Reload this Page >

Amazon Fire Phone revealed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amazon Fire Phone revealed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by nkedel
Watch out for Fire Phone II!

edit to add: or not - http://consumerist.com/2015/08/27/am...ware-divsiion/

Well, I know a couple of companies with a near-insatiable demand for Android developers, so I doubt the engineers will stay unemployed long. As for the designers, one hopes they've learned from the experience.
Some of my former colleagues ended up at Lab126, one described it as despondent employees reporting to mediocre managers and led by delusional executives.

Another described it as building a monument to Kim Jong-un, where in unlimited resources are available to build something because the Supreme Leader wants it and nobody else on the entire planet.

They also however believe the Fire might have done at least okay were it much less expensive. It was the exact same price as the Samsung Galaxy S5 at the time.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Error 601
They also however believe the Fire might have done at least okay were it much less expensive. It was the exact same price as the Samsung Galaxy S5 at the time.
That was pretty much what I said back last year when it was introduced:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23058463-post14.html

Having seen a year's worth of comments on the execution (and some super newer, cheaper phones), I suspect even pricing it at $400 to compete with the Nexus and Moto X wouldn't have saved it, but I'm sure there would have been some introductory price point (and presumably configuration changes) that would have set it on a better course - to start, at least.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I think they would have thought $400 was still much too high. I think they were contemplating an Amazon media player that made phone calls rather than a flagship or even mid-range smartphone.

Last edited by Error 601; Aug 28, 2015 at 10:16 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Error 601
I think they would have thought $400 was still much too high. I think they were contemplating an Amazon media player that made phone calls rather than a flagship or even mid-range smartphone.
Makes sense. It certainly would have been more competitive still at the Moto G price range.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by nkedel
Makes sense. It certainly would have been more competitive still at the Moto G price range.
I was thinking about buying a 2015 Moto G last week before buying my second Fire Phone and updating the software on my daily driver Fire Phone.

2015 Moto G and Fire Phone each have pros and cons, but I would say they are quite comparable. Not sure I would pay $179 net (i.e. after backing out $99 for Prime) for a Fire Phone due to anchoring (why pay $179 when I could pay $100 or less), but I do think a sideloaded Fire Phone would be worth the same as the 1GB/8GB 2015 Moto G.

I am no longer considering buying a 2015 Moto G either. The availability of 2GB/16GB configuration is quite compelling, but the processing power seems a little lacking (6-series Snapdragon would satisfy me). The SOC cost also can't be that different, I personally would be happy to pay an extra $10, which would be a big increase %-wise to the CPU/GPU BOM.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Still available. And now they're offering the 64GB for $160.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Fire-...item2ca04fdd82
32GB now down to $120. 64GB is $150. Should've waited.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
32GB now down to $120. 64GB is $150. Should've waited.
How long would you have had to wait? Sometimes it's worth having paid a bit extra for something so that you can actually have it and use it.... rather than just waiting for it.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
How long would you have had to wait? Sometimes it's worth having paid a bit extra for something so that you can actually have it and use it.... rather than just waiting for it.
Given that it was for my 8YO as solely as a gaming/music/video device, I could've been more patient. She also has an HP TouchPad. Just wanted something more portable for when traveling. Oh well.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnalogMan
I am no longer considering buying a 2015 Moto G either. The availability of 2GB/16GB configuration is quite compelling, but the processing power seems a little lacking (6-series Snapdragon would satisfy me). The SOC cost also can't be that different, I personally would be happy to pay an extra $10, which would be a big increase %-wise to the CPU/GPU BOM.
I have the early-2014 (1.5 gen) Moto G LTE as my main outside-the-US unlocked travel phone; after contemplating spending more on a new phone, I decided to just stick with this one although I did do a wipe on it just in case it was going to be weird after the 4.4->5.1 upgrade.

I'm traveling with it now. 1gb RAM, 8gb storage (+16gb microsd), and a Snapdragon 400-series chip sounds awful by today's standards, but in practice the only thing I find myself missing is a bigger screen -- I type way the heck slower on it than on my Nexus 6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.