Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Macbook Air--13 or 11 inch?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Macbook Air--13 or 11 inch?

I've been asking FT members about external hd space for MBAs as I'm about to buy a refurb. I was planning to get the 13" but now, from reading feedback from that thread, I'm considering the 11" as an option, though still leaning toward 13".

Any opinions? I'm a light traveler (one carry-on, one personal bag) but visually challenged, so thinking the larger would be better for that. I plan to also travel with an iPad for watching movies. I've tried using iPad only, but it just doesn't work for me, and my MBPro is too much. Thinking the MBA will be my sweet spot. Thanks!
Old May 25, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
13"

You'll thank your eyes later. Not to mention it's not much bigger than the 11".
Old May 25, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'd go 13. The 13 is still exceptionally light, and it has a (IMO) more usable screen and keyboard. Plus given your interest in expandable storage. the 13 inch models have an SD card slot which you might find appealing for lightweight expansion. (Though I see you are considering a refurb... not sure when they put the SD card slot in, if it's only newer generations...)
Old May 25, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the 11 nothing beats it.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL GM, Hertz 5*, Marriott Plat
I recently purchased an MBA 11" and it has worked well for me. The iPad was too inflexible for me and wanted a full size keyboard in a somewhat similar form factor. The lightness of the MBA 11" has effectively made it a solid iPad replacement for my purposes.

However, if I went into the purchase knowing what I know now, I probably would go with a 13" instead. The extra screen real-estate would be nice. Also, with photography as a hobby, it's annoying to have to bring an SD card adapter everywhere I go, since the 13" has one already.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Right javabytes, I was thinking that too, but thanks for the tip to check to make sure the refurb has that.

Thanks everyone for the validation, I think am on the right track with the 13".
Old May 26, 2014, 6:38 am

If you want to actually work on a plane get the 11 inch

If you intend to do any significant amount of typing on the plane get the 11 inch.
In many economy seats even the 13 inch air is unusable if the person in front leans the seat back even a small amount. The lower screen height of the 11 inch means that it is still usable. If you always fly business or first or if you don't intend to type on the plane get the 13 inch.
Old May 26, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by ggf9191
If you intend to do any significant amount of typing on the plane get the 11 inch.
In many economy seats even the 13 inch air is unusable if the person in front leans the seat back even a small amount. The lower screen height of the 11 inch means that it is still usable. If you always fly business or first or if you don't intend to type on the plane get the 13 inch.
I must agree. I have issues with using my 13" MBP in economy. Thankfully I have a full Windows 8 tablet for such tasks.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Granted - I don't work in Excel. I think for my line of work, the 11" is awesome.

I can type in any seat - no issues when the guy in front reclines. It has a full size keyboard and - most importantly, offers incredible portability. It fits INSIDE a binder or zippered portfolio.

It depends on what you do. I do a lot of stuff with MS Word, and presentations (Powerpoint/Keynote). The 11 is perfect... it will plug into any projector, run all day, and I can type/prepare presentations on the flight there/back. Otherwise it rides in my briefcase and I forget it's even there.

I love the portability and don't miss the screen size. Have at it.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:20 pm
Suspended

I'd like to correct my post in your other thread...

Go for the 11" MBA (I own one for home) if you aren't doing intensive data processing - don't need to compare documents etc. Otherwise opt for the bigger screen.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I have the 13"; I love it. If I could justify the cost (i.e. travelling enough), I'd have both .
Old May 26, 2014, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have both, different generations. I find it depends on my use, but when I travel with one of them, I'm almost all Ipad now, it is the 11 about 90% of the time. I use the 13 as a "desktop" at home.
Old May 26, 2014, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have both, different generations. I find it depends on my use, but when I travel with one of them, I'm almost all Ipad now, it is the 11 about 90% of the time. I use the 13 as a "desktop" at home.
Any reason why you don't 'dock' your MBA when at home and make use of an external screen?
Old May 26, 2014, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by GarethK
Any reason why you don't 'dock' your MBA when at home and make use of an external screen?
Don't really need it. I used to use a big monitor at home with a dock but if I need that now I tend to stay in my office. I have used an iPad as a second screen for a MB Air while traveling and it works well. I just typically don't need it.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

Don't really need it. I used to use a big monitor at home with a dock but if I need that now I tend to stay in my office. I have used an iPad as a second screen for a MB Air while traveling and it works well. I just typically don't need it.

Ah that makes sense. I have a home office with a 23" monitor plus the same setup in the office - I do like the Lenovo docking stations as espically when moving between travel and office is so often. I think you can get the same thing for Apple laptops - ish anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.