Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Taming the unruly Macbook power cord

Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver

I love my 11 inch MacBook Air and how it practically disappears in the briefcase or other travel bag. What doesn't disappear in the bag is the power brick, particularly once you add the extension power cord to reach outlets. I've looked at the various ways to wind the cord online, but if you don't stress the built in cord by using it to tie up the extension cord, you've still got the extension cord flapping around in the bag.

Does anyone have a favorite cord tie solution? Anyone using either the original or the current Powercurl from Quirky? Any other ideas besides trying to figure out how not to end up sleeping on the couch after the wife discovers I spent a small fortune on a Finsix Dart?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, American EXP
I've had one form of the 11" MBA since they came out and have never had to use the extension cord on the power brick. I think they are all still wrapped in Apple packaging. Try a few trips without the extension and you may just be surprised at how easy it is to loose. That and great battery life mean it only has to be plugged in at night or during lunch breaks. I frequently take trips of 3-4 days and never have to unravel the MagSafe cord other than the ~12" or so I leave dangling. YRMV
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
I always just wrap mine up like...

...and toss it into an old DL amenity kit bag along with a few other chargers.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
Interesting thought CRP. I'm still getting used to the long battery life. I spend a lot of time on the road in conference rooms with poor electrical outlet placement, which is why I've been carrying the cable.

FTCadence - I'd seen those pictures online, but also seen a lot of criticism of it for the wear it puts on the electrical cords. Have you had any problem with that? How long have you been wrapping that way?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:35 pm

I use thin, two prong figure 8 appliance cords. when traveling internationally i use an extension version (female/male ends) that accepts the small plug adapters including the apple adapter kit on the outlet side. u can get these in black and white. same as anker powercord. with extensions you can link them together and run easily across a large room.

extension:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

power cord:
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1076...e+8+power+cord

Last edited by exdoc33; Jul 9, 2014 at 11:40 pm Reason: Update:
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
I used to do like FTCadence... then I also had the "Hang on - my battery lasts 8 hours and it charges in next to no time" crp5 epiphany.

So I just stopped carrying the extension... its been working fine that way, no problems.

However, my take on the convenience vs wear argument - a new brick is what - $50? I don't mind running it hard and wearing the cables if it's more convenient for me.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by FTcadence
I always just wrap mine up like...

...and toss it into an old DL amenity kit bag along with a few other chargers.
I am impressed! I never thought of wrapping the wall cord around the power brick first.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Originally Posted by lostinohio
FTCadence - I'd seen those pictures online, but also seen a lot of criticism of it for the wear it puts on the electrical cords. Have you had any problem with that? How long have you been wrapping that way?
I've been wrapping my charger like that for the last 23 months with no issues (but I'm also not terribly hard on my electronics). I try not to wrap too tightly so where the cords meet the brick doesn't get too stressed in the process. It's one of the reasons why I don't toss the charger into my carry-on directly, but into an amenity bag. If the cords start to unravel, they're still somewhat contained.

I've thought about leaving the charger at home, but facing the possibility of being out with a drying/dead computer gives me a bit of anxiety.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
However, my take on the convenience vs wear argument - a new brick is what - $50? I don't mind running it hard and wearing the cables if it's more convenient for me.
A new charger is $80. I've had mine replaced once already under warranty because it was frayed, and my new one is already showing wear. I rarely travel with my MBA and I've been very careful with my replacement cable.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
If the cord starts to fray, Apple will replace it.

Regarding the extension cord, I tend to keep one in the bottom of my Tumi backpack because 1.) some outlets are very inconveniently placed or 2.) the brick won't fit into the allotted space.

It just sits there at the bottom of the bag and is hardly used.

I carry the brick and Europlug and U.S. plugs (my extension cord has a Europlug) in a Tumi electronic cord pouch (I have several that came with larger bags). Also in that pouch is a Morphie powerpack with a Gogo logo (thanks, Gogo!) and a lightning cable.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by jspira
If the cord starts to fray, Apple will replace it.
Only if still under warranty.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Only if still under warranty.
or AppleCare
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ll22949
I am impressed! I never thought of wrapping the wall cord around the power brick first.
Me either. Smart idea. I'm always worried about fraying cords though.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:18 pm

I have the original Quirky Powercurl for my MacBook and I love it!!! Too often I found myself needing the extension cord and I never carried it with me until I got the Powercurl. It's bulky but I think the new design of the Powercurl V2 cuts down on bulk. The only thing I don't care for about V2 is that the cord ends stick up out of it whereas with the original version the cord clips into the Powercurl with the cords.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:27 pm

Here's a photo of my Quirky Powercurl V1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.