Wiki Posts
Search

Midnight Fax Machine #&*$ Disaster

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Midnight Fax Machine #&*$ Disaster

So, my goofy, extremely annoying parents decided to buy me plane tickets without checking with me after I had adamantly asked them to wait to purchase the tickets with me so they don't mess anything up & lo and behold, they completely ignore me and screw up the spelling on my ticket. (I have 2 different spellings of the same name on 2 different passports. I wanted it spelled 1 way, they spelled it the other way)

Anyways, I went to United & they couldn't change it because they said it was issued by Asiana and when I hooked up with Asiana in Los Angeles, they couldn't change it either. No big deal, right? I'll just hook up Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer with the paperwork & fax it to them, no problem, right?

Well, here I am doing it in the middle of the night since it's daytime in Singapore & I think this is going to go off SO well, won't it? I try to send off the paperwork to +65 6631 3414, their listed number and I watch my papers and they don't go through the machine. I get a printout for the record & it says "no response". It's 12:15 AM & a minute or 2 later, I get a phone call from some guy: "Why are you waking me up? What are you doing?"

Apparently, instead of +65 6631 3414, the fax went to 656-6313 in my local area code. What the hell?!

As it turned out, the gentleman (who was exceedingly patient considering the fact that I woke up his family) took the time to explain something to me about circuits and fax machines & how they send faxes to the default local area code instead of to the intended +65 recipient and how I'm supposed to enter 2 digits to "reset" the circuit so that the fax goes off internationally instead of to that poor sleepless gentleman again.

I have no idea how to do this. Does anyone know what is going on & what I'm doing wrong?

Disclaimer: this is my first time using a fax machine since the 20th Century, I believe. I thought I knew what I was doing....but the gentleman's resounding "Just don't do it again!" tells me that I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:07 am
iff

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, you need to dial 011 (not +) before the country code.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Wouldn't it be easier to just change your name?

And what's a foxmachine?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by iff
If I'm understanding your problem correctly, you need to dial 011 (not +) before the country code.
You HAVE to do this with a fax machine?

???
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
And what's a foxmachine?
Can't post a photo, imagine a foxy person sitting next to a fax machine

Originally Posted by RussianTexan
???
The number you dial with a phone and with the fax the prefix will be the same.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So, my goofy, extremely annoying parents decided to buy me plane tickets without checking with me after I had adamantly asked them to wait to purchase the tickets with me so they don't mess anything up & lo and behold, they completely ignore me and screw up the spelling on my ticket.
Your parents generously BUY you airline tickets and this is how you speak of them? Are you kidding??? How disrespectful and ungrateful.

???
Obviously. A fax transmits on a phone line. Not rocket science.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

???
Yes, to get outside the country you need to dial 011 (from N. America, other countries have different international access numbers, which is why you see international numbers starting with a + as it is not going to be the same first few numbers for everyone) then the country code, 65, then the rest of the number.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Even more fun when you want to use a calling card in front of the fax number when sending a fax to Sweden. I have to dial...

(Access Number),(Calling Card Number),011-46-(etc.)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by iff
Correct.

Hopefully the OP apologized to the person he kept waking up - and also said thank you to his parents for the airline ticket (even if some hassle involved).

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Can you use the other passport?

Fax machines are such finicky little instruments of a bygone era.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by pinniped
Can you use the other passport?

Fax machines are such finicky little instruments of a bygone era.
Can one even buy one today?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Can one even buy one today?
http://www.brother-usa.com/Fax/Ribbo.../#.U-zPUmNCpkM
http://www.brother-usa.com/Fax/BW_Fa.../#.U-zPVWNCpkM

I used the fax machine on my work's "business hub" two weeks ago and this past Monday.

I used the fax machine on my home's all-in-one laser printer a few months ago.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I still see those "all in one" machines for sale on occasion.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emma69
Yes, to get outside the country you need to dial 011 (from N. America, other countries have different international access numbers, which is why you see international numbers starting with a + as it is not going to be the same first few numbers for everyone) then the country code, 65, then the rest of the number.
Except when using a cell phone, where the + works just fine. The need to use 011 only exists with land lines - of which I no longer have any.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by milepig
Except when using a cell phone, where the + works just fine. The need to use 011 only exists with land lines - of which I no longer have any.
Just curious - does your cell operate as a fax machine too? You're correct that cell phones do not require 011 etc, but landlines (which the OP was presumably using) do.

I still have landline as well as cell phone. Use my all-in-1 printer to send faxes on the few occasions I need to send faxes. Landline is not just for that though.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.