Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Add high powered wireless router / access point to DSL Modem

Add high powered wireless router / access point to DSL Modem

Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by ObscuredByClouds

Incidentally what type of BR player are you using? Some of them have notoriously bad wireless cards in them.
It is a LG bought just under two years ago.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Craig6z
It is a LG bought just under two years ago.
OK, not sure on the exact model. Have you tried to update the firmware? Should be under Settings/Firmware or Update. Sometimes this can improve Netflix performance.

Are you having actual signal dropouts with it? For example will it sometimes not connect at all, or is it generally a speed problem when streaming?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:06 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
OK, not sure on the exact model ?
Pretty sure it is BD670

Have you tried to update the firmware?
Yes, but the last time was about 2 months ago. Will look again.

Are you having actual signal dropouts with it? For example will it sometimes not connect at all, or is it generally a speed problem when streaming?
Dropouts
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:15 pm

Have you considered a wireless network bridge. Basically instead of using an ethernet cable to connect a second WAP you are using a wireless connection between the two and then hardwire the blu ray player. Check out the article I linked as it gives a better explanation than I can here.

I would recommend the Linksys WRT54g as they can be had for a reasonable price and its a stellar little router. If you use a more expensive dual band router with two radios I believe you can even use the second radio as a second wap.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I would recommend the Linksys WRT54g as they can be had for a reasonable price....
I have one for sale with DD-WRT firmware
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have one for sale with DD-WRT firmware
And that's exactly what you want. DD-WRT is superb OP
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:31 am

LG BD670 Wifi Issues

Sorry for the Double posts here, but thought this merited it's own response.

I did a bit of research. Looks like lots of complaints regarding wifi connection problems/dropouts with that unit. Have a look at some of the negative amazon reviews, also saw quite a few posts on AVSForums about similar issues. As I said before some of these BR players have really poor wifi performance.

If I were you I would do one of two things:

1) Hard wire it with ethernet (maybe hard I know). For what it's worth I ran 100 ft. of ethernet cable through my walls and basement so I could hook up a second WAP at the other end of my house and for the deck/backyard.

2) Use the wireless network bridge with a second router as I described in the previous posts.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
powerline

Or, you could just put a powerline in between the router and the BR player. That would just eliminate the problem of wireless to that device completely.

you should be able to get a two pair (need at least two to start) 200mbs kit for about 25-30$..
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Or, you could just put a powerline in between the router and the BR player. That would just eliminate the problem of wireless to that device completely...
Which was my suggestion in post #6 and having a wireless router in AP allowed me to have both wired and wireless connectivity in the remote room.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I've experimented with powerline connections in the past, with mixed results. An electrician friend of mine surmised there are some marginal ground connections in the house (it's about 48 years old), and that could be why that is not been successful.

The Asus RT-N12 router I ordered showed up this afternoon, but I probably won't attempt to hook it up until Friday morning. I also ordered a highly rated shielded Cat6a cable to snake through my home office to allow the new router to sit on the high spot I mentioned in the original post. Even though it would be 15 feet closer to the Blu-ray player, I today recognized I needed about 35 feet of cable to attractively snake it to that point in the room. All I had around were cheap quality 20' Cat5's. Ordered a 50' quality cable from Amazon today.

Thanks again all for the feedback.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I connected the Asus RT-N12 router in "Repeater" mode, and placed it in the room's high point, about 15 feet closer to the Blu-ray. So far this solution is working very well. Looks like I picked up 7-10db at the DVD player (ran about 15 tests over a 2 hour mid-morning period), and my smartphone.

Netflix loads noticeably faster and there is no buffering. Stream speed at the player is now about 2.1MB (vs. 1.2MB a week ago).

Thanks all for the ideas. We'll see what happens over time, and whether during Netflix evening prime time there is deterioration.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.