Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PlayLater: Record streaming content for later

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

PlayLater: Record streaming content for later

I have been lurking on the forums for a while now, since I started a SLC-LAX weekly commute this year, and I wanted to make a small contribution.

I discovered a software/internet service called PlayLater that allows you to legally record streaming content for later viewing. I use this to record shows that you would normally only have access to while connected to the internet like netflix. A couple of conisderations:

1. You must be running vista, xp, or windows 7, BUT you can record in MPEG 4 format and view it through iTunes on your iPad.

2. You are actually recording, not just downloading, so a 50 minute show takes 50 minutes to record. The software has some nice features including a recording queue though, so I just record a few episodes of Top Gear the night before my flight and transfer them to my ipad the next morning.

Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Moby32!

I see that the price of PlayLater software is $20 for a year, or $40 lifetime, plus an undisclosed extra amount to enable HD. Do you know how much the HD option adds?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I have been using PlayLater for last six months. Bought the lifetime license. When I bought HD cost an extra $15 or so (I think I had to buy PlayOn and PlayLater licenses for $9.99 each but got a rebate of $5. That was for lifetime.

If you spend a lot of time on planes, this is a great way to take content with you.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Hopefully they'll catch up with Plex and automatically download your shows (via wifi) to your device via their app.

I have a bunch of TV Series I watch on Plex, and it will actually download (from my media server) the next episodes that I haven't yet watched.

Plex is the best media server software I've come across yet, and I've tried many: PlayOn, XBMC, Seriio, TiVo, etc. However, it doesn't allow you to record live shows. So I just download mine via torrents. To be honest I have no idea if it's legal, but all the shows I auto download are broadcast shows. I used to record them using NPVR with a TV card, but then I decided it was easier to just download them...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Moby32
I discovered a software/internet service called PlayLater that allows you to legally record streaming content for later viewing.
The legalities of this are at best iffy. If nothing else, it's against the T&C's of most services (eg, NetFlix).

That said, if it's for personal use I doubt you'd ever really have any problems...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I thought it was going to last longer (and maybe it was a price mistake), but the PlayOn/PlayLater HD lifetime license bundle was $25 yesterday. Today, it's on sale for $25/yr. Perhaps they will bring back lifetime licenses for that price around Christmas time. Keep your eyes peeled.

Looking forward to playing with this.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears to now be on-sale for $30 for the lifetime licenses with HD.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And it's back to $25 today.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
As pseudoswede indicated, it looks like the "Big Hollday Special" is on now...$19.99 for PlayOn + PlayLater "lifetime" plan. Add $5 for HD.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
For those that have it, are the recorded files free of DRM? And what are the formats/containers used? And what is the "SD" resolution? 848x480 at leas?

I currently have a Play On Basic Lifetime (grandfathered license before they went subscription) but it lacks any of the content sources added in the last 4 years and PlayLater as well.

I'm seeing a few good use cases for Play Later. The first would be to save locally some of 10-20 movies/shows my kids watch repeatedly on Netflix. Comcast has started enforcing their 300 GB limit in my area and are charging $10/50 GB over. By limiting Netflix to 0.3mbs down we flirt with the limit most months and occaisonaly go over, but letting them watch those movies/shows locally would put us back around the 100 GB/month (they also consume a lot of YouTube, PBS Kids, etc which can't be throttled easily like Netflix).

Other than that it would be basic saving of shows/movies for viewing on aircraft. Both of these would likely be served fine by the SD resolution, and file sizes would be minimized as well, but I could see storing for use through XBMC around the house as well for a few titles. I'm sure I'll spring for the HD upgrade but do most recording in SD resolution.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
So I can watch whatever I want on Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, CBS, FX, HBO, etc. and record with this program and have them in HD quality for later?

Does that mean I can't pause in the middle or have other programs running that may cause sound (Google Hangouts, Facebook, etc.)?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
For those that have it, are the recorded files free of DRM? And what are the formats/containers used? And what is the "SD" resolution? 848x480 at leas?
They are free of DRM*, are recorded in mp4 format, and a 30-minute HD TV episode is around 555MB. Cannot answer the SD part.

* - there is a brief splash screen before the video plays saying this video has been recorded for (your name) at (your IP address) and is for that person's personal use only.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan

I currently have a Play On Basic Lifetime (grandfathered license before they went subscription) but it lacks any of the content sources added in the last 4 years and PlayLater as well.

I'm seeing a few good use cases for Play Later. The first would be to save locally some of 10-20 movies/shows my kids watch repeatedly on Netflix. Comcast has started enforcing their 300 GB limit in my area and are charging $10/50 GB over. By limiting Netflix to 0.3mbs down we flirt with the limit most months and occaisonaly go over, but letting them watch those movies/shows locally would put us back around the 100 GB/month (they also consume a lot of YouTube, PBS Kids, etc which can't be throttled easily like Netflix).

Other than that it would be basic saving of shows/movies for viewing on aircraft. Both of these would likely be served fine by the SD resolution, and file sizes would be minimized as well, but I could see storing for use through XBMC around the house as well for a few titles. I'm sure I'll spring for the HD upgrade but do most recording in SD resolution.
I don't think that you will be saving any GB's with PlayLater/PlayOn. Basically, the signal is being delivered to your PC as a digital stream via your internet connection and it is being captured to a file for later viewing. It is not recording your live TV signal. For that, you need a Tivo or DVR and one that allows you to use the file. For example, my Time Warner cable enforces a lot of copyrights so Tivo recordings can't be played except by my Tivo while Comcast at another home does not so I can take recordings on the road from there.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
So I can watch whatever I want on Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, CBS, FX, HBO, etc. and record with this program and have them in HD quality for later?

Does that mean I can't pause in the middle or have other programs running that may cause sound (Google Hangouts, Facebook, etc.)?
I usually let it record at night when I am not using the computer (it takes 30 minutes to record a 30 minute show - "real time").

I believe that you don't have to worry about other sound applications and you can run the session in the background. Just make sure that you have enough bandwidth for the streaming.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JMN57
I don't think that you will be saving any GB's with PlayLater/PlayOn. Basically, the signal is being delivered to your PC as a digital stream via your internet connection and it is being captured to a file for later viewing. It is not recording your live TV signal. For that, you need a Tivo or DVR and one that allows you to use the file. For example, my Time Warner cable enforces a lot of copyrights so Tivo recordings can't be played except by my Tivo while Comcast at another home does not so I can take recordings on the road from there.
The PlayLater portion of the package basically IS TiVo for streaming media... it allows you to record content from NetFlix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. This should allow me to cut internet usage by recording the movies/shows the kids watch for local playback instead of streaming the same ones OVER AND OVER AGAIN, using bandwidth each time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.