you could create all the folders you want and it supports gallery view on the web. You could try it out with the Free version (5GB) and even the free version supports FTP.
Thanks for the reminder .... in fact when I went to look again at it reminded me that the last time I logged in was 2 years and 2 months ago.

I had another go but for some reason whilst it is usable with a normal ftp client it doesn't seem to like the cameras. I tried fotki support but they didn't bother reading the question properly first time and second time couldn't help. So even after playing it will not accept camera ftp uploads.

The other issue is that the ipad app doesn't become an upload client it is just a viewer. Quite often when looking at the live feed on the ipad I see something going on and I hit the "snap" button which I then want to instantly upload to PB. The fotki app doesn't do this and is essentially purely a viewer.

Basically it means I'd be swapping one drawback for several other new ones.

It does seem that PB is sadly in fact unique.

Thanks for taking the trouble.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:22 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

..... as a follow on .... I have made it work by putting a path in the ftp string before the folder..... so that is good.

However it doesn't allow you to view all images on a single page so no bulk edit ie delete so has exactly the same defect as PB ... but has less function.

Thanks again for your trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.