Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iPhone Turn-By-Turn Navigation - Italy Trip - Avoiding Big Data Charges

iPhone Turn-By-Turn Navigation - Italy Trip - Avoiding Big Data Charges

Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You could submit corrections too, I believe from within the app.

It's the only way they're going to improve.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Greetings from Italy.

Apple Maps was flawless in Sicily, we drove for several days, got it right each time and we were utterly amazed that even tiny dirt roads that maybe three people a day drive were accurately represented.

Was very low on data, under 20mb the whole way.

Thanks to all who helped advise.

BJ
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Glad it worked great! This is good to know as I have an iPad with a SIM slot in it too, and it has proved to be useful when navigating in other countries - though sometimes the roads aren't marked properly in SE Asia.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:49 pm
Suspended

The real test is finding points of interest. Hotels, attractions, restaurants, parking garages nearest you, etc.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
The real test is finding points of interest. Hotels, attractions, restaurants, parking garages nearest you, etc.
Parking garages?

If I were lucky there was a stray cow.

BJ
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:01 am
Suspended

For instance, if you go to Siracusa, to the island, you want to park in the garage right after you cross the bridge.

If you drive into the neighborhoods there, you could be subject to ZTL (cameras taking pics of unauthorized cars in restricted zones).

So a good GPS would direct you to reach the garage, which involves a U-turn IIRC.

Same issues with parking in Taormina.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
For instance, if you go to Siracusa, to the island, you want to park in the garage right after you cross the bridge.

If you drive into the neighborhoods there, you could be subject to ZTL (cameras taking pics of unauthorized cars in restricted zones).

So a good GPS would direct you to reach the garage, which involves a U-turn IIRC.

Same issues with parking in Taormina.
These are perks I did not need.

My simple expectations were to get from Point A to Point B without fail and to get re-routed accurately in case I made an error and missed a turn. Prerequisite being not to eat up my sparse ATT data plan.

What I found in testing Apple maps against Google maps and Waze is that these POI's add a ton of data strain which is Enemy #1 when using an iPhone as a GPS abroad. Apple maps rocks, in part, due to its lack of having every restaurant and obscure market in its database. A huge win for Apple maps in remote Italy is it's rendering speed; so many compound turns here, so many traffic circles and quick-switch exits, Google and Waze lag is a huge detriment.

BJ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.