Wiki Posts
Search

Active vs. passive nc earbuds

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, lotsa hotels
Active vs. passive nc earbuds

Some years back I had a pair of Sony active nc earbuds (don't remember which anymore) that have long since died from frayed cable syndrome. Those were nice but were always falling out of my ears no matter which tips I used. The nr was OK but not great. Since then I've used both over- and on-ear active nr cans. Now I'm thinking of trying some of the newer buds.

Has anyone experienced active and passive earbuds on long flights? Bose QC20 and Etymotic ER4-PT for example. The Bose buds are battery powered active nc types, while the Etymotics claim -35 db of passive ambient suppression. The Etymotics are more like ear plugs with a sound driver; they rest deeper into the ear canal than the Bose. The Ety's are "completely sealed": I wonder how that is in the cabin?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Substantial discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...earphones.html
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, thanks, read through that one. Not too much on sealed in-ear vs. in-ear with active nr. I did find a few threads elsewhere (Google "etymotic airplane" or similar) most of which were quite old and not much information re: on a plane. I did find two tidbits: cabin pressure changes may not be much of a problem, and it does seem like the Ety's and similar provide a greater degree of sound blocking, although being able to hear around you is important to some as in asking for a drink or choosing chicken or beef (or nothing!). If I try a pair in the next three weeks (I'm slated for 15,000 miles or so) I will post about the experience.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:35 pm

use passive tight earbuds for several years Once I started, gave my Bose away since the noise was so much lower. You do neednto experiment with fit and know how to put them in.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On long trips I find in-the-ear earbuds are more fatiguing than over the ear NC cans. So for me, they don't work on longer flights and I prefer my Bose phones. I find for short flights, they're fine, but at home when I wear headphones it's usually over-the-ear kind as well, not sure why, I suppose they are more comfortable.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
For me, I am in the passive camp (my thoughts are in this thread on my Westone monitors). Custom in-ear passive headphones win on all fronts, as passive reduction is vastly superior to active reduction (18dB with Bose QuietComfort closed-can versus 25-27 with custom thermoplastic in-ear monitors). Non-custom in ear can also be superior to active reduction, but it is dependent on construction.

Combining the two may offer additional protection in a non-custom bud, but I'm not sure of how much additional protection it offers. Additionally, I would wonder about how well it controls cabin noise beyond air/engine noise -- namely people talking, PA announcements, in-flight meal trolleys, and so on.

I work in heavy manufacturing and can attest that active reduction is generally not acceptable as a permissible exposure limit control (at least that is why our industrial hygiene folks told me at a previous company). Given that I'm trying to protect my hearing, I'm comfortable with their advice.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by richard
On long trips I find in-the-ear earbuds are more fatiguing than over the ear NC cans. So for me, they don't work on longer flights and I prefer my Bose phones. I find for short flights, they're fine, but at home when I wear headphones it's usually over-the-ear kind as well, not sure why, I suppose they are more comfortable.
For long flights, especially when sleep is involved, I'm the exact opposite, except I'm using custom in-ears. I don't really like the clamping pressure of Bose cans, but I didn't like their ANC aviation [pilot] headsets either. When I tried Koss buds and just a standard ear bud, I found them to be quite uncomfortable as well.

Do you find ear plugs uncomfortable as well (e.g. you don't like in-ear pressure), or are earbuds what bother your ears?

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by astanley
For long flights, especially when sleep is involved, I'm the exact opposite, except I'm using custom in-ears. I don't really like the clamping pressure of Bose cans, but I didn't like their ANC aviation [pilot] headsets either. When I tried Koss buds and just a standard ear bud, I found them to be quite uncomfortable as well.

Do you find ear plugs uncomfortable as well (e.g. you don't like in-ear pressure), or are earbuds what bother your ears?

Cheers.
it's the earbuds that bother my ears after awhile.

The problem with headphones is they don't accommodate much head movement when you're resting your head on a headrest...it's not a perfect world
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:30 pm

I've been pretty happy with the passive, in ear canal style of headphones for a while now. They're definitely not perfect, but I do find they do a pretty reasonable job of muting the cabin environment. Regular ear buds aren't going to work for it, they need to be the type that seal into your ear canal. But I also really dislike the big over the ear headphones, they've always felt hot and uncomfortable for me.

Personally, I can't really sleep well with either style myself, but I also don't sleep well on a plane to begin with.

Unfortunately, on my last flight I discovered that the headphones I've been using have ceased functioning, so now I need to find another pair. Unfortunately, I don't think the Sony EX71's I had are made anymore, so I'll have to find something different (I'm not really looking at spending Ety prices myself).
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:57 pm

I moved from the Ety's to the Bose QC20i's about 6 months ago. I think it comes down to how comfortable you can get from a fit and general tolerance perspective on the in-ears that require a proper seal. I struggled with more then an hour with the Ety's in where I think I can go much longer (and sleep better) with the Bose. I've been positively surprised by the battery life of the Bose also.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:13 pm

custom iems are the way to go. Great audio quality, great passive sound isolation, extremely comfortable, and no fatigue.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:57 pm

for sleeping try the Howard Leight Max Lite or Lazer Light ear plugs. I live by them in hotels and on long flights. I've been much less satisfied with other brands.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

My over-ear Nokia BH-910's are not top of the line but they do a fair job of reducing low-frequency noise while still allowing me to hear louder conversation nearby and announcements. But on my flights this week they were again uncomfortable after an hour or two. I wear glasses; the earpieces get squeezed by the phones. I can't see the monitor in front of me without them, so I'm stuck there.

The Etymotic HF-3's will arrive today. They have an app called Awareness that uses the mic in the cord to listen and feed outside sound above a settable threshold level into the phones--can it keep the screaming kids out but let me hear announcements? Next week and a half I"ll rack up about 24 air-hours and 6 train-hours, so here comes a good opportunity for test and comparison.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
I use Etymotics with the triple flange ear tips.
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea.../dp/B006WT2AD8
I find them the most comfortable and best sealing.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by DrJohn999
The Etymotic HF-3's will arrive today. They have an app called Awareness that uses the mic in the cord to listen and feed outside sound above a settable threshold level into the phones--can it keep the screaming kids out but let me hear announcements?.
No - the kid will emit much higher db than the announcement.

First I thought the Awareness to be a cool app, but after using it for a while it's just annoying.

The HF-3 is an axcellent bud - if you insert it correctly, the SQ will be excellent and balanced and the noise isolation is topnotch.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Sep 4, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.