Wiki Posts
Search

Secret Service: Crooks Can Steal Your Info From Hotel Computers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Secret Service: Crooks Can Steal Your Info From Hotel Computers

Keylogger malware can be present on computers in hotel business centers and thanks to it everything from passwords to other personal data can captured by crooks.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/trav...ervice-n155311

With the prevalence of smartphones, tablets, and laptops, who still uses public access terminals?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by FTcadence
Keylogger malware can be present on computers in hotel business centers and thanks to it everything from passwords to other personal data can captured by crooks.

With the prevalence of smartphones, tablets, and laptops, who still uses public access terminals?
Those of us that need to print the occasional boarding pass, maybe? Not every airport and airline supports EBPs. Sure, you can use the kiosks at the airport, but there are those of us that would rather head straight for TSA purgatory.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FTcadence

Whenever I have to print out things, too often there is no great alternative that is as readily available.

Boarding pass, hotel reservations and other itineraries need to sometimes be printed out. Then there are things like venue tickets that need to be printed out as the alternative would be to buy tickets for a marked up price or to wait in long lines to pick up a ticket even at will-call.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:22 pm

Some hotels let you email PDFs to their printer. Mitigates the risk of malware at the public computer but unfortunately not compatible with secured PDFs.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:38 pm

Gasp!! They can also easily access your computer/smart phone information when you connect to a hotels internet.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:49 pm

... brought to you by your friendly NSA.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Whenever I have to print out things, too often there is no great alternative that is as readily available.

Boarding pass, hotel reservations and other itineraries need to sometimes be printed out. Then there are things like venue tickets that need to be printed out as the alternative would be to buy tickets for a marked up price or to wait in long lines to pick up a ticket even at will-call.
I generally using my laptop to print to pdf first, then use some usb stick to print from the hotel computer.

Occasionally I have to just use the hotel/public computer to login my gmail, I have 2SV enabled on my account so that will make things a little better.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fishywang
I generally using my laptop to print to pdf first, then use some usb stick to print from the hotel computer.

Occasionally I have to just use the hotel/public computer to login my gmail, I have 2SV enabled on my account so that will make things a little better.
I print/save as PDF and save the file as a draft to a burner email account and then print from that burner email account draft -- that is for mundane things.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Fortet hotel business centres - think of all the Internet Cafés out there. Unsecured WiFi spots. Etc.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by JDiver
Fortet hotel business centres - think of all the Internet Cafés out there. Unsecured WiFi spots. Etc.
Internet cafes are the same case as hotel business centers, unsecured WiFi spots are not. For example, it's safe to use Gmail in unsecured WiFi with your own devices if you don't ignore all the security warnings (if any), but it's NOT safe to use internet cafes/hotel business centers to use your Gmail account.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
I'm shocked that anyone finds this shocking

Unless you are using some form of two factor authentication, you should never use a public computer to access sensitive data. Never. Never ever. Library, hotel business center, computer at a retail store, wherever. Never.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bama87
Gasp!! They can also easily access your computer/smart phone information when you connect to a hotels internet.
Got my gmail address book stolen before doing exactly the above. I always wonder if my smartphone is accessing gmail via some sort of secure protocol.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:10 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:49 am
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I'm shocked that anyone finds this shocking
LOL

Originally Posted by angatol
I occasionally browse the various download folders on hotel PCs. Makes interesting reading I would never login to anything on someone else's PC. If I needed to print a BP, I'd download it on my laptop and upload to a web server and print from there, or just connect my laptop direct to the printer.
I've done the same thing. Its interesting what you will find. Everything from pictures to work documents.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
No kidding, on a public computer network - it's very easy to see everyone signed into the popular "domain" of Workgroup, and see that it's xxxx's computer or yyyy's Dell zzz. It doesn't take much effort to tap the Shared Folders to pick n choose any & all available MP4's or whatever.

Geesssh, I thought for a moment they have come up with a N S A sanctioned solution in the interest of xxxxx xxxxxxx.

Wishful thinking, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.