Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Midnight Fax Machine #&*$ Disaster

Midnight Fax Machine #&*$ Disaster

Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Just curious - does your cell operate as a fax machine too? You're correct that cell phones do not require 011 etc, but landlines (which the OP was presumably using) do.

I still have landline as well as cell phone. Use my all-in-1 printer to send faxes on the few occasions I need to send faxes. Landline is not just for that though.

Cheers.
I haven't sent or received a fax in years - literally. I just scan the document and attach it to an email.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by milepig
I haven't sent or received a fax in years - literally. I just scan the document and attach it to an email.
Same here. I have an all-in-one, but the phone line isn't even attached.

Btw, this is what Fox Machine looks like

Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPRich
Same here. I have an all-in-one, but the phone line isn't even attached.
We have a virtual fax machine at work. Any income fax goes into a file and someone goes through a couple times a day to redirect anything to the recipient, and they come through as email attachments. I haven't gotten one of those in years either. For outgoing faxes from work (also pretty much never) our big Multi-function devices (MFDs) let me send a document to a fax machine.

I really believe the fax (or fox) will be the next thing to go into the "museum of obsolete technology." Except, by all accounts, in Japan where they're still wildly popular.

Last edited by essxjay; Aug 14, 2014 at 5:08 pm Reason: Quoting of images is not allowed
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have a virtual fax machine at work. Any income fax goes into a file and someone goes through a couple times a day to redirect anything to the recipient, and they come through as email attachments. I haven't gotten one of those in years either. For outgoing faxes from work (also pretty much never) our big Multi-function devices (MFDs) let me send a document to a fax machine.

I really believe the fax (or fox) will be the next thing to go into the "museum of obsolete technology." Except, by all accounts, in Japan where they're still wildly popular.
We have e-faxes too - alas I still get a fair number of them! Fax machines were what I would describe as obsolete when I left the UK 10 years ago - I only knew one person who had one at home, and most businesses didn't have them anymore (or had them lurking in some corner covered in dust!)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Still wildly popular in the US healthcare industry. No one seems to accept e-mails, just faxes or postal mail.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Still wildly popular in the US healthcare industry. No one seems to accept e-mails, just faxes or postal mail.
ah good point...when I need a refill on my maintenance meds Medco faxes an order form to my doc.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by emma69
We have e-faxes too - alas I still get a fair number of them! Fax machines were what I would describe as obsolete when I left the UK 10 years ago - I only knew one person who had one at home, and most businesses didn't have them anymore (or had them lurking in some corner covered in dust!)
I have one at home, and I use it not only to fax, but copy and scan.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
To most of the world "+" means "your local access code for international calls". From the U.S., you have to dial "011". From other countries, the access number is different (e.g., from Korea, it is "001").
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by iff
If I'm understanding your problem correctly, you need to dial 011 (not +) before the country code.
Absolutely brilliant! I've known about "011" and have used it for calls to Russia before but I didn't realize you had to do the same thing with a fax machine just because it was on a landline. Thank you so much! I just sent the fax an hour ago & my papers went through and I received a "fax log" sheet that stated the result was "OK". The faxes last night where I annoyed the gentleman did not state "OK". Again, thank you so much!

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Wouldn't it be easier to just change your name?
Unfortunately, no. It would not be easier in the slightest. I've looked at the requirements and I am not even going to begin going down that path. We already did it last year for my stepfather by changing the middle name on his US passport from a "C" to his full middle name. It was a nightmare I do not dare embark upon for myself when simply spelling my 2 names correctly at the appropriate moment has worked wonderfully. And now on to the next question.....

Originally Posted by Analise
Your parents generously BUY you airline tickets and this is how you speak of them? Are you kidding??? How disrespectful and ungrateful.
Considering the fact that I asked them well in advance of the fact to consult me prior to purchasing the tickets & they completely ignored me because they "were rushing", yes, this is exactly how I choose to describe their behavior. I am in no way ungrateful for all of the wonderful things they have done for me in my life, but I am certainly not going to roll over & allow them to do something negative to me without complaint. Not when the situation was completely avoidable by simply listening to what I asked of them, which was so incredibly simple, it defies belief that they didn't do it. How would you feel if your family members ignored or forgot a simple request on your part?

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! I apologize for being stuck in the 21st century with little to no knowledge of how to utilize a fax machine!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RussianTexan
Considering the fact that I asked them well in advance of the fact to consult me prior to purchasing the tickets & they completely ignored me because they "were rushing", yes, this is exactly how I choose to describe their behavior.
If you were so concerned about the specifics of airline tickets, why didn't YOU buying them? You prefer to be taken care of like a little child as opposed to paying for the tickets yourself? If so, you have no control.

I am in no way ungrateful for all of the wonderful things they have done for me in my life, but I am certainly not going to roll over & allow them to do something negative to me without complaint.
You "allowed" them to buy you airlines tickets? Do you read the stuff you write?

Not when the situation was completely avoidable by simply listening to what I asked of them, which was so incredibly simple, it defies belief that they didn't do it.
It "defies belief" that an adult is given a generous gift from his parents and then complains about it to the point of berating them because it wasn't to his specification. Again, do you read the words you write?

How would you feel if your family members ignored or forgot a simple request on your part?
Since you asked, my parents would have taken back the tickets if I had thrown a tantrum like you did. How do your parents tolerate that? It wouldn't matter one bit that there were spelling mistakes because the gift of airline tickets would have been gone. They would NEVER TOLERATE tantrums. It is intolerable for anyone in my family to be mistreated.

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! I apologize for being stuck in the 21st century with little to no knowledge of how to utilize a fax machine!
It's still a telephone line whether you're "stuck" in the 21st or 20th Century.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Last year, I bought international tickets for my grown son, his wife, and the grandkids. They were surprised and delighted. We had a great family trip to Ireland! They still thank me for that gift.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
E-mail is not considered a truly confidential form of communication, so there are HIPAA considerations.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:36 pm
iff

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
E-mail is not considered a truly confidential form of communication, so there are HIPAA considerations.
There are also considerations with faxing. As you know, of course, email and faxes are both permitted provided the covered entities comply with the privacy rules outlined in the HIPAA and HITECH requirements. That said, I agree that faxing has much less potential for risk and most providers I've worked with will fax info rather than email it.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by relangford
Last year, I bought international tickets for my grown son, his wife, and the grandkids. They were surprised and delighted. We had a great family trip to Ireland! They still thank me for that gift.
That was very nice. ^ I hope you spelled their names correctly! Or they would be
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:48 pm
iff

Originally Posted by RussianTexan
I just sent the fax an hour ago & my papers went through and I received a "fax log" sheet that stated the result was "OK".
Glad they went through, and I imagine your late-night fax friend would feel the same way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.