Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile News: iOS8 will allow wifi calling

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation T-Mobile News: iOS8 will allow wifi calling

Didn't notice this mentioned elsewhere and stumbled across this article today dated from back in June.

T-Mobile announces WiFi Calling will be supported in Apple's upcoming iOS8 release.

(Mods: if this should be merged into another thread, feel free, I won't object.)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
Didn't notice this mentioned elsewhere and stumbled across this article today dated from back in June.

T-Mobile announces WiFi Calling will be supported in Apple's upcoming iOS8 release.

(Mods: if this should be merged into another thread, feel free, I won't object.)
I posted something similar last month but I'm too lazy to pull the post.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I also remember Dubai Stu's post, but I'm also too lazy to find it.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...i-calling.html

20 seconds to find.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:56 pm

Now that 8.1 has been out for sometime and wifi calling has worked with TMO devices, wondering if anyone knows if wifi calling will work on a Verizon 5s, but with a TMO sim card swapped in?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dtsm
Now that 8.1 has been out for sometime and wifi calling has worked with TMO devices, wondering if anyone knows if wifi calling will work on a Verizon 5s, but with a TMO sim card swapped in?
It should, it is a carrier update that is pushed to the phone after registering. Since it is "baked in" to iOS 8.1 the update should just "turn it on" similar to how the hotspot feature is restricted until an update gets pushed out to turn it on.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm really hoping the airlines squash this.

No offense "high powered 100 miles an hour business guys" but if I'm trying to enjoy a nice quiet flight (C/J/Y doesn't matter) I don't want to listen to you close a deal, organize a meeting or just generally sound like an ... on the phone.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm really hoping the airlines squash this.

No offense "high powered 100 miles an hour business guys" but if I'm trying to enjoy a nice quiet flight (C/J/Y doesn't matter) I don't want to listen to you close a deal, organize a meeting or just generally sound like an ... on the phone.
Well, the port is blocked for WiFi calling now, so i assume that it will continue to be.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My niece will be an exchange student about an hour away from Mrs. Swede and I. I am going to give her a T-Mobile SIM to use in her iPhone 5 (purchased in Sweden). As long as she has iOS 8 installed, she should be able to take advantage of wifi calling, correct?

Any first-hand experiences of foreign iPhone 5's, iOS 8, T-Mobile, and wifi calling? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
My niece will be an exchange student about an hour away from Mrs. Swede and I. I am going to give her a T-Mobile SIM to use in her iPhone 5 (purchased in Sweden). As long as she has iOS 8 installed, she should be able to take advantage of wifi calling, correct?

Any first-hand experiences of foreign iPhone 5's, iOS 8, T-Mobile, and wifi calling? Thanks in advance.
I used my old us cellular phone on tmobile, provided it is unlocked, she should have no problems with it. It will pull down a carrier update after she turns it on, and that will allow for the WiFi calling to work. IPhone's are pretty much all the same regardless of the original carrier.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I used my old us cellular phone on tmobile, provided it is unlocked, she should have no problems with it. It will pull down a carrier update after she turns it on, and that will allow for the WiFi calling to work. IPhone's are pretty much all the same regardless of the original carrier.
Wifi calling isn't supported on iPhone 5. Only 5s/5c & above.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203032
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
Wifi calling isn't supported on iPhone 5. Only 5s/5c & above.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203032
I just noticed the missing letter.

So, if she had the right one, she would be fine. Google hangout dialer... Ftw!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Maybe she does have a 5s. I will find out.

Originally Posted by WIRunner
It will pull down a carrier update after she turns it on, and that will allow for the WiFi calling to work.
Will this carrier update affect the phone once she returns to Sweden and back to her incumbent cell phone company?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:06 pm

My Verizon branded 5s, purchased Nov. 2013, iOS 8.1.2 and jb works fine with wifi calling on the TMO simple choice plan.

Ported my Verizon number to older 4s this past winter, slipped my TMO sim card into 5s and up/running perfectly. Your niece should be just fine.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Thanks. Maybe she does have a 5s. I will find out.

Will this carrier update affect the phone once she returns to Sweden and back to her incumbent cell phone company?
No, she'll get a refresh when she puts the old SIM back in. Her data may stop working, but she should be able to get the APN settings from them, or they can push this into the phone. Basically the update unlocks the WiFi calling, and changes the APN settings (which may or may not be on the SIM card anyway.) I've swapped SIMs between AT&T and T-Mobile phones multiple times without issues on either en.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.