AT&T to offer inflight Wifi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum

AT&T to challenge gogo in delivering in-flight Wifi.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A3R1DH20140428

I'll be glad to see this. gogo is way overpriced for what they deliver.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Agreed, everywhere I've used Gogo, it's been overpriced and terrible.

However, I doubt airlines are going to install equipment for multiple services on one plane. As an end user, you'll still be stuck with whatever service the airline chose to install, along with the prices that company wants to charge. Hopefully this at least spurs real innovation to get the service working better.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Did I read it right, service slated for late 2015? I am not holding my breath.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by HDQDD

I'll be glad to see this. gogo is way overpriced for what they deliver.
Big time. Gogo's rates have climbed into the usurosphere.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by javabytes
However, I doubt airlines are going to install equipment for multiple services on one plane.
True, but just having another player in the market will (hopefully) force gogo to invest in their product. Of course, that would also likely require changing a plane's hardware...
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I think this is going to be more difficult for AT&T than they think it will be. onboard systems, getting LAND to AIR communications to supply LTE data working strongly. 5 miles SEEMS like a shorter distance than SATELLITE to PLANE, but I think based on land based stations it might be more difficult.

They might also have to get some FCC access to allowing cellular data connections on planes (if they are going that route)

disclaimer: currently long GOGO stock from yesterday nader
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I think this is going to be more difficult for AT&T than they think it will be. onboard systems, getting LAND to AIR communications to supply LTE data working strongly. 5 miles SEEMS like a shorter distance than SATELLITE to PLANE, but I think based on land based stations it might be more difficult.

They might also have to get some FCC access to allowing cellular data connections on planes (if they are going that route)

disclaimer: currently long GOGO stock from yesterday nader
It isn't difficult for AT&T at all. AT&T owns choice spectrum assets. Propagating signal to airplanes can be done numerous ways and AT&T's system will be far superior to Go-go. As Airlines have multiple wireless competitors, Go-go vs AT&T and satellite options all become utilized. Transatlantic will require satellite and airlines are equipping planes for that.

It was shameful for the press to mention Malaysian in that article as it is completely unrelated in any way shape or form and I won't go into details as I will get moderated out. The press is a bunch of zealots and journalists tend to be some of the worst people since they do not know what they are talking about most of the time. Reading newspapers or journalism today is like going through a junk pile.

Last edited by adamj023; Apr 29, 2014 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by adamj023
It isn't difficult for AT&T at all.
availability of the spectrum isn't the logistical or technical problem here.

I'll guess we'll see though.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
It's the ground

AT&T's strength is the capacity of their ground network. They have a huge investment in ground back haul, which is growing constantly. With one business unit leasing space from a different one within AT&T will only fund further back haul investments.

Combine that with the fact that they won't be the first one to build the first factory, nor the first one to build the second, they are at a huge advantage. They can look at the STC process that GoGo went through with their hardware providers, and jump over them to certification.

And, when it comes to the plane, if the systems can use the same antenna technology, or if the existing holes can be used to swap platforms, the carriers will just pick the one that gives them the best spiff for every subscription.

I am excited to see more competition. Let's hope that the end result is a product that is worth the price paid.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn
I am excited to see more competition. Let's hope that the end result is a product that is worth the price paid.
After getting scalped by Gogo last night while trying to work with people in the office on a deadline I am thrilled to hear about competition...It would be ideal if people had their choice of carriers even in a plane.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I hope that they will make it free (or potentially an addon) for mobile phone customers already with AT&T.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
GOGO shares -30% last two days on the news, put a fork in it
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:13 pm

Given the length of Gogo contracts and the performance of high throughput satellite connectivity (proven by the ViaSat Exede Inflight WiFi service on JetBlue's rollout), there is definitely no guarantee that an upgraded air-to-ground system is going to have much impact in 2016. Even Gogo has decided to play catchup in their investment of satellite offerings.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHX392
GOGO shares -30% last two days on the news, put a fork in it

I don't think they're done, but this is a good example of what happens when you stop innovating.

Kodak is another example of a company that failed to innovate and watched the digital camera market eat its lunch. Ironically Kodak actually had digital imagery as far back as 1975...
Old May 2, 2014, 1:30 am

I don't think they're done, but this is a good example of what happens when you stop innovating.
Especially when you stop before having a product that is reliable and does what it's supposed to do.

Kodak is another example of a company that failed to innovate and watched the digital camera market eat its lunch. Ironically Kodak actually had digital imagery as far back as 1975...
The difference being that Kodak was beaten by a revolutionary product with new features, and Gogo is taking a beating because their product never met the expectations of those who paid for it in the first place. Anecdotal, but IME the very existence of a competitor who does the job right will be enough to drive them out of business.

Besides, Kodak market cap peaked at ~ 30bn in 97; Gogo was never in the same league, even without adjusting for inflation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.