Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Great US Hotspot Deal from Wind Mobile

Great US Hotspot Deal from Wind Mobile

Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by tentseller
I haven't used call fwd on my $39 plan. DW has the $40 Canada wide from when Wind started when DD was at Western, and call forwarding is included. Not sure about conditional. All my Wind incoming calls are fwd to my BellMo main number when I am in Bell's Toronto calling area. My plan for Wind account is outgoing, data in US and roaming

You idea sounds interesting, however I have not bought any dual SIM phones in Asia yet due to uncertainty of 17/2100 Wind support.

BTW who is the carrier for Wind in US? Got my $39 plan last wk. I have not used Wind roaming in US yet. I still have my $3/day T-Mob PYAG.
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I am getting TMobile, but the store lady said it also roams on ATT. I will be an ATT only area next week.
Heading across the river (Niagara) Sunday afternoon. Will let you know my Wind in US experience at the Falls and Buffalo.
I just tried to force it on to ATT 3g and it failed.
Dubai Stu:

Tested Wind Unlimited US roaming Sat/Sun in Niagara Falls and Buffalo:

It was 3g all the way on T-Mob. Speed good enough for Skype.

Tried forcing it to LTE, no go.
Tried to force ATT as carrier, nada.

Maybe T-Mob is the primary Wind carrier in US and ATT is used where T-Mob signal is insufficient?

The SIM worked only on 17/2100 Wind devices in Canada on Wind network; but in US it worked with my unlocked Bell BB Q10 (no 17/2100).
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Given how closely the US and Canadian phone systems are interconnected things can be different, but my experience is that your carrier gets a great deal less information when you are roaming abroad. Unauthorized device swaps often coast. I know of people who have shoved their iPhone International SIMs into hotspots on foreign shores and gotten away with it. I'm too much of a coward to try that one.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Dubai Stu:
The SIM worked only on 17/2100 Wind devices in Canada on Wind network; but in US it worked with my unlocked Bell BB Q10 (no 17/2100).
What's this about. Why is the frequency important to the sim card?

Unauthorized device swaps often coast. I know of people who have shoved their iPhone International SIMs into hotspots on foreign shores and gotten away with it. I'm too much of a coward to try that one.
How much? This is really such a big deal?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Given how closely the US and Canadian phone systems are interconnected things can be different, but my experience is that your carrier gets a great deal less information when you are roaming abroad. Unauthorized device swaps often coast. I know of people who have shoved their iPhone International SIMs into hotspots on foreign shores and gotten away with it. I'm too much of a coward to try that one.
I think that is more of an issue of "suitable" APN's while roaming. A tethering APN will nail you regardless.

When a conventional roaming session is initiated the only information relayed back to the home network is the IMSI (not the IMEI) and the phone number for authorization.

The Canadian carriers do roaming a little differently though because they don't use Syniverse for US roaming and calls and data sessions are initiated directly.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marschel
What's this about. Why is the frequency important to the sim card?

How much? This is really such a big deal?
It is important for Wind is 17/2100 in Canada. You need a device with those band to use Wind service.

The statement was made re: US roaming you are able to use it on other bands and not just the Wind bands.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Well, nothing new?! Why did you mention it?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marschel
Well, nothing new?! Why did you mention it?
Because I feel like it.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:19 am

Hope you're feeling better now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.