Best SIM Card Option in Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best SIM Card Option in Asia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
You can get them all over, the Circle K at the airport even used to sell them (but not anymore i think). Ask for help setting it up. Your hotel can help for sure for a bit of a tip.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
You can get them all over, the Circle K at the airport even used to sell them (but not anymore i think). Ask for help setting it up. Your hotel can help for sure for a bit of a tip.
Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Everyone says to use simpatico but I need it for an iPad Air, is this possible? All of the instructions involve a texting sequence I'm not sure can be completed with an iPad?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
You'll need to setup w a phone. Any shop can setup the sim card for you on their phone and then insert to your ipad. SIM cards cost about $2 so don't let them rip you off too much

Simpati is the name but it's always a funny laugh when ios autocorrect makes it simpatico (which in spanish means "all good")

Simpati is the most expensive while other companies have unlimited plans for much cheaper. XL was the best last time i was in Bali.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive
Until very recently, Japan did not offer *any* prepaid 'disposable' SIMs. They now allow prepaid non-rechargeable SIMs for foreign travellers which usually have a fixed 1-3Gb data usage, or a fixed airtime use. These SIMs also expire automatically after a fixed time period, usually 14 days or 30 days. The Japanese have long been highly paranoid about filthy foreigners using cellphones for *CRIME*.. literally even posting warning posters at train stations - "don't loan your phone to a foreigner" etc etc, when ironically it is obviously the yakuza who would be the worst offenders of 'burner phones'..

This has always meant a captive market for cellphone/SIM *rental* in Japan too. I have usually used JCR Corp based in Hawaii for my visits but there are several companies in the market. They will rent 3G/4G SIMs from DoCoMo or Softbank that work with any WCDMA2100-capable smartphone (many Nokias even supported this 10+ years ago).

Here's an example: B-Mobile Japan offering the prepaid fixed-use SIMs
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/japan_sim.html

Basically, if you're a light data/phone user and visiting for 7 days or less, stick to the prepaid SIMs. If you'll be surfing, translating, mapping or visiting for 2 weeks or more, order a SIM from the rental agencies; it will cost a bit more but also be *unlimited* usage.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
I've been using a Singaporean SingTel Happy prepaid for my travels in Asia for the past couple of years as it has a free roaming in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, UK and USA for a pretty reasonable pricing. One SIM card and phone number keeps it simple.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:56 pm

For a multi-country Asian SIM card I'm not sure you how you beat the AIS SIM2Fly. It's coming in at $2.50 per GB in 20+ countries (4GB for $10), it's reloadable, does voice and SMS if needed.

That means Google Fi and Gigsky are 300% more expensive and T-Mobile is 180% more expensive per GB.

SIM2Fly Asian plan price applies to:
  1. Australia
  2. Brunei
  3. Cambodia
  4. China
  5. Hong Kong
  6. India
  7. Indonesia
  8. Japan
  9. Laos
  10. Macau
  11. Malaysia
  12. Myanmar
  13. Nepal
  14. Philippines
  15. Qatar
  16. Singapore
  17. South Korea
  18. Sri Lanka
  19. Taiwan
  20. Vietnam
  21. Tibet

Then if you want to use the SIM2Fly worldwide (80+ countries) use the worldwide plan which comes in at less than $7 per GB. It's now also sold as an eSIM, ( https://esim2fly.com/ ) so get it anywhere you get email. If you keep the SIM2Fly valid and active, you can use it for years, topping up and adding plans as needed.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have used my Singaporean prepaid card (Starhub) for two years now all over Asia. Cheap, fast, works in most Asia-Pacific countries + US, CND, UK* and importantly you also bypass the Great Firewall of China. It's not totally anonymous as you need to present a passport on purchasing it. It stays alive as long as you add some value in a 180-day period. Next time you're transitioning in Changi, pick one up.

Here are some data plans in Singapore dollars (about US$ 0,75) - maybe not the cheapest when compared to local SIMs, but simple, and you're good to go from the moment the wheels hit the tarmac.

1-Day 1GB S$3
3-Day 1GB S$5
1-Week 1GB S$8
4-Week 1GB S$10

4-Week 2GB S$18
4-Week 4GB S$25

*Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States of America

https://www.starhub.com/personal/mob...appy-roam.html
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by boardsports
For a multi-country Asian SIM card I'm not sure you how you beat the AIS SIM2Fly. It's coming in at $2.50 per GB in 20+ countries (4GB for $10), it's reloadable, does voice and SMS if needed.

That means Google Fi and Gigsky are 300% more expensive and T-Mobile is 180% more expensive per GB.

SIM2Fly Asian plan price applies to:
  1. Australia
  2. Brunei
  3. Cambodia
  4. China
  5. Hong Kong
  6. India
  7. Indonesia
  8. Japan
  9. Laos
  10. Macau
  11. Malaysia
  12. Myanmar
  13. Nepal
  14. Philippines
  15. Qatar
  16. Singapore
  17. South Korea
  18. Sri Lanka
  19. Taiwan
  20. Vietnam
  21. Tibet

Then if you want to use the SIM2Fly worldwide (80+ countries) use the worldwide plan which comes in at less than $7 per GB. It's now also sold as an eSIM, ( https://esim2fly.com/ ) so get it anywhere you get email. If you keep the SIM2Fly valid and active, you can use it for years, topping up and adding plans as needed.
For most of those countries, I would just use https://www.airalo.com/world SIM4Crew even as it's data-only. But it's valid for 90 days and covers countries in Europe too and with 20GB for $40 to spread over 90 days, I am more likely to get my money's worth out of it.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:55 pm

If you keep the SIM2Fly valid and active, you can use it for years, topping up and adding plans as needed.
Sim2Fly isn't the easiest to keep active if you don't have a Thai bank account. You have to go through third party top up services and the physical sims are usually registered to someone else if you get it outside Thailand via reseller. esim2fly is run by MobileTopup.com. Not sure if you need to provide a passport number to register it to you or if they register it to another person. The top up services can be finicky about which credit card verifications they'll accept Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

I've used Sim2fly in Japan and would consider a service with a more direct payment system but probably not Airalo. Airalo uses China Unicom roaming in Asia including Japan. I went with 3HK esim last time https://www.three.com.hk/eSIMMall/ch...x.jsp?lang=chi 10 days for $138 HKD or ~ $17.71 USD. Fair use is 500MB high speed per day and after that it gets throttled.
China/ Macau/ Taiwan/ Japan/ Korea/ Singapore/ Malaysia/ Philippines/ Thailand/ Myanmar/ Vietnam/ India/ Indonesia/ Australia/ USA/ Canada/ Guam/ France/ UK/ Italy*/ Ireland*/ Sweden/ Denmark/ Austria/ Mexico/ Sri Lanka/ Israel/ Kuwait
Translate from Japanese for more info on how to keep 3HK topped up https://esimdb.com/ja/blog/3hk-esim-recharge-process/
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For most of those countries, I would just use https://www.airalo.com/world SIM4Crew even as it's data-only. But it's valid for 90 days and covers countries in Europe too and with 20GB for $40 to spread over 90 days, I am more likely to get my money's worth out of it.
This particular plan looks great - $2 per GB. But aside from this large one, all Sim4crew plans listed here: https://www.sim4crew.com/en/rates/bundle are priced between $7.5 - $50 per GB. Also Airalo does not disclose and details on speeds expected - is this 40GB of full speed or FUP speed. They do display "Unlimited" data packages without disclosure this would be worth checking.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:18 am
Suspended

This particular plan looks great - $2 per GB. But aside from this large one, all Sim4crew plans listed here: https://www.sim4crew.com/en/rates/bundle are priced between $7.5 - $50 per GB. Also Airalo does not disclose and details on speeds expected - is this 40GB of full speed or FUP speed. They do display "Unlimited" data packages without disclosure this would be worth checking.
I haven’t used S4C in eastern Asia yet enough to know; but for the Airalo 20GB@$40 eSIMs, the speed in Europe has been at least as fast as the mobile phone data connections of my local contacts using their own major national carrier plans provided by their professional services employers or the governments. Even during times when I’ve been running up the cellular data counter in intense, big ways.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 20, 2019 at 3:24 am
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:44 am

As a minor footnote, Airalo has a well deserved excellent reputation for quick and accurate Customer Service. I'd suggest you connect with them for questions about the Sim4Crew product. I'm contemplating that item for an upcoming European trip. They've always given me accurate, concise information via email.

Also, the S4C plans on their website include a +44 phone number and voice service for the rates you've seen I believe. Airalo is data only, so not really apples & apples comparison.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

About the Airalo SIM4Crew of which I wrote, it’s data-only. But I use it with data-only connectivity as a way to do VOIP calls, SMS from apps and so on from non-local numbers, and that’s been fine for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.