Reload this Page >

PlayLater: Record streaming content for later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PlayLater: Record streaming content for later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JMN57
I usually let it record at night when I am not using the computer (it takes 30 minutes to record a 30 minute show - "real time").

I believe that you don't have to worry about other sound applications and you can run the session in the background. Just make sure that you have enough bandwidth for the streaming.
Can you queue multiple items to record overnight? So have it record multiple movies/shows in sequence from 11pm to 7am, for example? Also, can you record multiple streams at the same time (bandwidth and account access permitting)?

Or can you only start a single recording at a time manually?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
So once recorded, it's saved on my hard drive and plays nicely on VLC?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by joshwex90
So once recorded, it's saved on my hard drive and plays nicely on VLC?
Indeed.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only reason I was trying to confirm was because it just seems too good to be true. $20 for a lifetime license to "download" any movie/TV show I watch on Netflix?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:09 pm

The legality is the sticky point, not the ability do record internet streams with software.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would it be illegal if I'm not copying? How is it different from a DVR?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:15 pm

Mainly because of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act... any software that circumvents digital copy protection methods put in place by the content owner or distributor is in violation. It could be argued, but I'm fairly certain this would qualify as circumvention.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
The PlayLater portion of the package basically IS TiVo for streaming media... it allows you to record content from NetFlix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. This should allow me to cut internet usage by recording the movies/shows the kids watch for local playback instead of streaming the same ones OVER AND OVER AGAIN, using bandwidth each time.

Got it - not having kids, I forget that they can obsessively watch the same thing over and over.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:25 pm

Can you queue multiple items to record overnight? So have it record multiple movies/shows in sequence from 11pm to 7am, for example? Also, can you record multiple streams at the same time (bandwidth and account access permitting)?

I have queued multiple recordings serially. I have not done parallel and, short of having multiple PCs that have PlayLater, don't think it can be done. Yes, bandwidth could be a problem.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Why would it be illegal if I'm not copying? How is it different from a DVR?
I believe the thinking is if you did so to watch the content once, then deleting, it would be an appropriate rental use. If you "kept" the rental though, it becomes more like "buying".

For services like NetFlix where it is flat price and the title is always available, I don't see much problem. It get more problematic when it is Amazon, not Prime but a paid rental and they are also selling the title. In that case, recording it and then not deleting after a viewing promotes the rental to a purchase, so to speak.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Based on my limited experience with the product, you can queue up as much content as you'd like. It appears you can only record one show at a time.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the thinking is if you did so to watch the content once, then deleting, it would be an appropriate rental use. If you "kept" the rental though, it becomes more like "buying".

For services like NetFlix where it is flat price and the title is always available, I don't see much problem. It get more problematic when it is Amazon, not Prime but a paid rental and they are also selling the title. In that case, recording it and then not deleting after a viewing promotes the rental to a purchase, so to speak.
With Netflix, is it legally a "rental?"

I don't rent from Amazon but I have Amazon Prime, so use that.

And then there's Hulu and the networks - that is almost literally a direct analogy to DVR

Anyways, I asked a lawyer friend about the legality, and here's what he said: "Seems to me it would be legal so long as they are paying rights fees for recording content or if content is available without a subscription as some networks allow -but won't let you skip commercials. I guess the question I would have is what this service provides that HULU, Netflix, etc. do not."
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:52 am

Your wording is a bit unclear on the subject, which is why I feel the need to point out that many NetFlix streaming titles are not available indefinitely. Some are, but the majority are available only for the duration of the agreement with the owner of the title. Whether that has any impact on the legality of PlayLater, though, I'm not qualified to say.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:18 am

You're all forgetting that the DMCA pretty much negates fair use as this is still bypassing encryption (even if it is more going around it than actually breaking it). Even if not illegal, it's most definitely breaking the T&C of most or all of the services it is recording from.

In the most practical sense, if people just want to steal content they're not going to pay for PlayLater, pay for the Streaming Services, and take the time/effort to record it themselves... they're just going to download it from BitTorrent or Usenet. And if someone really wants to be a distributor of pirated content, they're not going to go this route either as, by the time something is on even Amazon for rental/purchase, it's already been on BT/Usenet for a month or more and in BluRay quality.

While I'd say there are some laws being broken here, PlayLater sits so far outside of the bulk of copyright infringement (lag in content availability and paying for things that can already be pirated easier for free) that I don't think its use is all that nefarious.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:25 am

Fry's has been clearing out an HP Pocket Player with 32 GB of storage. You can use it to stream PlayLater stuff over the device's WiFi. I picked up two last month for $20 each plus tax after a friend tipped me off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.