Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Disappointed in Audio-Technica ANC-23 NC earbuds.

Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hey folks - just wanted to see if my experience is atypical.

I bought a new pair of the ANC-23s from Beach Camera online and they arrived at the office today. I have to admit - I'm thoroughly underwhelmed.

I am no stranger to NC headphones. I have a pair of Panasonic over-the-ear phones that actually worked quite well, I thought. For the last two years I've used a pair of passive, noise-isolating Shure's.

When I saw the ANC23's for around $70, I thought it would be a good opportunity.

I find the noise canceling to be negligible at best. I can still hear both high and low frequencies without issue. I'll admit I'm not in a plane, but I played a recording of engine noise and sure enough, it MAY have trimmed out a tiny bit of the bottom end, but still just as clearly heard.

I also tried a white noise generator on my phone - no luck... I can hear the whirr of the office Air conditioning and the computer fans just fine.

I've tried a variety of the earbud tips (I am told I have large ear canals) and even the foam noise-isolating tips.

Did I pick up a dud pair or is this normal?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:08 pm

Return them as defective. What do you care if somebody else's earbuds work or don't.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Earbuds aren't Audio Technica's strong suit... and they definitely ARE Shure's. I really like my ANC27 NC Headphones, even compared to the much more expensive Bose QC2s they replaced. That said, if I were looking for in-ear (any in-ear becomes uncomfortable for me after about 15 min) Shure would probably be my first and last stop. If you can return them, I would. Otherwise, gift them to someone with lower expectations and keep rocking your Shures for when you need in-ear.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Honestly, I've never found a pair of active noise cancelling headphones or earbuds I actually thought worked well except for the Bose products. Shure is great for noise-isolating, but that's a different beast.

If you're looking for a active noise cancelling, I'd highly recommend the Bose QC20i Earbuds. They're a good bit more expensive than your $70 Audio-Technica purchase, but they are super-comfortable, rechargeable, and do a great job at blocking things out.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Scifience
Honestly, I've never found a pair of active noise cancelling headphones or earbuds I actually thought worked well except for the Bose products. Shure is great for noise-isolating, but that's a different beast.

If you're looking for a active noise cancelling, I'd highly recommend the Bose QC20i Earbuds. They're a good bit more expensive than your $70 Audio-Technica purchase, but they are super-comfortable, rechargeable, and do a great job at blocking things out.
I second this. As someone who's had both the ANC-23's and the QC20i's, all I need to say is WOW on the QC20i's. You *will* notice a difference.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Boogie711
I bought a new pair of the ANC-23s from Beach Camera online and they arrived at the office today. I have to admit - I'm thoroughly underwhelmed.

I am no stranger to NC headphones. I have a pair of Panasonic over-the-ear phones that actually worked quite well, I thought. For the last two years I've used a pair of passive, noise-isolating Shure's.

When I saw the ANC23's for around $70, I thought it would be a good opportunity.

I find the noise canceling to be negligible at best. I can still hear both high and low frequencies without issue. I'll admit I'm not in a plane, but I played a recording of engine noise and sure enough, it MAY have trimmed out a tiny bit of the bottom end, but still just as clearly heard.

I also tried a white noise generator on my phone - no luck... I can hear the whirr of the office Air conditioning and the computer fans just fine.

I've tried a variety of the earbud tips (I am told I have large ear canals) and even the foam noise-isolating tips.

Did I pick up a dud pair or is this normal?
If I recall correctly, I owned the ANC-23. I currently use the Bose QC20i.
I've only used the ANC-23 in airplanes and that is the reason I bought it. I can certainly state that it reduced engine noise a great deal and I used it for a few years on many flights. The Bose QC20i is better though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.