Wiki Posts
Search

No New Google Voice? Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
No New Google Voice? Alternatives?

I tried to set up a new GV number for the past hour. I went through the entire area code list of the USA and there were No NEW NUMBERS to be had. Are they really pulling the plug? I don't WANT to go to hangouts

Anyway, I give out my GV # when I don't want to give out a real phone number and my current GV # has started to get too many calls from unwanted people such as telemarketers and the like so I need an alternative. I want to have a number that I can forward to my "real" number to but that is disposable after awhile.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Oh yea, and free if possible would be nice!!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
It's possible that they are temporary out ?? Try again over the weekend or early next week? I picked up a new/extra GV number not too long ago and with patience, managed to get a prized 718 area code for NYC - couldn't even do that nowadays with the big mobile carriers, and flipped it around as a primary GV number.

What about free Talkatone - it's better than GrooVeIP, IMO - free incoming call & extra outgoing ones (above the 10/15/20 monthly allowance) are cheap ? I've been using it for a while and it's good on both Androids & iOS, even without the premium features. Had to wait & re-try to get a local number that I like, and, it is "disposable"

If & when Google shutdown GV and migrate everyone over to Hangouts as rumored, then all bets are off & plenty of scrambling.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:54 am
Original Poster

I will check out talkatone. I need something that will forward to both a cell phone AND my OOMA.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'd just pay someone like voip.ms the $0.99/month (plus $0.01/minute) to have a DID there and set up a ring group containing your cell and Ooma number. You can just throw away the number when you don't want it anymore and get a new one.

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
I picked up a new/extra GV number not too long ago and with patience, managed to get a prized 718 area code for NYC - couldn't even do that nowadays with the big mobile carriers, and flipped it around as a primary GV number.
In what universe is 718 prized? 212 and 917, sure.

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 12, 2014 at 12:52 am
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
GV numbers are still available, but they are clearly limiting their release.

Apparently if you check shortly after 5pm Pacific there's a better chance of getting one. If that doesn't work, try again a few hours later or the next day.

If you're not too concerned about the area code, you can enter a space in the area code search box and it will show you all numbers - right now there's 9 available for the entire country!

The other option is to port in a number - pickup a cheap pre-paid SIM and port that over, or even port from a VOIP provider (although expect that to take longer and be more painful)

Otherwise all of the usual options apply if you're willing to pay - Callcentric (free inbound in NY, or $2/month, 1.5cents/min - plus 2 cents/min for the outbound), voip.ms ($1/month, plus 1 cents per minute for each of inbound + outbound leg), etc. CallCentric even have a telemarker block that might be of interest to you - http://www.callcentric.com/features/telemarketer_block

Last edited by docbert; Jul 12, 2014 at 12:50 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: I fly UA, drive Hertz and sleep around...
Talking Block your unwanted callers directly in Google Voice

NC Girl, you can easily block your unwanted callers from calling you again. My GV number is the only one I ever give out, for that very reason. Here are the steps:

• Go to https://voice.google.com and sign in
  • You should then see a list of all the calls you have made and received, and probably texts too if you use that function.
  • Under each call detail you will have links for CALL, TEXT, and MORE. The MORE link will be a drop-down.
  • Click MORE and choose BLOCK CALLER.
  • You will then get a pop-up saying "Are you sure you want to block this caller?" Confirm yes by clicking BLOCK. If you want to hear the message the caller will receive you can click PLAY first, just don't forget to click BLOCK.

Now the next time that unwanted caller attempts to call you they will receive the classic "This number is no longer in service" message, and you will never hear from that number again!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I know how to do that. The problem is I can't get a GV number!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'm searching right now. There are plenty. Assuming the NC in NC_Girl stands for North Carolina and that's where you're looking for a number, all 7 of the North Carolina area codes have numbers available.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I just added on in 650 and 434 last week.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by javabytes
I'm searching right now. There are plenty. Assuming the NC in NC_Girl stands for North Carolina and that's where you're looking for a number, all 7 of the North Carolina area codes have numbers available.
Actually there are 8...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ina_area_codes

Last edited by HDQDD; Jul 26, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by javabytes
In what universe is 718 prized? 212 and 917, sure.
718 predates 917 by some time.

Whether appearing to be a long-standing outer-borough groundline is "prized" is another question, of course!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: I fly UA, drive Hertz and sleep around...
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
Anyway, I give out my GV # when I don't want to give out a real phone number and my current GV # has started to get too many calls from unwanted people such as telemarketers and the like so I need an alternative. I want to have a number that I can forward to my "real" number to but that is disposable after awhile.
So sorry for the confusion, NC_Girl. I read this part of your original posting and thought you already had a GV number, you just wanted a new one due to the increasing volume of unwanted calls. That's why I suggested you simply block your unwanted callers.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:16 am
Original Poster

No problem!

I am happy they have opened up numbers again, got one today after reading this here...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
718 predates 917 by some time.

Whether appearing to be a long-standing outer-borough groundline is "prized" is another question, of course!
Exactly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.