Wiki Posts
Search

Wireless internet to TV

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:51 pm
iff
Original Poster

Wireless internet to TV

Back in the US now after several years in France, I've been out of the technology loop for a while and am confused by some of the information I'm reading when I search.

I'd like to stream internet wirelessly to a screen in the bedroom from the adjoining room, with the goal of watching overseas TV shows. I know I'd need a VPN if I wanted to watch live, but I can also watch a fair number of shows available in "replay" without using a VPN.

From what I can tell, Smart TVs allow access only to select services (e.g., Netflix, Amazon, etc.) so are not compatible with general internet viewing. Is this correct?

I'd prefer something not too expensive that can be remote-controlled from the bedroom so I don't have to get up and change settings/sites via the computer in the other room. Installing wiring and running cables aren't feasible in this apartment.

I currently don't own a TV or monitor at all so will need to get something appropriate. What solutions might be available?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This might be a PITA for you, but you can connect a laptop directly to your TV with an HDMI cable. It is probably the easiest way to watching foreign TV with (or without) a VPN.

After that, the solutions get more complex (and more expensive).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:11 pm
iff
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
This might be a PITA for you, but you can connect a laptop directly to your TV with an HDMI cable. It is probably the easiest way to watching foreign TV with (or without) a VPN.

After that, the solutions get more complex (and more expensive).
Well, yes, kind of a PITA, though you're right that it's probably the simplest solution. Thank you for the suggestion.

What else is possible, even if more complex and more expensive? Is there any way to do this without having to turn on the laptop at all?

Last edited by iff; Jul 30, 2014 at 8:16 pm
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) You can stream whatever you're watching on a tablet (with or without a VPN) onto your TV. For Android, you'll need Chromecast ($30-ish). For iPad, you'll need an AppleTV ($100?).

2) Install Plex on your desktop computer. It makes your computer a multimedia server. There may or may not be an app available in Plex to stream directly from whatever foreign TV source you may have. You can then either use Chromecast, Apple TV, or Roku ($70-ish) to access Plex on your TV.

3) #2 + VPN. I can try to explain it, but even I get lost. It involves another desktop computer and another wireless router that has been flashed with DD-WRT firmware.

Once I finish grad school at the end of this year, I will look into #3 so that Mrs. Swede and the kids have a much easier time accessing Swedish TV programs.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
the cheapest is likely the chromecast and any phone or tablet. I VPN (witopia) to a London server and watch BBC shows casting to a TV. Certain android devices can now cast anything the screen shows (nexus 7, etc). This review is from December but scroll down and it has an update.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google...very-much-best
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:57 pm
iff
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. As I was reading up on them, I realized I have only one old, poorly placed, sparky two-prong outlet in the bedroom anyway. I'll have to rethink my strategy and maybe come back to this when I have a different living situation or a more flexible budget.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:23 pm

I use this: http://www.netgear.com/landing/stream/tv/#push2tv
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Katja
Sixty bucks, needs WiDi which most newer smartphones, laptops and tablets have. if you don't mind using a laptop, tablet or phone as a "remote," this might work.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
The past seven years we have been living abroad in various countries, each move was temporary so we were happy with netflix via vpn on our laptop.

Now our move to Japan will be longer term so we would like watch our Nexflix on a TV. We have purchased a smart TV with wireless internet connectivity and a cloakbox (router with US IP address (VPN router)) and the TV now automatically connects to our VPN.

However since we have a Japanese smart TV (Toshiba Regza) it does not have the netflix app. It will not allow us to install third party android apps including netflix. Most North American TV's have Netflix / Hulu apps already installed in the TV so this is not an issue.

We tried to watch Netflix via browser however we can't control the browser so we are unable to log in properly. We also have found out that the TV does not have the required codec to render properly.

What should I do now? Is a Rokku controller the way to go? I don't want to go to Chromecast because I would need another device. A rokku is a remote control which is acceptable.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. Roku is another device, too.

Chromecast is much smaller and hides in an HDMI slot behind your TV*.

* - But you still need a power supply--USB charger with microUSB cable.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede

Chromecast is much smaller and hides in an HDMI slot behind your TV*.

* - But you still need a power supply--USB charger with microUSB cable.
Chromecast came with USB adapter and MicroUSB cable. But if he has a newer TV, he could just plug the USB cable back into his TV USB slot. I have a 4 years old Samsung TV and the USB power from TV works just fine.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
Chromecast came with USB adapter and MicroUSB cable. But if he has a newer TV, he could just plug the USB cable back into his TV USB slot. I have a 4 years old Samsung TV and the USB power from TV works just fine.
Did not know that. Thanks!

Best Buy has a 2-pack of Chromecast devices for $55 right now. Very tempted.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:57 pm
iff
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boerne
the cheapest is likely the chromecast and any phone or tablet. I VPN (witopia) to a London server and watch BBC shows casting to a TV. Certain android devices can now cast anything the screen shows (nexus 7, etc). This review is from December but scroll down and it has an update.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google...very-much-best
If I understand correctly, though, Chromecast shows only whatever's available via its app, doesn't it? And in order to screen cast (because what I'd want to watch probably wouldn't be available via an app), I'd need one of these compatible devices:
Nexus 4
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 10
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S4 (Google Play Edition)
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
HTC One M7
HTC One M7 (Google Play Edition)
LG G3
LG G2
LG G Pro 2
Please correct me if I'm confused.

I have only a Samsung Galaxy S2. Which of the currently compatible devices might be the most cost-effective? I'm not against getting a tablet but it needs to be relatively cheap.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by iff
If I understand correctly, though, Chromecast shows only whatever's available via its app, doesn't it? And in order to screen cast (because what I'd want to watch probably wouldn't be available via an app), I'd need one of these compatible devices:

Please correct me if I'm confused.

I have only a Samsung Galaxy S2. Which of the currently compatible devices might be the most cost-effective? I'm not against getting a tablet but it needs to be relatively cheap.
Do you have a computer (laptop) that can run Chrome browser? If so, you just need that to control your chromecast. You don't have to "screen cast". Samsung Galaxy S2 could do netflix and youtube apps chromecast. You don't really need a powerful device for netflix and youtube, because all it does is to control and select which video to play on the chromecast. The chromecast gets the contents directly from your router connecting to the internet. You are using your smartphone/tablet/computer.. like a remote control.

Now if you want to mirror your Android screen, then you need to have a more powerful device like the one on the list you posted. Again if you are just doing netflix or youtube, you don't need to get a newer phone.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Please correct me:

With a chromecast, you need another device (tablet, computer, smart phone) to control the app. Correct?

This is what I want to avoid. I do not want to purchase another device on top of the Chromecast.

The Roku I have been told, you can control it with a remote control. Is this correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.