Verizon to Start Throttling LTE Data Speeds for Heavy Users

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite

Originally Posted by cellular-news
[...]

Starting from October, customers on its unlimited download tariffs may find their download speeds drop sharply when they are in areas where traffic is already heavy with other users. As a result, Verizon is prioritizing traffic from customers who buy a set amount of bandwidth, over those who have the older unlimited tariffs.

It's estimated that just the top five percent of its LTE customers would be affected by the change, and that would apply to customers downloading an average of more than 4.7Gb of traffic per month. Unlike some mobile networks who impose a blanket policy onto users who exceed their "fair use" allocation, Verizon's is more selective, and only affects users when a cell site is starting to see heavy usage at the time.
Source
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
So.....

If they don't like the contract they gave to people, they'll just unilaterally change it.

Nice.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
So.....

If they don't like the contract they gave to people, they'll just unilaterally change it.

Nice.
They are not changing anything. There was always a fair use policy in place. That is the thing with FUP's - they can be interpreted any way the operator wants.

I know people who burn through upwards of 50GB/month on their MiFi, and I'm perfectly happy to have them kicked off the network if it means the experience improves for everyone else.

Also, the system Verizon will use is very generous - it only applies when your usage is excessive on a specific cell, unlike most operators who just kick you off no matter where you are.

In other words - people who are using 4G as their primary source of Internet should probably start looking for cable or DSL
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:20 pm

I used to be a stalwart VZW supporter, but I am now thinking about jumping ship.

I do not abuse my grandfathered unlimited, but the notion that 4.7GB is the threshold is utter ridiculousness. That is artificially low. Conveniently just below a 5GB plan I see... Set it at about 30-40GB and I think that is fair.

The first time they "optimize" me, I am taking my business elsewhere.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robroy90
The first time they "optimize" me, I am taking my business elsewhere.
Where do you plan on going? Every operator has their limit set to around 5GB. If you want more data, pay for it. Even on those that have "unlimited" like T-Mobile and Sprint, you'll find yourself throttled over 5GB. There isn't an operator who wants a customer who feels 5GB is not enough without paying extra for it.

40-50GB of 4G on mobile is insane, and way above what is considered normal usage, most likely this means a lot of streaming video. I do a LOT on my device, with over 1000 emails a week, a lot of photo uploads and a ton of social, and I reach around 3GB/month.

Verizon will gladly sell you 50GB/month, and it will cost you $375 - sadly, this means either pay up, or stop misusing mobile data. I'd recommend finding WiFi a lot more.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:27 pm

First of all, I am not the one who sold it as "unlimited" - they did. They didn't say 5GB, 10GB, 50GB... they said UNLIMITED.

Secondly, I live on the road in my business. A fast connection is my lifeblood, for both professional and personal use. I am sick of people saying "just use WiFi more". It would be great if it were that easy, but it isn't. Pervasive WiFi that is actually ubiquitous and of a decent quality is still a pipe dream.

During the day I am at client sites who have restrictive (if not prohibited) usage policies, even when I need to download large installation packages or ISOs.

At night, when in a hotel room, we all know what the WiFi is like most of the time when all you want to do is fire up the Slingbox and catch up on a show from the DVR at home, etc.

So, am I a person who consumes 500GB of LTE a month? No. Do I think 500GB a month is "fair use"? No. BUT, it sure isn't 5GB either. To question my reasonable usage beyond yours as insane is insulting.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At night, when in a hotel room, we all know what the WiFi is like most of the time when all you want to do is fire up the Slingbox and catch up on a show from the DVR at home, etc.

So, am I a person who consumes 500GB of LTE a month? No. Do I think 500GB a month is "fair use"? No. BUT, it sure isn't 5GB either. To question my reasonable usage beyond yours as insane is insulting.
Sorry, but reasonable usage is NOT using Verizon LTE (or any other operator) for Slingbox or downloading ISO's. Sure, the occasional important file or a couple of minutes to catch the score is not going to violate the terms, but the kind of people who regularly blow past 5GB and demand more should pay up.

If, like you say, you use this for business, then just accept the fact that more data means more money. And sadly for you, the terms are not changing - they are not going to cut you off, you still get unlimited data, you just don't get it at the full speed.

Also, reading is hard - I said "40-50GB of 4G on mobile is insane" - I did not comment on your individual usage, so don't twist my words. I stick by the fact that relying on a personal (5GB) account expecting 40-50GB is insane. It is not what the networks are designed for. This might change in the future, but the current state of networks (and the economy behind them) doesn't account for people being able to pump that much data through a $70/month plan.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:51 pm

What part of them billing it as UNLIMITED is so difficult for you to understand? They chose that marketing, now they want to alter it because it isn't as profitable as it once was.

That is the equivalent of an "all you can eat buffet" place not bringing out more food. Good business model to have if everyone just eats one plate. If you don't want to lure customers on that marketing, then don't use it. It is that simple.

This brainwashing that the carriers have transitioned to has clearly worked on you. Data consumption for even the "pedestrian" tasks is only going to increase year over year and they want to rape their customers on it. When did the 5GB figure become the arbitrary acceptable number???

Furthermore, if you are so judicious in your use of your 3GB of data a month, what do you care what other customers use if you have WiFi everywhere??
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ScottC
I'd recommend finding WiFi a lot more.
Because Wifi hoping is so great.

Originally Posted by ScottC
It is not what the networks are designed for.
That's exacly what LTE is made for.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marschel

That's exacly what LTE is made for.
It may be what LTE was once proposed for, but I can assure you that none of the mobile operators designed their networks to allow people to stream video all day and burn through 50GB of data on a basic "unlimited plan".
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marschel
Because Wifi hoping is so great.
That is sadly the reality of requiring massive amounts of data. It isn't great, but nowadays with providers like Comcast, there are a hell of a lot of hotspots out there. Easier than 4G? Definitely not.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
...I live on the road in my business. A fast connection is my lifeblood, for both professional and personal use. I am sick of people saying "just use WiFi more". It would be great if it were that easy, but it isn't. Pervasive WiFi that is actually ubiquitous and of a decent quality is still a pipe dream.

During the day I am at client sites who have restrictive (if not prohibited) usage policies, even when I need to download large installation packages or ISOs.

At night, when in a hotel room, we all know what the WiFi is like most of the time when all you want to do is fire up the Slingbox and catch up on a show from the DVR at home, etc....
The throttling Verizon has announced starts after 4.7 GB from a single cell. The odds are pretty good that your usage doesn't exceed that.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Used to be grandfathered until my father, not realizing, changed the whole family to shared data. So no horse anymore in the game. But didn't VZW make such a big deal that unlike AT&T, they specifically won't do this?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
The throttling Verizon has announced starts after 4.7 GB from a single cell. .
That's not what the linked article reports:

would apply to customers downloading an average of more than 4.7Gb of traffic per month

The throttling will only apply if the cell is congested, but it appears that the throttling will be applied based on the customers' usage pattern, not based on how much of the current congestion is attributable to their accounts.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mia
That's not what the linked article reports:

The throttling will only apply if the cell is congested, but it appears that the throttling will be applied based on the customers' usage pattern, not based on how much of the current congestion is attributable to their accounts.
Ah, got it. I remembered another poster's explanation as if it were the news story. This story explains the throttling plan in more detail; the gist is that it will only apply on busy cells, but overall monthly usage is the trigger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.