Reload this Page >

PlayLater: Record streaming content for later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PlayLater: Record streaming content for later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Fry's has been clearing out an HP Pocket Player with 32 GB of storage. You can use it to stream PlayLater stuff over the device's WiFi. I picked up two last month for $20 each plus tax after a friend tipped me off.
I wanted one of these for the kids' tablets on car trips and just missed it... if they pop up again, I'll grab one for sure... if the PlayLater SD recording is 848x480, it would be pretty much perfect for this use on their Galaxy Tab 3 7" tablets (1024 x 600 screens).
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
These products provide a great deal of value, but are really simply a screen capture solution, not a video capture solution. It's video and audio, but not hijacking the stream and copying.

Normally, for DRM material the legality comes in the form of not being allowed to TRANSFORM the data from one source type (DRM'd to the display method, usually within a companies app only) that has embedded DRM to another output type, or stripping the DRM.. both of these are occurring.

The positive is, it is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to know that you are doing this since it's basically eavesdropping on the signal - not capturing it and altering it, or taking it, stripping the DRM and re-producing it in another format.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:31 am

It is great price so I got it! Thanks OP. I taped a few shows on CBS and CW. The quality seems about the same as streaming. Once in a while, there would be a glitch of some kind.. the video seems to pause and continue.

I couldn't really get the browser plugin to work. I tried a few video pages like AllMyVideos and such but the plugin seems only to find the Ads videos not the main video.

Oh and if anyone is wondering about the size of the recording, it is about 1.2GB for a 55 min show including commercials in HD setting.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Can someone do a test recording in SD quality and let me know the resolution, file size, and general comments on quality (keeping in mind it will be viewed on a 7" 1024x600 tablet)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Can someone do a test recording in SD quality and let me know the resolution, file size, and general comments on quality (keeping in mind it will be viewed on a 7" 1024x600 tablet)?

Thanks in advance!
I will have to figure out the resolution settings.. because right now it let you select something like auto, low, med, high, max.... When the setting tested my computer it choose max for me.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Fry's has been clearing out an HP Pocket Player with 32 GB of storage. You can use it to stream PlayLater stuff over the device's WiFi. I picked up two last month for $20 each plus tax after a friend tipped me off.
I wanted one of these for the kids' tablets on car trips and just missed it... if they pop up again, I'll grab one for sure... if the PlayLater SD recording is 848x480, it would be pretty much perfect for this use on their Galaxy Tab 3 7" tablets (1024 x 600 screens).
These are back on sale at Fry's. Limit one per customer, but I had one delivered, will pick one up. One more thing off the Christmas list!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Need
I will have to figure out the resolution settings.. because right now it let you select something like auto, low, med, high, max.... When the setting tested my computer it choose max for me.
Greatly appreciated... thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:58 pm

Max - 1280 x 720 - about 3274kbps
High - 720 x 404 - about 2576kbps
Med - 640 x 360 - about 2376kbps

The kbps is approximate since it depends on what is playing on the stream. The resolution is fixed though. I didn't go any lower than Med.. there are still Low and Min.

The quality for all 3 are good, if you are watching on a phone (my Note 2 is 5.5"). On my 17" laptop, the Med is starting to look kind of bad.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:48 am

I'm surprised the kbps isn't vastly lower for High compared to Max... given the resolution (with sound kbps staying the same) I would expect High to be more like 1/2 of Max. 2GB+ for a 2 hour movie seems quite large for 720x4040 resolution. Seems I might be better of recording at 720p and re-encoding with handbrake for the stuff I want on the tablets.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:39 am

I'm surprised the kbps isn't vastly lower for High compared to Max... given the resolution (with sound kbps staying the same) I would expect High to be more like 1/2 of Max. 2GB+ for a 2 hour movie seems quite large for 720x4040 resolution. Seems I might be better of recording at 720p and re-encoding with handbrake for the stuff I want on the tablets.
I think it depends on the contents.. I wasn't recording the same show. For example, when I did the Stars Wars Force Awaken trailer on High, I actually got up to over 2700kbps. I guess because the scenes were changing so fast on a trailer and the compression on the mpeg is not as effective as on the music videos where the background stay the same and only the person is moving around.

Also I found out why my recorded video was randomly glitching out (pause and continue). It turns out I need to disable hardware acceleration on adobe flash player. Now it seems to record fine without glitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.