Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prorating AT&T Global Data Plans

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Prorating AT&T Global Data Plans

My phone billing cycle ends on the 20th of the month.

I am going to be traveling internationally from May 16 to May 24th and planned on adding a Global data package on. I was wondering how the prorating works between months – does the cost get pro-rated as well as the data?

I spoke to the AT&T chat support which basically told me that the cost gets prorated but the data does not. This would be great.. but I don’t believe it. Does anyone have any experience with this?

ME: so let me see this example
ME: I add the 300mb data ($60) on my account tomorrow, about half a month from my billing cycle date. You are saying I would be charged $30 for this billing cycle and have 300mb available until the 20th, then next month I could cancel the data plan on June 5th and I would be charged another $30 and have an additional 300mb to use from May 21 to June 5th?

AT&T: That is correct you will lose the data the day that you cancel it.

ME: interesting
ME: so i can basically get 600mb of data for a total of $60 by doing on those dates

AT&T: That is correct

ME: i just want to confirm before i add this

AT&T: ok go right ahead

ME: I add the $60/300mb plan tomorrow, I get charged about $30 this statement and have a full 300mb available until May 20th. Then I cancel the plan on June 5th (30 days later), get charged $30 on that next statement and have an additional 300MB to use from May 21- June 5th? The data definitely does not get pro-rated but the cost does? so a total of $60 for 600mb in this situation?
ME: I just didn't want to use 600mb of data and then get surprised with a large overage bill.

AT&T: That is correct
AT&T: Your data is not prorated

ME: great
Old May 5, 2014, 10:50 am

I think that is actually how it would work. When I switch from the old AT&T mobile share plan to the mobile share value plan in the middle of the billing cycle, my Data starts over immediately from 0 until next billing. The $ was prorated but the data started fresh.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: United
I'm investigating this as well, as I'll be doing my first overseas trip after losing the grandfathered unlimited international data plan from my previous employer's plan. I do believe I saw some warning on their website that when canceling, the data would be prorated for the period and you might then end up going over for data you'd previously used. So say don't go use up all 300 MB on Day 1 of the billing cycle, and then cancel.

I have also heard it's easy now to buy up to more data if you exceed the package in the middle of the billing cycle.

But I have no firsthand experience yet, and am also curious to hear the answers from those who've done this.
Old May 6, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
That makes sense. They used to pro-rate both the $$ and data but my understanding is that they now require 1 month minimum as too many people were signing up before the trip and cancelling afterwards.

However as noted above I think you can sign up anytime during the month and either pro-rate from the signup date or backdate to the beginning of the billing cycle. If you are going to use a lot of data and span 2 periods, then better to follow the plan outlined in the full post where you get full data for 2 billing periods. Just to be safe I would signup at the beginning of the 1st period and note your calendar to cancel near the end of the 2nd period.
Old May 6, 2014, 6:32 pm

With ATT, you are best buying the second level tier of data (I think 300mb) but it also gives you roaming on Swisscom, BT, and many others.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Are you looking at adding an International Roaming - Data add-on service? If so, there is a one month minimum (I've used this many times and have never been able to use it for less than a month):

300 MB Data Global Add-On - Includes Wi-Fi for iOS/Android Devices in Select Countries
$60.00/month

Keep up with email and browse the web with any AT&T mobile device (iPhone, Smartphone, Tablet and Laptop) when you travel abroad.

300MB of data usage in over 150 countries with an overage rate of $30 for each 120MBs of additional data. For a complete list of discounted countries, visit att.com/globalcountries. Rates outside these discounted countries is $.0195/KB.

Includes 1GB of Wi-Fi data usage at participating hotspots available through the AT&T Wi-Fi International App. Available countries and cities listed at att.com/intlwifi.

Currently available for iPhone/iPad iOS 4.3 or higher, Android smartphones OS 2.2 or higher and Android tablets OS 3.2 or higher.

One month minimum required.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Are you looking at adding an International Roaming - Data add-on service? If so, there is a one month minimum (I've used this many times and have never been able to use it for less than a month):
So I have a one week trip this month, and my billing cycle started yesterday (5/6). What's the easiest way to just bill for one month - do I choose to backdate it to 5/6, to line up with my billing cycle, or choose to start today? If I choose today, is it going to pro-rate for 29/30 days this cycle and 1/30 the next cycle? Or will it let me cancel say before June 6, and just charge me for the full month?
Old May 23, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
I've had good success calling the AT&T international support number: (916) 843-4685 Each time they were able to setup the data such that while the cost was pro-rated, the data was metered as one big bunch. And they set it up so that it automatically cancels after 30 days.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:11 pm

I would like to update people that this will no longer work effective 10/13/2014.

AT&T just announced a new World Passport packages which now includes unlimited txt for the same price as the old Global package.

Here's the kick, Passport package is 1 time charge, automatically expires in 30 days, and is NOT prorated.

The old Global package is still available, but now it has a 3-months minimum.

Hope this helps.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/int...ing.html?tab=1
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Note that this has all changed in the last couple of weeks.

Previously "Add-On" data was something you could buy, use for the duration of the trip, for whatever prorated amount you wanted, and then cancel. Within the last year, language about a one month minimum was inserted but it never seemed to take effect -- you could still cancel after the number of days you needed.

As of October 10, Add On data no longer exists as an available option. In its place are two new plans: Global Data and Passport. The price and megabytes tiers are but Global Data is a three month minimum ongoing plan, and Passport is a one-time purchase good for 30 days.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is really too bad. It was such a fantastic deal.

Yet another reason to move to T-Mo. Just gotta wait out the end of the AT&T contract.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did outgoing text messaging get added as part of this change? I don't think I saw that before.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by josephstern

Yet another reason to move to T-Mo. Just gotta wait out the end of the AT&T contract.
I'm contract-free (always have been) and am a fan of T-Mobile's business practices, but the spottier coverage is a yellow flag, and the fact that there's a hard cap (not slowdown, but cutoff) of very low MB on domestic roaming kills it. I can't be just flat cut off. Throttled would be OK, but cut off is a non-starter.

Did outgoing text messaging get added as part of this change? I don't think I saw that before.
Previously, there was "Data Global Add-on", which was only about data. I believe there was an international voice add-on of some sort, and texting was in that or in an associated add-on to the add-on. Dunno -- only really cared about data, myself.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like this new plan. Especially the texting and that I don't have to remember to turn it off!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

T-Mobile will pay for contract buy-outs. Yu should see what they will pay for yours. I have no idea what the details are. I've had them for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.